I need you to come into work this weekend

March 14th, 2019 at 9:39:39 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
2 weeks lol. When's the last time any of y'all received 2wks?

2 fingers and bounce.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 14th, 2019 at 9:52:30 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Face
2 weeks lol. When's the last time any of y'all received 2wks?

2 fingers and bounce.

I don't remember the last time one of my employees didn't give at least two weeks. Depending on their position we may send them home immediately, but we still pay them for the two weeks since they offered it.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
March 14th, 2019 at 9:54:49 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: DRich
I don't remember the last time one of my employees didn't give at least two weeks. Depending on their position we may send them home immediately, but we still pay them for the two weeks since they offered it.

That's how my company handles the situation
Now early in my life working dead end jobs such as a liquor store clerk, yea, 2 fingers and a bounce
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 14th, 2019 at 10:09:17 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: terapined
Sure, put in your 2 weeks and do what needs to be done
My company immediately dismisses anybody that gives 2 weeks notice.
They are afraid employee leaving will bring down morale so they ask the employee to leave immediately and give 2 weeks pay to do nothing.
On the flip side, I gave 2 weeks once and management freaked and pulled me into the office to give me a raise to stay. I stayed

Unless they are willing to give me a $50k/year raise - the is snot worth it
March 14th, 2019 at 10:09:51 AM permalink
aceofspades
I do have 5 vacation days coming to me -- maybe I should take 5 days off first
March 14th, 2019 at 10:16:20 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: aceofspades

That's a duh, and just don't go
back. I get a headache just
reading about your work environment.

Isn't the boss 85 or something? He's
terrified of losing the business the
Jewish guy is bringing in, so he kisses
his ass at your expense.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 14th, 2019 at 10:39:16 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: aceofspades

Absolutely
Vacation pay is usually use it or lose it
That's what keeps me in the company, 5 paid weeks vacation
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 14th, 2019 at 11:08:41 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Careful with the vacation thing. A lot of companies have you earn vacation time on a pro-rated basis. So, while your whole X days of vacation may be available to be used on January 1, the actual earned time gradually accumulates throughout the year. So, if you leave the company, you will owe them $ for any un-earned time, if you have taken more vacation than you earned up until that point.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
March 14th, 2019 at 11:14:20 AM permalink
aceofspades
Quote: Dalex64
Careful with the vacation thing. A lot of companies have you earn vacation time on a pro-rated basis. So, while your whole X days of vacation may be available to be used on January 1, the actual earned time gradually accumulates throughout the year. So, if you leave the company, you will owe them $ for any un-earned time, if you have taken more vacation than you earned up until that point.

Yeah that's not how it works here - I have 5 actual days available to me - although not sure taking 5 days off and then giving two week's notice would be the proper thing to do
March 14th, 2019 at 11:18:27 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: DRich
I don't remember the last time one of my employees didn't give at least two weeks.

Talking employERS. Do they give notice, let you get affairs in order, all the things they expect of you to ease THEIR transition?

Some shops are good. Maybe yours is one. I too gave a notice when the shop wasn't garbage. Most of my others were. Ace's certainly seems so. Give what you get.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.