8 votes (36.36%)
2 votes (9.09%)
3 votes (13.63%)

22 members have voted

April 23rd, 2020 at 6:24:42 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: SOOPOO
If unemployment is still at double digits November 2020, then it will soon be up to President Cuomo to fix it. Or maybe President Biden.

We got this
Biden will fix it just as Obama inherited a crashed economy and started recovery
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 23rd, 2020 at 6:51:53 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: terapined
We got this
Biden will fix it just as Obama inherited a crashed economy and started recovery

Democrats are always the ones who have to be adults and clean up after Republicans' economic messes....
April 23rd, 2020 at 8:16:55 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: Gandler
Democrats are always the ones who have to be adults and clean up after Republicans' economic messes....

It isn't "the Republican's economic mess" this time. I think that attempting to blame President Trump for the Coronavirus economic impact on a broad scale will make it easier for him to fight back. Facts, actual ones that cannot be contested, on the other hand could be a lot harder to fight. Only an absolute idiot thinks that all of the economic hardships are going to be attributable to Trump when fifty governors and countless others are part of the equation.

We'll see how the Democrats play it...
April 23rd, 2020 at 8:22:54 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

Too bad they do not clean up their own. There are many.

Republicans have tried. Many Democrat messes to clean up. Great Society, Vietnam, Jimmy Carter malaise.......
The President is a fink.
April 23rd, 2020 at 8:31:32 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: RonC
It isn't "the Republican's economic mess" this time. I think that attempting to blame President Trump for the Coronavirus economic impact on a broad scale will make it easier for him to fight back. Facts, actual ones that cannot be contested, on the other hand could be a lot harder to fight. Only an absolute idiot thinks that all of the economic hardships are going to be attributable to Trump when fifty governors and countless others are part of the equation.

We'll see how the Democrats play it...

“I alone can fix it.” - DJT
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
April 23rd, 2020 at 9:16:27 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Ron is of course correct. The mess is not caused by DJT. But his policies and abilities in getting us out of it is open to question. One the American people will vote on in November.

The problem is, like Obamacare, once you give someone something for 'free', like the bonus unemployment to EXCEED your normal pay, like the absolutely silly $1200 for existing, the masses don't understand it can't go on forever. "Why should I work if I can just get checks?"

The perception will be that Democrats will want to continue such (see Yang, Sanders, Warren, Harris, Buttigieg) while Republicans will not. It will be interesting to see what Biden says when he is allowed out of his basement.
April 23rd, 2020 at 9:40:42 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: AZDuffman
Too bad they do not clean up their own. There are many.

Republicans have tried. Many Democrat messes to clean up. Great Society, Vietnam, Jimmy Carter malaise.......

You do realize Democrats are the ones who tried to keep Vietnam from becoming communists?

Republicans were the ones who scaled back and then pulled out (and allowed the North to overtake the whole country)... Blaming Vietnam in Democrats is about as historically inaccurate as you can get. Democrats spent years and billions trying to keep Southern Vietnam free.....

The Great Society was not perfect, but a huge step forward for social safety nets and consumer safety.

Jimmy Carter? He is one President who was not great, so what? I can cherry pick historically bad R Presidents as well..... He had one term and lost which is how it works if a President is not great or does not do his job...
April 23rd, 2020 at 9:52:36 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

The problem is, like Obamacare, once you give someone something for 'free', like the bonus unemployment to EXCEED your normal pay, like the absolutely silly $1200 for existing, the masses don't understand it can't go on forever. "Why should I work if I can just get checks?"

???????
My company calls me back, I come back
I want to work.
Nobody is under the impression that these benefits are endless
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 23rd, 2020 at 10:41:07 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Ron is of course correct. The mess is not caused by DJT. But his policies and abilities in getting us out of it is open to question. One the American people will vote on in November.

The Democrats best chance is to attack specifics that where the actual response was flawed, not some random statements.

The problem is, like Obamacare, once you give someone something for 'free', like the bonus unemployment to EXCEED your normal pay, like the absolutely silly $1200 for existing, the masses don't understand it can't go on forever. "Why should I work if I can just get checks?".

I already have heard some people saying their unemployment is better than what they expect to make and they may stay on it for a bit rather than head right back to work... Goes across party lines but some were generally upset because a millionaire employer laid everyone off and then complained that he had to go on unemployment, too. Not sure he even tried for the government money. It is a dental office and the hygienists get paid per customer; their revenue may be down until more people actually decide to start seeing dentists for routine visits again.

The perception will be that Democrats will want to continue such (see Yang, Sanders, Warren, Harris, Buttigieg) while Republicans will not. It will be interesting to see what Biden says when he is allowed out of his basement.

If you can't buy the votes, buy the votes!

On another front, it appears China, Russia, and Iran don't want Trump re-elected based on their actions in this crisis (including, well, helping it get to our country and the rest of the world). The Democrats were mad because Russia wanted Trump in 2016. Do you think that they will be equally mad about them NOT wanting Trump in 2020?

My position is that we should fight outside attacks on our elections from all fronts, no matter who they support. It should be up to our legally registered, properly identified, LIVE voters!
April 23rd, 2020 at 10:45:08 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
You do realize Democrats are the ones who tried to keep Vietnam from becoming communists?

Republicans were the ones who scaled back and then pulled out (and allowed the North to overtake the whole country)... Blaming Vietnam in Democrats is about as historically inaccurate as you can get. Democrats spent years and billions trying to keep Southern Vietnam free.....

And they failed miserably. After getting us into 3 wars in the 1900s before you would think they would be better at it. Democrats defunded S Vietnam when they needed help, allowing the north to overrun it. I'd suggest watching "Vietnam" if you have Netflix.

Quote:
The Great Society was not perfect, but a huge step forward for social safety nets and consumer safety.

It outright destroyed the Black nuclear family and destroyed our inner cities. It has also given us 50 years of a permanent poverty class.
The President is a fink.