The Atheist Thread (Long Time Coming)

November 17th, 2019 at 3:19:46 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Science is at least self-correcting when it is found in error. Sometimes it takes a lot of time. But resistence is eventually futile.

Theism is so full of flaws they have to call it holy. That's a joke, though probably true.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 17th, 2019 at 3:56:45 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: rxwine
Science is at least self-correcting when it is found in error. Sometimes it takes a lot of time. But resistence is eventually futile.

Theism is so full of flaws they have to call it holy. That's a joke, though probably true.

Science and theism are incomparable.
Science's whole existence requires questioning itself.
Theism can have no questions.
November 18th, 2019 at 7:55:38 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Quote: Tanko

His book received 4.4 stars out of a five star rating from 422 reviewers.

Just an FYI

Those ratings attempt to reflect what percentage of people who read the book liked it. That has nothing to do with the actual value of the content of the book (which I haven’t read, and won’t read).

When a book is written for a specific audience, it tends to get good reviews. Ann Coulter gets 4.5 stars. Bill Maher gets 4.5 stars.
November 18th, 2019 at 10:34:11 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Mosca
Just an FYI

Those ratings attempt to reflect what percentage of people who read the book liked it. That has nothing to do with the actual value of the content of the book .

That's why I only read the negative
reviews. People who read a book
and take the time to write
a detailed neg review have a
much more valuable opinion than
the hundreds of 2 sentence
positives a book gets.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 1st, 2019 at 8:59:41 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Martin Buber - Tales of Hasidism Vol2
There is a famous story told in Chassidic literature that addresses this very question. The Master [teacher] teaches the student that God created everything in the world to be appreciated, since everything is here to teach us a lesson.

One cleaver student asks: 'What lesson can we learn from atheists? Why did God create them?'

The Master responds: 'God created atheists to teach us the most important lesson of them all -- the lesson of true compassion. You see, when an atheist performs an act of charity, visits someone who is sick, helps someone in need, and cares for the world, he is not doing so because of some religious teaching. He does not believe that God commanded him to perform this act. In fact, he does not believe in God at all, so his acts are based on an inner sense of morality. And look at the kindness he can bestow upon others simply because he feels it to be right.'

'This means,' the Master continued, 'that when someone reaches out to you for help, you should never say 'I pray that God will help you.' Instead for the moment, you should become an atheist, imagine that there is no God who can help, and say: 'I will help you'.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
December 1st, 2019 at 10:58:19 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Face
He does not believe that God commanded him to perform this act. In fact, he does not believe in God at all, so his acts are based on an inner sense of morality.

This is what I've been saying
for 5 years here.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 11th, 2020 at 8:35:39 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Moved
July 28th, 2020 at 10:38:47 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
This guy is a bit chatty/snarky for my taste so I suggest you tune in no earlier than in the link provided where it starts at the point where he starts the list

https://youtu.be/hprmo3CifJ0?t=161

]
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
July 28th, 2020 at 11:00:12 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: odiousgambit
This guy is a bit chatty/snarky for my taste

He is full of himself. But he's a
kid, so I forgive him. He makes
being an atheist way more
complicated that it is. Some
people collect stamps, I do not.
I don't need to make a video
explaining my position to all
stamp collectors. Simply put,
they're hobby bores me. Religion
is just a hobby, it's not for everybody.

He is right about one thing. God
people assume atheists think and
see the world just like they do.
Nope...
July 28th, 2020 at 2:07:30 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: odiousgambit
This guy is a bit chatty/snarky for my taste so I suggest you tune in no earlier than in the link provided where it starts at the point where he starts the list

https://youtu.be/hprmo3CifJ0?t=161

]

I think somewhere from childhood on, every mystery resolving to a natural world answer decreased my belief in supernatural unknowns. Certainly, there are still enough unanswered questions, but I’ve never had anything resolve to something supernatural yet.

That, and plenty of skepticism with biblical explanations which made little or no sense to me, even with the best answers they had to give.

The first problem as a child, is you have to get over the idea that adults know what they’re talking about, and then there is also the power of group think if you are part of a church and ritual. Then there is also the influence of old texts being venerated by age.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?