I need you to come into work this weekend

Page 2 of 76<12345>Last »
March 8th, 2019 at 12:02:48 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: aceofspades
Well, considering I started outlining this brief in October and then this is the first the protege is telling me about it since then - I think it is bulls***

I read that rather than a job being bad, many people leave jobs because of bad management. Which is sad. But it is definitely more problematic dealing with someone up the line.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 8th, 2019 at 12:40:15 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: SOOPOO
How are you compensated? By the case? Billable hours? Straight weekly salary?
How often do you work weekends? Never? Once a year? Often?
If you do work weekends do you rotate them with other colleagues?

Many questions to be answered before anyone can give you a thoughtful answer....

Straight salary
I have worked from home a few weekends in the 6 months I have been working here
The thing is - this would not have been an emergency but for the procrastination of the protege -- this work was originally due in November and I began an outline in October and was told to stop and would be told when I should start up again -- the protege took the file and about 11am today I was told the brief was due on Monday
March 8th, 2019 at 3:37:07 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Straight salary

If that is the case then what did you agree to that justifies your salary? I am essentially now paid a straight salary. We take turns doing equal amounts of nights, weekends, etc... If there is a one time f... up requiring me to do an extra weekend, I'll do it. If it is something that I perceive will be a recurring problem, I do it this first time while alerting my boss I wont do it again, barring additional compensation or days off or something tangible to me.
March 11th, 2019 at 3:05:37 PM permalink
aceofspades
OMG just had a surprise huge meeting in the office - I am not happy at all — don’t know what to do

Owner of firm informed me that the asshole protege and him are rearranging the office structure — rather than working directly with the Owner (a curmudgeonly octogenarian), I will now be working exclusively with the golden child and reporting to him - which means if he is working weekends, I am going to have to work weekends and, considering he lives 10 blocks from the office, he always works weekends (lucky him he married a girl whose parents bought the newlyweds a Manhattan apartment as their wedding present a couple of months ago) — I really have to figure out what to do

The weird thing is the protege had first choice of which attorney he wanted working for him and he chose me (perhaps he enjoys schadenfreude)

Protege just told me the motion I drafted today was inadequate and to redo and since he is working late tonight that I will be with him as long as he is here — I foresee me putting in my 2 weeks notice

Yeah I cannot report to this guy — reporting to the Owner (even when he was rude) was fine because he is who he is and is 85 years old - reporting to this turd is a non-starter
March 11th, 2019 at 3:27:28 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
OMG just had a surprise huge meeting in the office - I am not happy at all — don’t know what to do

Owner of firm informed me that the asshole protege and him are rearranging the office structure — rather than working directly with the Owner (a curmudgeonly octogenarian), I will now be working exclusively with the golden child and reporting to him - which means if he is working weekends, I am going to have to work weekends and, considering he lives 10 blocks from the office, he always works weekends (lucky him he married a girl whose parents bought the newlyweds a Manhattan apartment as their wedding present a couple of months ago) — I really have to figure out what to do

The weird thing is the protege had first choice of which attorney he wanted working for him and he chose me (perhaps he enjoys schadenfreude)

Protege just told me the motion I drafted today was inadequate and to redo and since he is working late tonight that I will be with him as long as he is here — I foresee me putting in my 2 weeks notice

Yeah I cannot report to this guy — reporting to the Owner (even when he was rude) was fine because he is who he is and is 85 years old - reporting to this turd is a non-starter

I would for sure say get your resume in order. Not sure what kind of law you are practicing, and I know law is a tough racket. Not sure how you are set financially, but consider taking FMLA if you are eligible to send a message?
The President is a fink.
March 11th, 2019 at 3:29:33 PM permalink
aceofspades
Quote: AZDuffman
I would for sure say get your resume in order. Not sure what kind of law you are practicing, and I know law is a tough racket. Not sure how you are set financially, but consider taking FMLA if you are eligible to send a message?

FMLA does not apply to employers of less than 50 people

I am not set at all financially - live check to check
March 11th, 2019 at 3:30:26 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51

Why not just go to the owner and explain that you are not comfortable working for the protege and would he reconsider? Tell him if he won't reconsider you offering your two weeks notice that day.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
March 11th, 2019 at 3:35:23 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
FMLA does not apply to employers of less than 50 people

Why I asked, didn't know the size.

What kind of law? Can you get picked up easily?
The President is a fink.
March 11th, 2019 at 3:48:27 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

So don't quit before you have another
job. Then give 2 weeks notice.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 11th, 2019 at 4:01:31 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Only but one thing to do Ace, grudge**ck his old lady.

That or you know he's got a mountain of insecurity to work off, and the wife expects to be the boss after her daddy buying the apartment. I'd rather live in my car than have to kiss the fil's ass every time we got together.

There's plenty to work with here Ace, just have to enjoy planting the seeds of his destruction. Maybe jokingly let his new wife know the reason he picked you is the protege knew you would keep quiet about all the women you guys been sharing at the office on weekends?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
Page 2 of 76<12345>Last »