8 votes (36.36%)
2 votes (9.09%)
3 votes (13.63%)

22 members have voted

March 20th, 2020 at 11:00:53 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: rxwine
What definition of racism are you using?

Doesn't look like this one: "prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior."

or this one : "the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races."

but if it does, please explain.

My definition.....Making any judgment to favor one individual over another based on race. (One of my definitions.... yours are part of the story as well, but CERTAINLY not the whole story)

So to me, Biden's statement is racist.
March 20th, 2020 at 11:16:46 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: Evenbob
I don't get it. Black voters
had their fill of 'all promises
do nothing' Obama, I don't
think they're chomping at
the bit to get another sold
out brother elected.

How can he be do nothing when you guys cheer about all of the stuff that Trump has undone that he did?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
March 20th, 2020 at 11:22:29 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: SOOPOO
My definition.....Making any judgment to favor one individual over another based on race. (One of my definitions.... yours are part of the story as well, but CERTAINLY not the whole story)

So to me, Biden's statement is racist.

So, even if it's likely one of our past Vice President's wasn't actually as qualified as some other race, the only thing you're allowed to do about it, is correct your actions from now on? That's always convenient.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 20th, 2020 at 11:30:33 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

The one that says only one
race may apply for this job,
all other races not even
considered. If Biden had said
he's considering White men
only, all hell would break loose.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 20th, 2020 at 11:44:03 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
It appears that the only people who are upset about Biden’s Supreme Court comment are Republicans.

So I must ask... who cares what they think? They’re not voting for him anyways...
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 20th, 2020 at 3:51:20 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: ams288
It appears that the only people who are upset about Biden’s Supreme Court comment are Republicans.

So I must ask... who cares what they think? They’re not voting for him anyways...

This is the failure of the Democrat party. They do not plan on governing for ALL. Biden will be my President even if I do not vote for him.
I'm sure many top Democrats are extremely unhappy with Biden's stance, just that it would not be politically wise for them to start attacking their nominee.
But you knew that already...
March 20th, 2020 at 4:45:14 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
This is the failure of the Democrat party. They do not plan on governing for ALL.

lol... and the GOP does?!
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 21st, 2020 at 7:08:25 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

Doesn't look like this one: "prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior."

or this one : "the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races."

but if it does, please explain.

Some positions are designated for special demographics. The last 16 Treasurers have been women (since 1953) and 7 of them have been Latinas. No one even pretends that the position of Treasurer cannot be filled by a middle-aged white man. Both Democratic and Republican Potus's have kept the poisition filled by women, and both parties have appointed Latinas in recent decades. Since the Treasurer signature appears on all banknotes, it is a particularly visible name, if not really a powerful position.

Jovita Carranza singature, current Treasurer of the US under President Trump.

But there is something wrong if you promise positions to certain demographics as part of election campaigns.

Quote: Jonathan Turley

https://jonathanturley.org/2020/03/19/supreme-identity-politics-biden-pledges-to-only-consider-black-females-for-supreme-court-pick/

In the case of vice president, such gender discrimination would be allowed, as presidential candidates can select a running mate on any grounds and voters can decide if they approve.

Justices, however, are lifetime appointees, and presidents have always been careful to state that, while they seek diversity among their nominees, they would appoint the most qualified person regardless of race, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. But in a single declaration, Biden quickly dispensed with even the pretense of equal consideration.
March 21st, 2020 at 7:55:23 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: Pacomartin

But there is something wrong promising positions to certain demographics as part of election campaigns.

I'm beating AZ to the punch. Your statement is so obviously correct that I find it hard to argue with someone who disagrees.
The problem is is that it is the new normal for the Democrat party.

Try and imagine if a Presidential candidate announced..... "The next Treasurer will be a white male."
March 21st, 2020 at 8:25:18 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Try and imagine if a Presidential candidate announced..... "The next Treasurer will be a white male."

The 6th female treasurer was a Latina who founded a multi-million dollar business in 1947 in SOCAL.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/14/Azie_Taylor_Morton.jpg]
The 8th female treasurer was an African American woman.

The 10th through 16th female treasurer (except 12th) was a Latina with only President Clinton breaking the new tradition by appointing a white woman.

The Treasurer is responsible for the Bureau of Engraving and Printing as well as the US Mint. The office does not really make any policy decisions, unlike the Secretary of the Treasurer which is only the second cabinet member in the order of Succession for POTUS (behind the Secretary of State).

The position of Treasurer should really be held by a very competent engineer since most of the problems in the last decade with the BEP have been engineering. My guess is that if you are looking at the best demographic for the position, you should consider Asian males. The 38th Director of the United States Mint was Edmund C Moy.