Jesus Christ Superstar NBC Live version

Page 4 of 4<1234
April 3rd, 2018 at 11:59:42 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Wizard
There can be little comparison, JCS is so much better. I think the main thing Godspell has in its favor is it is probably fun and easy for any high school drama department to do.

To me
All Godspell is is 1 hit song
Its a pretty good song though
Day by Day
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 3rd, 2018 at 12:11:53 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
If it makes you feel better I really dislike Godspell.

Good grief, why? The Xtion group
I was in LOVED it, we sang the
main song over and over.

Day by day
Day by day
Oh, Dear Lord
Three things I pray
To see thee more clearly
Love thee more dearly
Follow thee more nearly
Day by day

What could you possibly find
wrong with that song. They
would sing with their eyes
closed and their arms swaying
over their heads, like true
cultists..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 3rd, 2018 at 1:01:06 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Evenbob
Day by day
Day by day
Oh, Dear Lord
Three things I pray
To see thee more clearly
Love thee more dearly
Follow thee more nearly
Day by day

That song is the perfect example of why Godspell sucked! That song is to music what a Krispy Kreme doughnut is to food. Thanks for putting it in my head, now I want to vomit.

In looking at the song list, I will say that All for the Best was kind of fun and By my Side had some meat to it, although I still don't get most of the lyrics. Like why did she put the pebble in her shoe?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
April 3rd, 2018 at 1:08:58 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
That song is the perfect example of why Godspell sucked! That song is to music what a Krispy Kreme doughnut is to food.

That's why the Xtion group I
was in loved it. It was sickening
and syrupy, just the way you're
supposed to worship Jesus. Kiss
he butt all day long.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 3rd, 2018 at 2:06:16 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
That song is the perfect example of why Godspell sucked! That song is to music what a Krispy Kreme doughnut is to food. Thanks for putting it in my head, now I want to vomit.

In looking at the song list, I will say that All for the Best was kind of fun and By my Side had some meat to it, although I still don't get most of the lyrics. Like why did she put the pebble in her shoe?

I used to perform By My Side at weddings. It was very meaningful to the brides.

It's about wanting to be with someone that you admire, who you think is above your level, but that if you do the work and endure the pain, you will be worthy of them. You trust they will wait, even go with you through the hard places, and once you have grown enough, you will join them and go together to the destination you both seek.

It's a song of vulnerability and commitment, sort of Ruth (whither though goest, my love, there I will follow), but also reflective of how a woman traditionally leaves her name, family, and previous involvements and begins a new life with her husband. Or a spiritual new life with Jesus.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
April 3rd, 2018 at 3:37:00 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: beachbumbabs
I used to perform By My Side at weddings. It was very meaningful to the brides.

It's about wanting to be with someone that you admire, who you think is above your level, but that if you do the work and endure the pain, you will be worthy of them. You trust they will wait, even go with you through the hard places, and once you have grown enough, you will join them and go together to the destination you both seek.

It's a song of vulnerability and commitment, sort of Ruth (whither though goest, my love, there I will follow), but also reflective of how a woman traditionally leaves her name, family, and previous involvements and begins a new life with her husband. Or a spiritual new life with Jesus.

Thanks. I think it is a beautiful song in the midst of a cheesy musical. The general meaning of the song I agree with you on but you explain it much better than I ever could. Any thoughts about the pebble and why it was named Dare? I have a theory, but every time I've mentioned it I've been laughed at and my self esteem is still on the mend over it, over 30 years later.

Here is my favorite wedding song.

Direct link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrTfNTzAvYY
April 3rd, 2018 at 3:52:28 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
For what it is worth my favorite religious musical by far is Fiddler on the Roof.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 3rd, 2018 at 8:52:54 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Thanks. I think it is a beautiful song in the midst of a cheesy musical. The general meaning of the song I agree with you on but you explain it much better than I ever could. Any thoughts about the pebble and why it was named Dare? I have a theory, but every time I've mentioned it I've been laughed at and my self esteem is still on the mend over it, over 30 years later.

Here is my favorite wedding song.

Direct link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrTfNTzAvYY

Thanks for bringing that one up, as well. I performed it at nearly every wedding I did, and I love it, too. It was originally written for Peter Yarrow's wedding, and one special night in 1977, I got to sing it with Peter at an after-concert party (we did a dozen or so of PPM songs). Such a huge compliment/thrill for me at the time. I reminded him of it last year, and he was kind enough to say he remembered. Facebook is amazing.

I miss singing so much. You're talking me into starting again, all this revisiting of "my" music, which definitely includes JCSS. And, yes, Fiddler on the Roof. Did that show 5 different productions, loved it, got a little sick of it, actually. But it holds up so well.

Edit Re:Dare

I'd love to hear your theory on that, very much.

I think it refers to a woman, instead of accepting what others ordained for her life, daring to step off her path and choose a new life for herself, even though she knows it will bring some pain and condemnation.

Women, at the time the show was written, were just beginning to break traditional boundaries in large numbers. It took a lot of nerve, at least in the Midwest, to choose a career over marriage, or a job to keep you until marriage, or to marry outside your "people". Especially if the career field was mostly a man's job.

A small bit of perspective : women were barred from the Service Academies until 1976. The ERA amendment was being considered 1972-77. Roe v Wade was 1972. All during the time Godspell was most popular. So I think it was part of that social moment. I could be wrong, though, and just projecting my life and thoughts onto it, which good songs usually let you do.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
April 4th, 2018 at 3:19:52 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I would highly encourage you to get back into singing. If I was able to carry a tune in a wheelbarrow I'd show it off too. You are officially challenged to karaoke your next Vegas visit.

I agree with the themes you bring up. My thoughts was more about the specific offer to hit the road with Jesus. Not a figurative one, but a real road. I certainly don't mean to take from your interpretation. We each must walk our own walk in this life and take from experiences what we will.

I may get into the pebble later, off the forum.
Page 4 of 4<1234