Jesus Christ Superstar NBC Live version

Page 1 of 41234>
April 2nd, 2018 at 4:07:42 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

Brandon Victor was excellent as Judas. Despite the name, Judas is basically the lead actor in the play. He brought a ferocity to the singing to balance out John Legend's and Sarah's angelic voices.

Quote: Wizard
That was part of the controversy about The Last Temptation of Christ.

The Last Temptation of Christ was written by Nikos Kazantzakis in 1955. While Zorba the Greek was very popular in the US, especially after the 1964 film, the LTofC was more accepted in Europe who was more open to the interpretation. The 1988 film directed by Martin Scorsese was very controversial in the USA.

Jesus and Marry Magdalene

Caiaphas , the Jewish Pharisee that plots against Jesus
April 2nd, 2018 at 5:41:50 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I thought it was outstanding. A few places I thought they changed the lyrics a bit, which I had no problem with.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
April 2nd, 2018 at 8:44:45 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Wizard
I thought it was outstanding. A few places I thought they changed the lyrics a bit, which I had no problem with.

I was hoping that NBC's numbers went up from their previous three live musicals but they didn't. I didn't see the other ones, but I thought the venue, and the musical instruments mixed into the crowd were particularly striking.

Hairspray (NBC, 12/7/16, 9.1 million same-day viewers)
The Wiz (NBC, 12/3/15, 11.5 million viewers)
The Sound of Music (NBC, 12/5/13, 18.6 million viewers)

I'm sort of glad it wasn't made more political.

When Deputy White House counsel Vincent W. Foster was found dead on July 20, 1993 his death was ruled a suicide by six official investigations, but remains a subject of conspiracy theories. I saw a production of Macbeth and they featured the latter half of his oft repeated quote prominently on the stage:

"I was not meant for the job or the spotlight of public life in Washington. Here ruining people is considered sport."

Normally, I don't mind inserting contemporary politics into older pieces of artwork, but it was nice to have a break.
April 2nd, 2018 at 9:40:30 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Pacomartin
I was hoping that NBC's numbers went up from their previous three live musicals but they didn't. I didn't see the other ones, but I thought the venue, and the musical instruments mixed into the crowd were particularly striking.

Times have changed
Old days, you missed it then you missed it
I missed it. Did not know it was on
With the internet, missing something is no big deal
I may watch tonight. Hopefully its on YouTube or a network web site
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 2nd, 2018 at 9:55:37 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Many TV shows are recorded in front of a live TV audience. They endeavor not to make any mistakes, but they will reshoot certain scenes. The audience, naturally, is resistant to laughing at the same joke twice.

But broadcasting live is meant to create an urge in the TV audience to see it real time. Of course, the 8PM start on the East Coast means 5PM in California and even earlier in Honolulu. With a 60 minute show, the actors shoot the show twice, but JCS was over 2 hours. The real audience has to sit through the commercials.

NBC tried one of their sitcoms LIVE, hoping it would create extra appeal, but it didn't work very well as comedians have a habit of ad libbing if they are getting a laugh. It is difficult to end the show on time with even a few extra lines.
April 2nd, 2018 at 10:23:05 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
We were watching the NCAA finals, but we have it recorded and we'll watch it some time this week. By all accounts it is marvelous, and I'm looking forward to it.
April 2nd, 2018 at 10:44:03 AM permalink
Pacomartin

Sara Bareilles Live singing "You've Got a Friend" 2015 for Carole King (songwriter) and the Obamas. She does a great job with Mary Magdalene.

Sara Bareilles being funny.

Her first album was made in 2010
April 2nd, 2018 at 10:58:07 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Mosca
Wed were watching the NCAA finals, but we have it recorded and we'll watch it some time this week. By all accounts it is marvelous, and I'm looking forward to it.

Congrats to Notre Dame
Incredible game
Incredible game winning shot
They deserved it after beating UCONN to get to the finals.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 2nd, 2018 at 11:40:14 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Quote: terapined
Congrats to Notre Dame
Incredible game
Incredible game winning shot
They deserved it after beating UCONN to get to the finals.

Thanks! Best Final Four in a long time, every game a buzzer-beater!
April 2nd, 2018 at 12:34:03 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Pacomartin
Brandon Victor was excellent as Judas. Despite the name, Judas is basically the lead actor in the play. He brought a ferocity to the singing to balance out John Legend's and Sarah's angelic voices.

You're absolutely right. I'm already on my second viewing (this is a rare show I can watch over and over many times) and he really shines as the brightest star on the stage. The other characters may have been toned their performances down just a bit to let him shine brighter. My interpretation of the whole story is the crucifixion (hard word spell) from Judas' point of view. I think that is why conservative Christians hate it so much.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
Page 1 of 41234>