The Atheist Thread (Long Time Coming)

July 28th, 2020 at 2:44:49 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
but I’ve never had anything resolve to something supernatural yet.

The last possible answer to any
question is the supernatural or
god. Dead last.

Quote:
plenty of skepticism with biblical explanations which made little or no sense to me, even with the best answers they had to give..

That's the problem when dealing
with god people. It's not that I
have a problem with their Bible
stories, it's that they DON'T have
a problem with them. It's not
what's wrong with me, it's what's
wrong with them that's the issue.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 28th, 2020 at 2:49:26 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I forgot the other reason that keeps kids in flock. Damnation. Even if it's not a hell fire preaching church, there's plenty of hinting around that it's going to be a bad idea to stray.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 28th, 2020 at 3:42:52 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
I forgot the other reason that keeps kids in flock. Damnation. .

That's been called the core of
the Xtian religion. Fear. The details
were worked out long after Jesus
died as a way to scare people into
converting. Worked like a charm
then, still works today.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 1st, 2021 at 6:38:50 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I may have this wrong, because it is actually over my head, but I believe the Baryon number, which in standard theories is conserved [a set amount, can't be created or destroyed] ... and is about the number of quarks and the other forms quarks can take. 

Which is neither here nor there, except it is discussed in this video, a scientific look at the question "why is there something instead of nothing?"

If you want to skip some of this already short video start at about 6:40

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baryon_number
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 25th, 2022 at 3:56:54 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
ya know, I actually think Tyson is kind of stupid ... or maybe it's just that he thinks we are stupid

https://www.dailywire.com/news/neil-degrasse-tyson-tries-to-ruin-christmas-again
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 25th, 2022 at 4:48:09 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: odiousgambit
ya know, I actually think Tyson is kind of stupid ... or maybe it's just that he thinks we are stupid

https://www.dailywire.com/news/neil-degrasse-tyson-tries-to-ruin-christmas-again

Its much ado about nothing
I love science
I dont love this meaningless gibberish
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 25th, 2022 at 7:49:33 PM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
My problem with atheism is atheism actually ignores science. If the question of the existence and qualities of the universe itself are eternally uncertain, people with beliefs are smarter than me to jump to conclusions. We cannot pinpoint and define the universe and space-time itself, it will be impossible until the universe ends. There will always be black swans until the last atom spins. Lately upon seeing AI, I'm very disappointed with our true capabilities or those of our descendants whether biological or artificial derived from our own incompleteness and deficiencies. I would prefer atheists and theists choose to be agnostic. Too much needs to be known and too much can never be known. You can spend your entire life investigating time, existence, reality, etc., and you will never be satisfied, there will always be more information needed. Think about the entire universe existing simultaneously, it is unfathomable, then people want to tell me they're certain about the existence or non-existence of God, fuck them those ignorant children.

Here is your atheist:

I know there isn't a God because I reach my hand out and God won't touch it. I know there isn't a God, because I look to see him and I cannot. I know there isn't a God, because I listen for God and I can't hear him. I know there isn't a God, because I think of God and I feel more powerful because I exist I'm pretty sure. I smell for God and all I can smell is the world around me. I have never tasted God, all I can taste is what I can put inside my mouth and I've never tasted God. For this reason, I conclude there is no God. Although I'm told by people who have spent more time investigating life, the universe, time, existence, etc., than I ever have cared to do, I conclude it is not necessary to wait for more information, I already know.

Defining a theist is much more complicated. We're not really able to have a certain definition of God or Gods. In my opinion, theists which throw the bibles of the worlds away to define God or Gods, are much more reliable, those which look to science to draw conclusions are much more reliable. Religious people are very difficult to pin down, everything is "the Bible, Torah, Quaron says" and I tell them man wrote those and they all tell me, no God wrote those. These kinds of people tend to believe what they want to believe.

