Democratic debates

November 11th, 2019 at 10:40:49 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Gandler
So he is clearly voting Dem and made an offhand joke that was taken out of context?

And, now conservatives are embracing him and extreme leftists are bashing him?

Sounds about right.

It was no offhand joke. But I do think the right is reading a bit much into what he said. It is relevant that a billionaire that is doing EVERYTHING HE CAN to shield his money from the government by hiding it in a charitable trust so it is NOT subject to inheritance taxes is weighing in on taxing the mega rich. How pathetic.
November 11th, 2019 at 10:47:23 AM permalink
Tripdufan
Threads: 0
Quote: SOOPOO
It was no offhand joke.

Body language, context, and the fact hat he said "I'm just kidding", kinda leads you to believe that it was a joke.

The number one thing he said that should be taken away from the convo, at least in my opinion, is tax capital the same way we tax labor.
November 11th, 2019 at 3:53:28 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
It was no offhand joke. But I do think the right is reading a bit much into what he said. It is relevant that a billionaire that is doing EVERYTHING HE CAN to shield his money from the government by hiding it in a charitable trust so it is NOT subject to inheritance taxes is weighing in on taxing the mega rich. How pathetic.

What on earth is wrong with minimizing taxes? Why get on a guy for shielding money that tax has already been paid on from more tax?
The President is a fink.
November 11th, 2019 at 4:56:09 PM permalink
Shrek
Threads: 6
Quote: AZDuffman
What on earth is wrong with minimizing taxes? Why get on a guy for shielding money that tax has already been paid on from more tax?

I think he's pointing out libbie Bill Gates' hypocrisy.
November 11th, 2019 at 8:19:54 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Remember when Beeto entered the race,
the media was breathless with awe and
good cheer? When he dropped out last
week it was hardly covered. Nobody
cared. Never seen anybody self destruct
in the buffoonish way Beeto did. Was
it the public teeth cleaning, or his promise
to confiscate every gun in the country.
He disappeared from view long before
he dropped out. My fave appearance
was him on The View, where he apologized
over and over for being a dick. It was
impossible to watch, those women destroyed
him.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 12th, 2019 at 5:52:52 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Evenbob
Remember when Beeto entered the race,
the media was breathless with awe and
good cheer?

Actually, I do remember this.

It is a good example of why long primaries are a good thing.

Beto started out hot and fizzled fast.

When Elizabeth Warren started her campaign last year, it didn't start out so well with that awkward apology for the Native American stuff. But since then she's run an excellent campaign and is now the co-frontrunner with Joe Biden.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
November 12th, 2019 at 6:22:05 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
I think that most Democrats want the nominee to be the one with the best chance of beating Trump, even if that nominee has many policies that would make the voter prefer a different nominee. Meaning if Biden has a 60% chance to beat Trump, and Warren a 30% chance, then the party will coalesce around Biden even if it favors Warren's policies. This can only be hypothetical, of course, because there is no way to get an accurate percentage on electability.

I want Biden (unless you include Klobuchar or Clinton). I care more about their policies than actual electability. I care about the "what happens if they win", and think the country is ok with any of those three.

So, you guys who despise Trump, (ams, Ed, Rx, etc..) who do you hope gets the nomination? Do you factor in 'electability' more than 'policy'?
November 12th, 2019 at 6:37:02 AM permalink
ams288
I think that most Democrats want the nominee to be the one with the best chance of beating Trump, even if that nominee has many policies that would make the voter prefer a different nominee. Meaning if Biden has a 60% chance to beat Trump, and Warren a 30% chance, then the party will coalesce around Biden even if it favors Warren's policies. This can only be hypothetical, of course, because there is no way to get an accurate percentage on electability.

I want Biden (unless you include Klobuchar or Clinton). I care more about their policies than actual electability. I care about the "what happens if they win", and think the country is ok with any of those three.

So, you guys who despise Trump, (ams, Ed, Rx, etc..) who do you hope gets the nomination? Do you factor in 'electability' more than 'policy'?

Electability is important, but I don’t buy the argument that Biden is twice as electable as Warren.
November 12th, 2019 at 6:57:08 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: ams288
Electability is important, but I don’t buy the argument that Biden is twice as electable as Warren.

Warren is one of the few who could lose.

A Warren nomination, will mean four more years of Trump.

Based purely on electability in the general, Warren is one of the worse...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/10/17/opinion/trump-warren-2020.amp.html
November 12th, 2019 at 7:00:56 AM permalink
ams288
Quote: Gandler
Based purely on electability in the general, Warren is one of the worse...

I disagree, and have seen no polling data to back up your theory.