Hospital fees rant

Page 12 of 12« First<9101112
October 7th, 2019 at 6:49:13 AM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
Quote: Fleastiff
II just had a high brain pressure, low protein, low electrolytes crisis that obviously destroyed brain cells and impaired my faculties, yet they Rx'd a statin that crosses the blood brain barrier. It does not enhance quality of life nor improve longevity, it only makes me die with better cholesterol numbers in my file
I'm sorry that you're having such a hard time.
I'm also sorry that the comment about dying with lower cholesterol made me chuckle. :)
October 7th, 2019 at 7:11:42 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: OnceDear
I'm sorry that you're having such a hard time.
I'm also sorry that the comment about dying with lower cholesterol made me chuckle. :)

A "healthy" family member of mine just dropped dead last week of a heart attack at age 46. Live for today because the future is not guaranteed.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
October 7th, 2019 at 8:15:14 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: DRich
A "healthy" family member of mine just dropped dead last week of a heart attack at age 46. Live for today because the future is not guaranteed.
In our circle a "healthy" guy got diagnosed with lung cancer and died within 4 wks of diagnosis. Here today and gone tomorrow, who's next?
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
October 7th, 2019 at 8:57:50 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: OnceDear
the comment about dying with lower cholesterol made me chuckle. :)
Yeah, docs are so opposed to cholesterol in the arteries. They don't realize its an internal bandage for an artery that has been weakened by trauma or infection. A sort of self sealing fuel line common in fighter planes and race cars. So why lower it? Its the source of testosterone a vital metabolic hormone for cellular functioning.
October 11th, 2019 at 7:29:39 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I spent another 6 hours in the Emergency Room last night with the wife. Apparently she has already met her deductibles because this time our part of the bill was only $1000. It is weird to say, but I am happy to only owe $1000 to the hospital. I understand there will be other charges from the doctor's, but I am still relieved.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
October 11th, 2019 at 8:39:56 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: Fleastiff
So why lower it? Its the source of testosterone a vital metabolic hormone for cellular functioning.

Statins lower cholesterol to a safe level. They don't eliminate it.

Everyone in my wife’s family is on statins. Every one of the older generation has made it into their mid-nineties.

Why take chances? If a statin can lower cholesterol levels, it might slow the development of arterial plaque that will block arteries, or rupture and cause heart attack or stroke.
October 11th, 2019 at 8:57:00 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Tanko
Statins lower cholesterol to a safe level. They don't eliminate it.

Everyone in my wife’s family is on statins. Every one of the older generation has made it into their mid-nineties.

Why take chances? If a statin can lower cholesterol levels, it might slow the development of arterial plaque that will block arteries, or rupture and cause heart attack or stroke.

Or alternately it might just be making the drug companies rich.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
October 12th, 2019 at 2:33:11 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: kenarman
Or alternately it might just be making the drug companies rich.

Good. They’ll develop more medications and save more lives.

Some people use that ‘big pharma’ myth, to avoid regular check-ups, and fail to get needed medications and treatments.

My friend fell it.

Ten years ago, he subscribed to a natural health newsletter, stopped his regular check-ups, and began giga-dosing supplements.

When his BP reached 214/110, he tried unsuccessfully to lower it ‘naturally’ and never saw an MD.

Three years ago, he began having trouble swallowing.

Six months ago, he finally went to an MD who got his BP down to 120/70 with Losartan.

He was also tested for the swallow issue. Esophageal ca.

He lasted four months, and suffered horribly to the end.

He had medical and pharmaceutical coverage, but he didn’t use it until it was too late.

His distrust in MD’s and ‘big pharma’ may have cost him his life.
October 16th, 2019 at 7:52:48 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Don't get bit by anything where you need anti-venom.

Quote:
a typical antivenom vial costs $1,500 to $2,200, but a snakebite requires between 20 and 25 vials to be neutralized.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 17th, 2019 at 3:01:17 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: rxwine
Don't get bit by anything where you need anti-venom.
You wouldn't want to pay for rabies shots either, the cost is similar I think.

Not only is this type of thing expensive to produce and keep handy, you have to throw it out after a while too, is what I've heard.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
Page 12 of 12« First<9101112