2019 Deadpool

February 21st, 2019 at 3:00:05 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 89
Posts: 1744
Quote: Wizard
Let's see, the war ended in 1945. I'm too lazy to look up how many men served, so will go with a guestimate of 100,000. About 0.67% will reach 100, which will be in 2025, assuming the solider was 20 in 1945. That gets us down to 670. Actuarial tables get kind of fuzzy after 100, but the chances of dying in any year after that is about 1/3. So, here is how many will be left in each year:

2026: 223
2027: 74
2028: 25
2029: 8
2030: 3
2031: 1

Granted some of them were older than 20 or were done by 1945.

To go with a round number, I'm going to say the last WWII vet will die in 2030, when I will turn 65.

My guess would be 2040. Medical advaces are keeping men alive longer, and I recall hearing stories about the last CIVIL WAR vet passing away well into triple digits. With so many people to start with, there is a good chance one of them will be an outlier. Also, there are women in the WWII vet pool...
February 21st, 2019 at 4:25:28 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Member since: Oct 23, 2012
Threads: 226
Posts: 5676
Quote: Ayecarumba
My guess would be 2040. Medical advaces are keeping men alive longer, and I recall hearing stories about the last CIVIL WAR vet passing away well into triple digits. With so many people to start with, there is a good chance one of them will be an outlier. Also, there are women in the WWII vet pool...


I'll bet you a nice dinner the last death is before 1/1/2035.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
February 21st, 2019 at 6:37:07 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 89
Posts: 1744
Quote: Wizard
I'll bet you a nice dinner the last death is before 1/1/2035.

You have a wager sir. I hope that both of us will be around to enjoy it. Hehe...
February 21st, 2019 at 7:25:11 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Member since: Oct 23, 2012
Threads: 226
Posts: 5676
Quote: Ayecarumba
You have a wager sir. I hope that both of us will be around to enjoy it. Hehe...


It's booked!
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
February 21st, 2019 at 8:55:16 PM permalink
Evenbob
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 136
Posts: 20877
Quote: Wizard
It's booked!


Say you were 16 when the war ended.
There were lots who had fake ID's
and joined at 15. You would 106 in
2035. With the constant breakthroughs
in medicine, totally feasible more than
one will be alive in 2035.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 22nd, 2019 at 5:33:31 AM permalink
ddloml
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 1
Posts: 19
Quote: Wizard
Let's see, the war ended in 1945. I'm too lazy to look up how many men served, so will go with a guestimate of 100,000. About 0.67% will reach 100, which will be in 2025, assuming the solider was 20 in 1945. That gets us down to 670. Actuarial tables get kind of fuzzy after 100, but the chances of dying in any year after that is about 1/3. So, here is how many will be left in each year:

2026: 223
2027: 74
2028: 25
2029: 8
2030: 3
2031: 1

Granted some of them were older than 20 or were done by 1945.

To go with a round number, I'm going to say the last WWII vet will die in 2030, when I will turn 65.


Several years ago, I visited Gettysburg, and there is a monument in the cemetery to the last survivor of the battle, which was in July, 1863. I think the last survivor died in 1955, 92 years after the battle. The last WW1 vet was a nurse who died in 2012, 94 years after the war had ended. My guess would be that the last WW2 veteran will pass away about 93 years after 1945, say in 2038.
March 1st, 2019 at 3:23:36 AM permalink
rxwine
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 141
Posts: 9401
Fleaswatter got another

Billy Wayne Coble.

Asked to make a final statement, Coble replied: "That'll be $5."
GOP terrified Trump can't beat old sleepy senile candidate
March 1st, 2019 at 9:56:28 AM permalink
Evenbob
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 136
Posts: 20877
Quote: rxwine
Fleaswatter got another

Billy Wayne Coble.


If you offered $1mil, I couldn't guess
who that is.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 1st, 2019 at 10:03:45 AM permalink
fleaswatter
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 1
Posts: 542
Quote: rxwine
Fleaswatter got another

Billy Wayne Coble.

Asked to make a final statement, Coble replied: "That'll be $5."

Associated Press newsfeed

Chaos erupts, 2 arrested during Texas execution

https://www.apnews.com/088da4f91cbc44be8cda6912c8a3a0d8
sleepy Joe has dementia
March 1st, 2019 at 10:05:46 AM permalink
fleaswatter
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 1
Posts: 542
Quote: Evenbob
If you offered $1mil, I couldn't guess
who that is.

For the 2019 deathpool, I selected people who were scheduled for execution in 2019.
sleepy Joe has dementia