Law subservient to religion

Page 1 of 51234>Last »
January 31st, 2019 at 12:47:06 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
So long as there is a religious ceremony going on, the police cannot arrest these illegal immigrants -- got to love how worshipping an invisible being plays into a country's laws

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/10/world/europe/migrants-dutch-church-service.html?module=inline

January 31st, 2019 at 1:05:32 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: aceofspades
So long as there is a religious ceremony going on, the police cannot arrest these illegal immigrants -- got to love how worshipping an invisible being plays into a country's laws

Change the laws
I have no qualm with taking away church exemptions to the law
Lets take it a step further
Churches should be paying property taxes.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 31st, 2019 at 1:13:35 PM permalink
aceofspades
Quote: terapined
Change the laws
I have no qualm with taking away church exemptions to the law
Lets take it a step further
Churches should be paying property taxes.

They should be paying taxes like any other business (insert joke here about all businesses avoiding taxes)

I am sure the property taxes on St. Patrick's cathedral here in midtown Manhattan would be quite a pretty penny
https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/2016/10/26/new-york-religious-property-tax-breaks/92726198/

Meanwhile, https://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20180228/REAL_ESTATE/180229878/st-patrick-s-cathedral-to-net-7-2-million-from-air-rights-sale
January 31st, 2019 at 1:45:45 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
I feel sad when American citizens promote legislation that gives the state the unchecked ability to infringe on religious expression. This country was founded by families fleeing the exact same tyranny. How quickly we forget how precious our freedoms are.

While we may not like or appreciate the genuine religious expressions of others (nor feel that a church owning valuable property without paying taxes is appropriate), it is still a freedom all of us must work to protect.
January 31st, 2019 at 1:56:02 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: Ayecarumba
I feel sad when American citizens promote legislation that gives the state the unchecked ability to infringe on religious expression. This country was founded by families fleeing the exact same tyranny. How quickly we forget how precious our freedoms are.

While we may not like or appreciate the genuine religious expressions of others (nor feel that a church owning valuable property without paying taxes is appropriate), it is still a freedom all of us must work to protect.

Ever been to Clearwater?
The town sucks because of a scam business that cloaks itself as a religion
scientology - they practice tyranny
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 31st, 2019 at 1:57:54 PM permalink
aceofspades

So you must support a "sanctuary" law - murder someone then run into a church/temple/mosque and claim "sanctuary"
January 31st, 2019 at 3:17:49 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: aceofspades
So you must support a "sanctuary" law - murder someone then run into a church/temple/mosque and claim "sanctuary"

How do you get that from what I wrote? The family in the article you posted... did they murder anyone?
Is there any legitimate church here that would shelter a murderer from justice? Maybe, if they believed that the death penalty was a violation of their beliefs, but I suspect they would still turn the murderer over to the authorities if the death penalty was taken off the table.

I haven't been to Clearwater. But there are other towns that have been taken over by religious cults. It is a difficult topic to navigate, trying to balance religious freedom with cults jerking the system. Take Utah for example. Should Colorado be allowed to absorb the state and change all the laws because Mormons don't smoke pot like them?

It is work that we all must do together for the greater good, not just sit idly by, or cave-in to a strong personality because it is easier to keep silent. If we don't speak up for the marginalized, who will be left to speak up for us?
January 31st, 2019 at 3:43:20 PM permalink
aceofspades
How do you get that from what I wrote? The family in the article you posted... did they murder anyone?
Is there any legitimate church here that would shelter a murderer from justice? Maybe, if they believed that the death penalty was a violation of their beliefs, but I suspect they would still turn the murderer over to the authorities if the death penalty was taken off the table.

I haven't been to Clearwater. But there are other towns that have been taken over by religious cults. It is a difficult topic to navigate, trying to balance religious freedom with cults jerking the system. Take Utah for example. Should Colorado be allowed to absorb the state and change all the laws because Mormons don't smoke pot like them?

It is work that we all must do together for the greater good, not just sit idly by, or cave-in to a strong personality because it is easier to keep silent. If we don't speak up for the marginalized, who will be left to speak up for us?

I am perfectly fine marginalizing anyone who believes in a god
January 31st, 2019 at 4:32:27 PM permalink
terapined

I certainly support religious freedom
I just don't support any exemptions to any laws
To me, they are a social group that gets together on Sundays.
I am totally ok with that
I used to belong to an Atheist group that met on the weekends.
We would typically bring in a speaker to educate us on different interesting subjects
All social groups, regardless of the subject, should have equal rights under the law regardless if the social group is religious or simply a hobby group
No one group should get tax breaks or special exemptions under the law. All should be taxed equally.
January 31st, 2019 at 5:44:59 PM permalink
aceofspades
Quote: terapined
I certainly support religious freedom
I just don't support any exemptions to any laws
To me, they are a social group that gets together on Sundays.
I am totally ok with that
I used to belong to an Atheist group that met on the weekends.
We would typically bring in a speaker to educate us on different interesting subjects
All social groups, regardless of the subject, should have equal rights under the law regardless if the social group is religious or simply a hobby group
No one group should get tax breaks or special exemptions under the law. All should be taxed equally.

Amen
Page 1 of 51234>Last »