What I do know about atheists, I think the world is better off without them. Look at the billions of people in China and Russia who don't believe in God and they'll fuck us all or one at a time and be happy destroying us and them. What they are doing to their own people, they will do to anyone they can. Their societies are based on atheism and their golden rule is the malevolent kind. If I were to think of the craziest thing to stop them with the least amount of violence, it would be using hot air balloons bombing them with free weed to open their minds and slow down their motivations based on physical and emotional desires. They're pushing their fentanyl on us, we need to fuck them back.
December 25th, 2022 at 8:05:22 PM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Quote: odiousgambit

Wow. He has joined the ranks of the pedophiles.
December 25th, 2022 at 8:31:55 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: 1nickelmiracle
My problem with atheism is atheism actually ignores science. If the question of the existence and qualities of the universe itself are eternally uncertain, people with beliefs are smarter than me to jump to conclusions. We cannot pinpoint and define the universe and space-time itself, it will be impossible until the universe ends. There will always be black swans until the last atom spins. Lately upon seeing AI, I'm very disappointed with our true capabilities or those of our descendants whether biological or artificial derived from our own incompleteness and deficiencies. I would prefer atheists and theists choose to be agnostic. Too much needs to be known and too much can never be known. You can spend your entire life investigating time, existence, reality, etc., and you will never be satisfied, there will always be more information needed. Think about the entire universe existing simultaneously, it is unfathomable, then people want to tell me they're certain about the existence or non-existence of God, fuck them those ignorant children.

Here is your atheist:

I know there isn't a God because I reach my hand out and God won't touch it. I know there isn't a God, because I look to see him and I cannot. I know there isn't a God, because I listen for God and I can't hear him. I know there isn't a God, because I think of God and I feel more powerful because I exist I'm pretty sure. I smell for God and all I can smell is the world around me. I have never tasted God, all I can taste is what I can put inside my mouth and I've never tasted God. For this reason, I conclude there is no God. Although I'm told by people who have spent more time investigating life, the universe, time, existence, etc., than I ever have cared to do, I conclude it is not necessary to wait for more information, I already know.

Defining a theist is much more complicated. We're not really able to have a certain definition of God or Gods. In my opinion, theists which throw the bibles of the worlds away to define God or Gods, are much more reliable, those which look to science to draw conclusions are much more reliable. Religious people are very difficult to pin down, everything is "the Bible, Torah, Quaron says" and I tell them man wrote those and they all tell me, no God wrote those. These kinds of people tend to believe what they want to believe.

What I do know about atheists, I think the world is better off without them. Look at the billions of people in China and Russia who don't believe in God and they'll fuck us all or one at a time and be happy destroying us and them. What they are doing to their own people, they will do to anyone they can. Their societies are based on atheism and their golden rule is the malevolent kind. If I were to think of the craziest thing to stop them with the least amount of violence, it would be using hot air balloons bombing them with free weed to open their minds and slow down their motivations based on physical and emotional desires. They're pushing their fentanyl on us, we need to fuck them back.

First, I don't know how you arrive at the definition of a typical atheist. I know many, and I have never heard one say that they know there is no (insert specific god here). Generally, the statement is, "I have seen no evidence to convince me of your claims". Defining an atheist is not complicated at all, "a person who lacks belief in the existence of God or gods. " It simply is not accepting a claim without evidence (which should be the default position for everything, but religion thinks it deserves a special pass on this front).

Secondly, the world would be far better off with more atheists. Everything from war to crime (look at religious demographics of jails if you don't believe me) atheists are disproportionally lower in their level of involvement. Atheists tend to live life safer because they assume that this is their only life until proven otherwise. You will never see an atheist fly a plane into a building or strap on a suicide vest.

It's true that China is an atheist State, Russia however is not (far from it, some consider it a religious tyranny on par with Saudi Arabia, I personally would not go that far, but it's far from atheist). The ideal for a Nation is the model of the United States: Secular (only a secular society can protect the rights of both religious and non-religious equally). And, America was very wisely modelled to separate government and religion (unheard of for that time).

There are Christians who want to make America a Christian State (look up Christian Nationalism), actually quite a few.... There are no atheists that want to make America an atheist State.
December 26th, 2022 at 1:41:42 AM permalink
1nickelmiracle
I'm going to retract this atheism/agnostic/theist debate because it turns out there are more than one kind of each and there are almost as many types of these than pronouns and genders invented/discovered, so they really cannot be defined in simple terms.

Our modern definition of God as all powerful, all knowing, etc., itself is leading to there being no solution. I'm just offended by anyone who claims to know one way or the other. I'm afraid this is true, there is no answer possible. We have already discovered math problems math cannot solve and have already discovered the limits of the human brain and inconsistencies of the universe. I don't see how if the universe itself can be fully comprehended from any single point in time and space, a more complex problem can be understood let alone solved. In my opinion it is not allowed to be believed there is no God or believed there is a God if the question cannot be answered. Anything else is just really a factor of the limits of the human brain and language.

Sorry, but atheists are the end of civilization.