8 votes (36.36%)
2 votes (9.09%)
3 votes (13.63%)

22 members have voted

March 18th, 2020 at 1:12:51 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Gandler
It is clear he wants to make voting as restrictive as possible so as only to be convient for retired people...

Logic will not win this argument.

Nope. Just want voting to not be like ordering a pizza. Somehow we have survived centuries with election DAY. Before people had cars and when they had far less job flexibility. Enough of these days long elections where they “find” uncounted ballots in someone’s trunk.

Time the USA takes elections serious again.
The President is a fink.
March 18th, 2020 at 2:06:47 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: AZDuffman
Nope. Just want voting to not be like ordering a pizza. Somehow we have survived centuries with election DAY. Before people had cars and when they had far less job flexibility. Enough of these days long elections where they “find” uncounted ballots in someone’s trunk.

Time the USA takes elections serious again.

Initially voting was only allowed by White Male Landowners. They never had to worry about election day, because they rarely worked shift jobs....

There are many historic landmarks in voting. For example until the late 80s, military members could not vote while overseas or not in U.S. territory (on a ship for example).....

Even mail in ballots are a new concept, it was not until well into my lifetime that every state offered mail in ballots.....

There used to be poll taxes in many areas until the 1960s (to keep homeless, poor, etc... from voting).

A lot of people don't realize, that voting methods and criteria have changed a lot just in the last 50 years, let alone 200+ years.
The idea that this is the way it has always been, never any changes, is just not true.....

We live in the information era. Online voting will be a reality eventually, it is only a matter of when.... Election rules and methods have been changing (improving) for centuries and will continue to improve.
March 18th, 2020 at 2:34:03 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Initially voting was only allowed by White Male Landowners. They never had to worry about election day, because they rarely worked shift jobs....

There are many historic landmarks in voting. For example until the late 80s, military members could not vote while overseas or not in U.S. territory (on a ship for example).....

Even mail in ballots are a new concept, it was not until well into my lifetime that every state offered mail in ballots.....

There used to be poll taxes in many areas until the 1960s (to keep homeless, poor, etc... from voting).

A lot of people don't realize, that voting methods and criteria have changed a lot just in the last 50 years, let alone 200+ years.
The idea that this is the way it has always been, never any changes, is just not true.....

We live in the information era. Online voting will be a reality eventually, it is only a matter of when.... Election rules and methods have been changing (improving) for centuries and will continue to improve.

Not sure what any of this has to do with fraud alone being a reason not to have online voting.

Laziness is not an excuse that you cannot make it to the polls.
The President is a fink.
March 18th, 2020 at 3:09:51 PM permalink
Gandler
Not sure what any of this has to do with fraud alone being a reason not to have online voting.

Laziness is not an excuse that you cannot make it to the polls.

Except, you act like voting has not changed for "centuries", and just about every decade a major improvement occurs....

Laziness is not an excuse when you work a 12 hour shift and have no time to vote before or after work... (and, you already made it clear you think states should not give paid time off on voting days....) Voting is almost always a Tuesday, which for most people (even people who work 3 12s) is the middle of the work week....
Laziness is not an excuse if you are deployed overseas and cannot take leave to go to your home of record to vote.....
Laziness is not an excuse if you are in the hospital....
Laziness is not an excuse if you travel for work (which many people still do for long periods of time)....

The point is being against Online Voting, Absentee Ballots, and forced time off for voting only hurts people who work. It even more so hurts people who work hard (12 hour days every day or travel constantly.....)
People who are retied or unemployed have all day to vote......

You can't say "I am against people getting time off to vote" and then say "Look at that lazy person working a 12 too lazy to vote".... When many polls are only open 12 hours (often the same 12 hours people work.....) and sometimes you have you be able to wait close to an hour (or in extreme cases far longer)......
March 18th, 2020 at 3:48:12 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Except, you act like voting has not changed for "centuries", and just about every decade a major improvement occurs....

