Hospital fees rant

Page 4 of 12<1234567>Last »
September 29th, 2019 at 3:08:39 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: DRich
I don't know anyone that doesn't contribute to society in some way. Even if it is only through taxes (income, sales, gas, etc).

But they often vote against it, given the opportunity.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 29th, 2019 at 3:33:59 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: rxwine
But they often vote against it, given the opportunity.

Absolutely, but they are still contributing.

I wish I could legally contribute less while maintaining my lifestyle.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 29th, 2019 at 3:48:20 PM permalink
rxwine
Absolutely, but they are still contributing.

I wish I could legally contribute less while maintaining my lifestyle.

But your money is going to even lesser things than saving lives and you don't necessarily directly benefit from it. You must really object to that.

I see it all as necessary and if you live in society, you're obligated, IMO.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 29th, 2019 at 6:47:29 PM permalink
rxwine
This just came up in my news feed.

Quote:
Three years ago, California passed one of the strongest laws in the country to outlaw surprise medical billing. That legislation made sure that when patients went to a hospital covered by their insurance, doctors couldn’t later ambush them with unexpected bills.

Quote:
California’s surprise billing law limited the payments for out-of-network doctors to a formula based on what other doctors were being paid. Bipartisan bills passed by committees in both the U.S. House and Senate this summer use a roughly similar approach, often described as benchmarking.

The legislation, which has yet to advance to the floor of either the House or the Senate, has enemies. One dramatic television advertisement, run by a dark money group called Doctor Patient Unity, shows an ambulance pull up to an abandoned emergency room, warning that benchmarking could mean closed hospitals. The group, which is funded by two large private equity-backed physician staffing firms, has spent more than $28 million to oppose the bills.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/healthcare/in-california-a-surprise-billing-law-is-protecting-patients-and-angering-doctors/ar-AAHSopj?ocid=spartanntp
September 30th, 2019 at 4:39:41 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
there's a lot of criticism I'm seeing here about greedy doctors ... now, I have no need to carry any water for MDs and have my issues with them sometimes too

however, the greedy folks in the medical field are 90%+ the hospitals and the insurance companies, who seem to have deflected public anger onto the docs
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
September 30th, 2019 at 5:26:19 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: odiousgambit
, the greedy folks are the hospitals and the insurance companies, who have deflected public anger onto the docs
That is because the insurance companies, once having captured control over patient flow, have captured the doctors too.
September 30th, 2019 at 6:15:45 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Thanks for sharing the story. My older daughter had a similar story over an emergency room visit that lasted about six hours. Our insurance company said we went to an out-of-network hospital and that it wasn't an approved emergency so we got stuck with a bill for several thousand.

The current system needs to be scrapped. I believe private health insurance has a fundamental conflict of interest between healing the sick and making a profit. That is why I favor Medicare for all.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
September 30th, 2019 at 6:26:08 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Wizard
Thanks for sharing the story. My older daughter had a similar story over an emergency room visit that lasted about six hours. Our insurance company said we went to an out-of-network hospital and that it wasn't an approved emergency so we got stuck with a bill for several thousand.

The current system needs to be scrapped. I believe private health insurance has a fundamental conflict of interest between healing the sick and making a profit. That is why I favor Medicare for all.

I agree. The whole insurance system sucks. I have had some health issues lately and have spent thousands. These days, having health insurance , you will spend thousands regardless. Seems health insurance these days is just to help with bills so you don't go into bankruptcy
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 30th, 2019 at 7:23:07 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: terapined
I agree. The whole insurance system sucks. I have had some health issues lately and have spent thousands. These days, having health insurance , you will spend thousands regardless. Seems health insurance these days is just to help with bills so you don't go into bankruptcy

Imagine how I feel. I have had two surgeries in the last year and my wife has been to the Emergency room twice this year. My expenses after insurance are over $25,000.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 30th, 2019 at 8:06:29 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Imagine how I feel. I have had two surgeries in the last year and my wife has been to the Emergency room twice this year. My expenses after insurance are over $25,000.

Your problem is that YOU have shitty health insurance! Your company (assuming you get it through your employer) has chosen to get cut rate insurance. There are plans (like mine , through a county hospital, same as county teachers, road workers, etc..) that limit the out of pocket costs to a fraction of what you paid.

This reminds me of people who complain that they have no flood insurance, when the policy they buy specifically says floods are not covered.

Summary.... you spend thousands a year on health insurance, but are then surprised what is covered and what isn't. Whose fault is that?
Page 4 of 12<1234567>Last »