I need you to come into work this weekend

Page 1 of 761234>Last »
March 8th, 2019 at 7:07:50 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Just got an email from the boss's protege, who is notorious for putting things off and then scrambling at the deadline, telling me he will need me to come in on Saturday and Sunday to assist him in drafting two briefs that, naturally, are due Monday -- and by "assist him" I mean I will be drafting the briefs and he will be on the phone schmoozing

What would you do? Comments? Stories of your own experiences with something like this?
March 8th, 2019 at 7:10:18 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: aceofspades
Just got an email from the boss's protege, who is notorious for putting things off and then scrambling at the deadline, telling me he will need me to come in on Saturday and Sunday to assist him in drafting two briefs that, naturally, are due Monday -- and by "assist him" I mean I will be drafting the briefs and he will be on the phone schmoozing

What would you do? Comments? Stories of your own experiences with something like this?

Ever see the movie Office Space?
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
March 8th, 2019 at 7:22:02 AM permalink
aceofspades
Quote: JimRockford
Ever see the movie Office Space?

Yes! Lundberg
March 8th, 2019 at 7:22:20 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
You need me to remind me that you are out of town this weekend?
The President is a fink.
March 8th, 2019 at 7:30:51 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I would go to the boss and say this is BS
I would not put up with it
I would go to work for somebody else if the boss does not take action on this
I work hard and I work smart. I am the type of employee all employers want to keep
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 8th, 2019 at 7:37:36 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51

That stinks. Now you are going to have to cancel all of the dates you had scheduled this weekend.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
March 8th, 2019 at 10:06:33 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

If you work there, and this is part
of your job, I don't understand the
question. Why wouldn't you do it.

If you're saying this isn't part of your
understanding of what your work
covers, I'd look for another job. On
TV lawyer shows you see this all
the time, working weekends. Is
that not part of being a lawyer in
a law firm?
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 8th, 2019 at 10:13:21 AM permalink
aceofspades
Quote: Evenbob
If you work there, and this is part
of your job, I don't understand the
question. Why wouldn't you do it.

If you're saying this isn't part of your
understanding of what your work
covers, I'd look for another job. On
TV lawyer shows you see this all
the time, working weekends. Is
that not part of being a lawyer in
a law firm?

Well, considering I started outlining this brief in October and then this is the first the protege is telling me about it since then - I think it is bulls***
March 8th, 2019 at 11:41:55 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25

We called this "management by crisis".

"Lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on mine"
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
March 8th, 2019 at 11:51:57 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22

How are you compensated? By the case? Billable hours? Straight weekly salary?
How often do you work weekends? Never? Once a year? Often?
If you do work weekends do you rotate them with other colleagues?

Many questions to be answered before anyone can give you a thoughtful answer....
Page 1 of 761234>Last »