Laziness is not an excuse when you work a 12 hour shift and have no time to vote before or after work... (and, you already made it clear you think states should not give paid time off on voting days....) Voting is almost always a Tuesday, which for most people (even people who work 3 12s) is the middle of the work week....
Laziness is not an excuse if you are deployed overseas and cannot take leave to go to your home of record to vote.....
Laziness is not an excuse if you are in the hospital....
Laziness is not an excuse if you travel for work (which many people still do for long periods of time)....

We already have absentee ballots for most of this. If I am in the hospital voting is going to be far down the list of what I am concerned about. And very few people are working 12 hour shifts. You are just making excuses for lazy people.

And you are so fast to give away OPM in demanding time off to vote.

As an example, my dad worked all kinds of shifts over all kinds of years. Eventually he was told he had the longest no-vote-miss streak in the precinct. IOW, you can vote if you put in effort.

If it was just one day you had to go to collect UBI in person the people you say "can't find the time" would be crawling over broken glass to get their stolen from someone else free money.
The President is a fink.
March 18th, 2020 at 3:59:19 PM permalink
Gandler
We already have absentee ballots for most of this. If I am in the hospital voting is going to be far down the list of what I am concerned about. And very few people are working 12 hour shifts. You are just making excuses for lazy people.

And you are so fast to give away OPM in demanding time off to vote.

As an example, my dad worked all kinds of shifts over all kinds of years. Eventually he was told he had the longest no-vote-miss streak in the precinct. IOW, you can vote if you put in effort.

If it was just one day you had to go to collect UBI in person the people you say "can't find the time" would be crawling over broken glass to get their stolen from someone else free money.

You are missing the point, you said it should be the same as it as for centuries.

It has not been the same for centuries, it has continuously improved.

And, I have no doubt that it will continue to improve.

Countries across the world are developing and experimenting with online voting, and it will happen, it is just a matter of when, if you do not accept that, well reply in 10 years and we will see.
March 18th, 2020 at 4:02:11 PM permalink
AZDuffman
You are missing the point, you said it should be the same as it as for centuries.

It has not been the same for centuries, it has continuously improved.

And, I have no doubt that it will continue to improve.

Countries across the world are developing and experimenting with online voting, and it will happen, it is just a matter of when, if you do not accept that, well reply in 10 years and we will see.

I said we should have Election DAY. Not "same as centuries." Way back there was little need for Voter ID, now there is a big need to cite one example.

Let them have unsecure elections. No need for it here. Internet voting would invite so much fraud as to be unimaginable. Not to mention hacking by places like....................................RUSSIA!

Is that really what you want?
The President is a fink.
March 18th, 2020 at 4:04:04 PM permalink
Gandler
I said we should have Election DAY. Not "same as centuries." Way back there was little need for Voter ID, now there is a big need to cite one example.

Let them have unsecure elections. No need for it here. Internet voting would invite so much fraud as to be unimaginable. Not to mention hacking by places like....................................RUSSIA!

Is that really what you want?

It will be more secure overtime. I am sure you send money online and never worry about....

Online voting will increase young people turnout which is good for the DNC.
March 18th, 2020 at 4:10:10 PM permalink
AZDuffman
It will be more secure overtime. I am sure you send money online and never worry about....

Online voting will increase young people turnout which is good for the DNC.

Not really. New hacking methods will always keep it insecure.

Ah, now we see your motivation. All about helping Democrats. You have lost the argument! At least you admit it.

Funny how Democrats always need "help" to vote.
The President is a fink.
March 18th, 2020 at 4:19:20 PM permalink
Gandler
Not really. New hacking methods will always keep it insecure.

Ah, now we see your motivation. All about helping Democrats. You have lost the argument! At least you admit it.

Funny how Democrats always need "help" to vote.

We don't we already have the numbers (popular vote).

But, if more young people voted almost everywhere would be blue.

I also support restoring the voting rights of felons, which would help Democrats, but I would also support it, if it was not that way.

I would make the same argument if it helps Republicans, but it wouldn't. The reality is most people who vote Republican are old (retired).
Most people who work hard are Democrats.