The Atheist Thread (Long Time Coming)

Page 3 of 17<123456>Last »
October 18th, 2019 at 2:07:11 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Evenbob
a·the·ism
/ˈāTHēˌizəm/
disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.

That's all it is. Does it mean
we discontinue being people
because we don't believe in
a god? Hardly.

People always want to diagnose atheists as having some sort of issues or other silly beliefs that is basically a religion....

Being an atheist simply means you do not accept there being a God. Techically there are some atheistic religions.

Atheism is just a defintion that means you do not actively beleive in a God, it is not a philosophy, there are atheists with all kinds of political and personal leanings.
October 18th, 2019 at 2:09:17 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Gandler
People always want to diagnose atheists as having some sort of issues or other silly beliefs that is basically a religion....

Being an atheist simply means you do not accept there being a God. Techically there are some atheistic religions.

Atheism is just a defintion that means you do not actively beleive in a God, it is not a philosophy, there are atheists with all kinds of political and personal leanings.

I'm an atheist simply because I was raised by a Geologist
I listened to my father explain the history of planet Earth from a Geological standpoint
Made a lot more sense then the 6 day story
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 19th, 2019 at 3:59:58 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: terapined
I listened to my father explain the history of planet Earth from a Geological standpoint

I can understand rejecting the simplistic Bible stories, and I too go as far as rejecting a God made to be human-like, I don't picture the architect of the Universe being human-like; does that make me an Atheist? According to some definitions, it would seem so.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
October 19th, 2019 at 5:08:30 AM permalink
Gandler
Quote: odiousgambit
I can understand rejecting the simplistic Bible stories, and I too go as far as rejecting a God made to be human-like, I don't picture the architect of the Universe being human-like; does that make me an Atheist? According to some definitions, it would seem so.

By simple defintion if you don't actively beleive in a God, you are an atheist.

I don't beleive in the term "agnostic" because being "unsure" is strange in this debate, if you are not actively believing in a God you are an atheist by most reasonable definitions.

If you beleive in a God, that has no direct power or influence (sounds like you may), that would generally be a Diest (general belief in some form God that plays no roles in affairs of a universe). This is more along the lines of Thomas Paine and Thomas Jefferson (which is why he edited all of the magical stuff out of the bible). General belief in a God, but not a belief that God has any effect on the universe and not following any religion essentially.
October 19th, 2019 at 7:41:39 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4

Tell that to Richard Dawkins.
October 19th, 2019 at 8:20:39 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: terapined
Sorry to hear you didn't have a dad. I didn't either. Basically had to wing it when it came to my first shave.
October 19th, 2019 at 9:47:32 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
By simple defintion if you don't actively beleive in a God, you are an atheist.

I don't beleive in the term "agnostic"
seems like you are unnecessarily demanding a binary choice here

Bob, is it a binary choice as far as you're concerned?

Quote:
... because being "unsure" is strange in this debate, if you are not actively believing in a God you are an atheist by most reasonable definitions.
I think you can believe in God and be unsure about the details, making that person an Agnostic, in other words I am not accepting your delineation

Quote:
If you beleive in a God, that has no direct power or influence (sounds like you may), that would generally be a Diest (general belief in some form God that plays no roles in affairs of a universe). This is more along the lines of Thomas Paine and Thomas Jefferson (which is why he edited all of the magical stuff out of the bible). General belief in a God, but not a belief that God has any effect on the universe and not following any religion essentially.
the way I've heard Deist explained does not rule out that person believing God can have an "effect on the universe" ; instead, been told that a Deist does not accept revelation, that is, doesn't accept claims that God has revealed himself to select people. I've said before this describes me fairly well

So, just looked it up again, and it says:
Quote: google search for deist
noun. belief in the existence of a God on the evidence of reason and nature only, with rejection of supernatural revelation (distinguished from theism). belief in a God who created the world but has since remained indifferent to it.

I'd also say remaining indifferent is not essential - there can be divine intervention that is not possible to prove scientifically
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
October 19th, 2019 at 10:35:02 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I think people are more comfortable with a creator universe because people relate to familiar examples of things being created, and having a apparent beginning and end. The idea of a infinite time or recurring universes are not relatable to anything they know. This doesn’t make any of these other ideas less possible Imo, but just explains why people are more comfortable with relatable ideas. When you posit a anthropomorphic god, you don’t have to focus too much on difficult ideas about his very existence if you don’t want to.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 19th, 2019 at 10:59:10 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
When you posit a anthropomorphic god, you don’t have to focus too much on difficult ideas about his very existence if you don’t want to.

And you can blame him for
anything and everything.
Very convenient. It's gods
will, thank god, it's in gods
hands, turn it over to god,
god willing, let god handle
it. Involves no thinking
whatsoever.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 19th, 2019 at 2:23:50 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: odiousgambit
seems like you are unnecessarily demanding a binary choice here

Bob, is it a binary choice as far as you're concerned?

I think you can believe in God and be unsure about the details, making that person an Agnostic, in other words I am not accepting your delineation

the way I've heard Deist explained does not rule out that person believing God can have an "effect on the universe" ; instead, been told that a Deist does not accept revelation, that is, doesn't accept claims that God has revealed himself to select people. I've said before this describes me fairly well

So, just looked it up again, and it says:

I'd also say remaining indifferent is not essential - there can be divine intervention that is not possible to prove scientifically

If you beleive in a God regardless of the details, you are by definition not an atheist (you are a theist).

You either actively beleive in a God or you do not, so I would argue it is a binary choice. You don't have to know all of the details of a God, you just beleive in one of you do not.

And, that is a pretty fair definition if deism.
Page 3 of 17<123456>Last »