Mary Poppins Returns opens today

Page 4 of 4<1234
December 20th, 2018 at 6:38:09 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Emily Blunt was so hot in Edge of Tomorrow, and
she looks so unhot in Poppins.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 20th, 2018 at 6:59:32 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: KNathan
Mary Poppins Returns is a Really Mirthless Remake," was the Headline IIRC.

Well, whoever wrote that headline would be foolish as this isn’t a remake, it’s a sequel.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
December 20th, 2018 at 8:09:51 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Ayecarumba
I'm genuinely surprised that there are people who haven't seen the original. It is such a well known piece of western culture, and it has been easily accessible for decades.

My son has barely heard of the original. I think the only show/movie we both like is Breaking Bad.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
December 21st, 2018 at 2:49:00 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard
I want to see Mary Poppins Returns, but my kids have never seen the original so have no interest at all. I probably will end up going by myself and everybody else in the theater will feel sorry for me.

Just go on a weekday in January. Will be less than 10 people in the theater with you. But ditto the thought they will all be gay males.

Add me to the never saw the original. Plan to die saying that.
The President is a fink.
December 21st, 2018 at 4:25:10 AM permalink
KNathan
Threads: 37
Quote: ams288
Well, whoever wrote that headline would be foolish as this isn’t a remake, it’s a sequel.

LMAO! :D I was reciting from memory when I wrote that. Maybe they did say Sequel, who knows? ;) Still bad that a flop ended up as a Newspaper Headline...
December 21st, 2018 at 6:15:54 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Perhaps a director permitting a woman to jump in high heels is a trivial incident but that attitude may have permeated the entire project.

success in movies is rather fickle these days anyway.

Sullivan' Travels was released with, ithink, threedifferent endings, and I've always wondered which one was the most profitable. what do audiences really want?
December 21st, 2018 at 8:55:27 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Fleastiff
... what do audiences really want?

A) Catchy music; Dancing; Romance; Heartwarming conclusion, usually after the death of a parent or parents
or
B) Catchy music; Action; Sexiness; Heroic conclusion, usually saving innocent lives.
December 21st, 2018 at 5:57:42 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
I want to see Mary Poppins Returns, but my kids have never seen the original so have no interest at all. I probably will end up going by myself and everybody else in the theater will feel sorry for me.

The movie is averaging roughly 100 people for all the showings for all screens in a theater in a single day. That's for a weekend, so it should be much less on weekday.

Edge of Tomorrow pulled in an average of 400 people for all the showings in a theater in a single day on opening weekend.
December 22nd, 2018 at 7:40:03 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: Evenbob
I think I just threw up a little in my mouth..

I cannot stand Lin Manuel Miranda - so, based on that, will not see this (plus, the original is an all-time classic so I am not sure it needed to be rebooted (yes, yes I know it is supposed to be Michael Banks all grown up and not, technically, a "reboot")
December 22nd, 2018 at 10:05:09 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: aceofspades
I cannot stand Lin Manuel Miranda - so, based on that, will not see this (plus, the original is an all-time classic so I am not sure it needed to be rebooted (yes, yes I know it is supposed to be Michael Banks all grown up and not, technically, a "reboot")

Finally looked at the trailer for this. Poppins
seems to be a real bitch in this one, instead
of just scary and obnoxious.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 4 of 4<1234