Science and Religion

November 1st, 2019 at 3:57:14 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: FrGamble
So it is your contention that dark matter/energy popped into being out of nothing or do you think dark matter/energy is eternal and the source of all that exists and is not contingent on anything else for its existence?
Other than it popping into existence, the latter is pretty good.

You might try it sometime when you are ruminating about the infiniteness of time. Try looking at it through the lens of time not passing.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 1st, 2019 at 4:27:54 PM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: petroglyph
There is nothing but present moments.

You are giving your own definition for time, [controlling the parameters]. I think Einstein would agree with me, that time doesn't pass [one moment stacked "contingent" on another, or lego's through the floor]. Time only exists relatively to space. Time isn't linear, so it has no end, and no beginning.

All time is contained in the now, it needs no beginning, and doesn't end.

The other question, "what is nothing" is similar, especially with the advent of dark matter/dark energy. I don't believe "nothing" exists, in other words, there is no "nothing".

But thanks for playing.

November 1st, 2019 at 4:28:15 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: rxwine
FrG, do you still believe science has to disprove your god? That that is a valid argument?

If so, how would science go about disproving your god?

I'm just trying to point out, it's not even a reasonable or logical requirement to ask for.

I agree with you that it would not be logical or possible for science to try to prove or disprove God's existence.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 1st, 2019 at 4:29:54 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Face
Oh, well that seems about the easiest thing in the world, since they went and got all dogmatic about it. Bible is the word of God. God is infallible. Prove God wrong, you disprove God Himself.

Now find one thing in the Bible that's false.

See how easy that was?

If thw Bible was a scientific textbook written by God you would have a point.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 1st, 2019 at 5:25:46 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
FrG, can you tell us what you think your activity will be in Heaven?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 1st, 2019 at 5:57:21 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: rxwine
FrG, can you tell us what you think your activity will be in Heaven?

Praising and worshiping God. Like one big perfect Church worship and wedding banquet. I just know it will be perfect.
November 1st, 2019 at 6:02:29 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I just know it will be perfect.
I used to have the same certainty about my culinary skills, my memory and my retirement finances.
November 1st, 2019 at 8:35:19 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Praising and worshiping God. Like one big perfect Church worship.

Wow, talk about something to run
away from as fast as you can. Give
me reincarnation any day.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 1st, 2019 at 8:37:37 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote:
FrGamble an expanding universe

Where is it expanding to.

"In the standard physics theory, the galaxies are all getting farther apart; that is the expansion of the Universe. Yet in the way the theory describes it (I mean in General Relativity Theory) none of the galaxies are actually moving. All that is happening is that the amount of space (vacuum) in between them is increasing."
Richard Muller, Professor of Physics at UC Berkeley

So no, the galaxies are not expanding,
they are in a fixed position. Confused
yet? That's because none of this is
settled science.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 3rd, 2019 at 12:15:27 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Evenbob
So no, the galaxies are not expanding, they are in a fixed position.
Confused yet? That's because none of this is settled science.
Or a settled vocabulary.
So we might as well allow FrGamble to have his dreams, however he chooses to express them.