Hospital fees rant

September 30th, 2019 at 8:31:59 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I recall the movie Brubaker wherein the prison was paying a small fortune in premiums but was not covered for anything they really needed.

Probably the same with health insurance: you have to go to an in network ER....its on page 420. footnote 32. Its not on a card at your phone or in your wallet.
September 30th, 2019 at 10:28:30 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: SOOPOO
Your problem is that YOU have shitty health insurance! Your company (assuming you get it through your employer) has chosen to get cut rate insurance. There are plans (like mine , through a county hospital, same as county teachers, road workers, etc..) that limit the out of pocket costs to a fraction of what you paid.

This reminds me of people who complain that they have no flood insurance, when the policy they buy specifically says floods are not covered.

Summary.... you spend thousands a year on health insurance, but are then surprised what is covered and what isn't. Whose fault is that?

I don't disagree with you that my insurance stinks. I still think the system stinks and I don't blame doctors or any individuals. Both my wife and I each have a $10,000 per year co-pay,
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 30th, 2019 at 11:25:05 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Wizard
The current system needs to be scrapped. I believe private health insurance has a fundamental conflict of interest between healing the sick and making a profit. That is why I favor Medicare for all.
But how do you know we wouldn't get "veterans administration health care for all" instead?
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
September 30th, 2019 at 11:52:13 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: odiousgambit
But how do you know we wouldn't get "veterans administration health care for all" instead?

Republicans have tried to talk Vets into privatizing the system for years. If they weren't happy enough in general despite the horror stories you hear, it would have already happened.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 30th, 2019 at 11:57:36 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: DRich
I don't disagree with you that my insurance stinks. I still think the system stinks and I don't blame doctors or any individuals. Both my wife and I each have a $10,000 per year co-pay,

Then I think it is disingenuous of you to complain about any bills you receive and have to pay until you reach that $20,000 threshold. You (or your company) have chosen to take a huge discount compared to what 'regular' co-pay insurance costs.

As far as those who want "VA for all", please be careful for what you ask for. Same for those who want Medicare for all. I assume people are aware that for a Medicare patient without a 'supplement' plan, Medicare only pays 80% of the fee and you are on the hook for the other 20%?

I don't think Bernie or Liz want "Medicare" for all; they really want "The government pays for everything" health insurance.
September 30th, 2019 at 12:26:18 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
if you have an absurd fee system you might as well have an absurd payment system; its certainly an absurd treatment system.
September 30th, 2019 at 12:48:24 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Then I think it is disingenuous of you to complain about any bills you receive and have to pay until you reach that $20,000 threshold. You (or your company) have chosen to take a huge discount compared to what 'regular' co-pay insurance costs.

Again, I don't disagree with you. My rant is the costs seem to be excessive. I think even you were shocked at my hospital estimate beiing over $200,000 for a one night stay and a common lumbar surgery.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 30th, 2019 at 12:58:13 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
You're just not wealthy enough.

(well, that's the answer basically given to people even farther down income scale when they don't like the cost)
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 30th, 2019 at 1:18:18 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I assume people are aware that for a Medicare patient without a 'supplement' plan, Medicare only pays 80% of the fee and you are on the hook for the other 20%?

I just received a big thick booklet from medicare, and it "refuses" to answer the question about when you might expect that 20% and when not. From what I can tell, Medicare part A, which is hospitalization coverage, sometimes pays for everything except some co-pays that are on a different schedule than a flat 20% and don't seem as bad at all; but the booklet hints that sometimes you pay 20%, not giving examples or anything else helpful towards indicating what you might expect.

Medicare part B covers the more mundane stuff like doctor's office visits. The indication is to expect to pay the 20% frequently on that, but no examples again. Yet the only time I have used Medicare, for the "welcome to medicare" checkup, I paid almost nothing, $15 or so for some oddball thing that was done, some shot or something that was optional.

If you google the topic it's dominated by the insurance companies; they IMO intentionally attempt to convince you instantly that it is hopeless to understand anything or do anything else other than pick the one you click on for supplemental coverage and trust them completely.

We have learned that the frequent statement "covers what Medicare doesn't" for supplemental is basically a lie; the whole truth is that the insurance will probably cover the 20% when medicare pays the 80%. But if Medicare doesn't cover it, the supplemental insurance doesn't cover it and you pay the full amount. God knows what else they are lying about, but you can be sure those lies kick in when the bill gets high enough.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
September 30th, 2019 at 8:49:44 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: odiousgambit

That's a good point. I don't claim to be an expert on health care. A good place to start would be to look at what has and hasn't worked in other countries. Almost anything would be better than the three-ring circus we have now.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber