Jesus Christ Superstar NBC Live version

Page 3 of 4<1234>
April 2nd, 2018 at 5:18:57 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
Just listened to a few of the songs and I loved it. Can't wait to watch the whole thing. I really like the JCS 2000 version so it will be hard to beat.

JCS mocks Jesus, you might enjoy
it. Portrays him as confused and in
over his head, with his eye on Mary
Magdalene.

There seems to be no end to the methods Satan will use to destroy faith in God, in Christ, and in the Bible. The widely publicized and popular rock opera, Jesus Christ Superstar, is but another bold attack against the deity of Jesus and the truthfulness of the Bible. A greater distortion of the Bible and of the real character of Jesus would be hard to imagine. It depicts Jesus as being only a man who is deceived into thinking he is God's Son. As a man he is depicted as being immoral by having a love affair with Mary Magdalene, who is supposed to be a harlot that has "had so many men before."

Jesus says in the play:

I must be mad thinking I'll be remembered -- yes

I must be out of my head!

Look at your blank faces!

My name will mean nothing

Ten minutes after I'm dead!"

Nowhere in the Bible does Jesus manifest doubt as to whether the apostles would remember him after his death. In Matt. 26:29 he promises to eat the Supper again with them in the "Father's kingdom." He knew this would be after his death and that they would be remembering him by eating the "Lord's Supper." Furthermore, Jesus never accused the eleven of not caring about him as is implied in the statement above.

When the mob comes to arrest Jesus and Peter drew his sword to defend the Lord, they report Jesus as saying:

"Put away your sword

Don't you know that it's all over?

It was nice but now it's gone

Why are you obsessed with fighting?

Stick to fishing from now on."

Thus, they depict Jesus as believing that the grave is the end; that his claim of life after death is false, and therefore, Peter should forget about everything Jesus had taught him and return to his fishing. This whole plot is a lie.

This is just a small sample of the
liberties taken with the NT. I think
it's great.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 2nd, 2018 at 6:58:56 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Evenbob
This is just a small sample of the liberties taken with the NT. I think it's great.

JCS is not a work of theology. It's a popular musical.
April 2nd, 2018 at 7:24:39 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
JCS certainly focuses on the Lord's humanity but there are moments where His divinity shine through. Even in His humanity there is something unique and puzzling to everyone who meets Him from Mary Magdalene to Pilate. I also think the motivation and struggle of Judas is interesting. If it makes you feel better I really dislike Godspell.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 2nd, 2018 at 8:01:36 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
If it makes you feel better I really dislike Godspell.

I've seen a college production of that, twice. I always thought it was a cross between JCS and Hair. I don't intensely dislike it, but would be in no hurry to watch it again.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
April 2nd, 2018 at 8:56:01 PM permalink
Evenbob
but there are moments where His divinity shine through.

Not possible, there is no god so there
is nothing divine. You probably think
it's a pain that I have to constantly
correct you, but somebody has to. You
can't repeat unproven speculations like
they were facts, it's not right. I'm sure
you agree.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 2nd, 2018 at 8:57:38 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Pacomartin
JCS is not a work of theology.

And therein lies the rub. Xtions
don't like anybody messing with
their super serious religious
scribblings..
April 2nd, 2018 at 9:17:57 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Evenbob
You
can't repeat unproven speculations like
they were facts, it's not right. I'm sure
you agree.

I do agree that you can't repeat unproven speculations like they were facts. Why do you keep saying there is no God then?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 2nd, 2018 at 9:21:33 PM permalink
Evenbob
Why do you keep saying there is no God then?

Sigh. Seriously?
April 3rd, 2018 at 6:51:29 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
If it makes you feel better I really dislike Godspell.

Godspell has certainly had very limited runs since the 1970s. It certainly seems dated in way that Jesus Christ Superstar is not.

Off-Broadway: Lamb's Theatre from June 12 - December 31, 1988
Off-Broadway: York Theatre from August 2 - October 7, 2000
Broadway: Circle in the Square Theatre officially opened on November 7, 2011. The production closed on June 24, 2012

Jesus Christ Superstar has had numerous revivals and has been playing almost constantly for half a century.
April 3rd, 2018 at 10:25:50 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Pacomartin
Jesus Christ Superstar has had numerous revivals and has been playing almost constantly for half a century.

There can be little comparison, JCS is so much better. I think the main thing Godspell has in its favor is it is probably fun and easy for any high school drama department to do.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
Page 3 of 4<1234>