Greatest Ever Female Vocalist

Page 5 of 7« First<234567>
February 21st, 2018 at 11:31:57 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Shout to JR for bringing along my girl Patsy =)

Weird thing about me, I like / enjoy almost no female singers whatsoever. I can surely spot talent. Aretha is a GD goddess. Carey, much as I despise every bit of her being, has a spooky range found only in machinery and computer programs. Legit alien, her range is. And who doesn't cry at Whitney's rendition of the Anthem?

But I think, much like romance, there needs to be more than just a small area of perfection to make a whole "thing", and I just don't feel "character" in these offerings. Aretha I can accept I just missed the boat and don't "get it", but from Mariah to Aguilera, all I hear is empty platitudes, manufactured soul, and a whole bunch of processed crap.

Lauren Hill. She's the only woman I can bring up her whole life's works, hit "shuffle" and let it roll for the rest of the entire week.

Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
February 21st, 2018 at 11:36:57 AM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
Joni Mitchell. Last Christmas, my daughter requested vinyl for Christmas and gave me a couple of crappy titles to get her, so I did some research. She was going through a breakup so I got her "Blue".

Phenomenal. I had never listened to Joni Mitchell in detail except for "Bobby McGee" and a couple of her other hits, but that songwriting and vocals on the album blew me away.
February 25th, 2018 at 9:26:30 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Sally Ellyson has an effortless untrained voice. Before becoming professional, she only sang to her children.

February 25th, 2018 at 11:30:04 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: boymimbo
Joni Mitchell. Last Christmas, my daughter requested vinyl for Christmas and gave me a couple of crappy titles to get her, so I did some research. She was going through a breakup so I got her "Blue".

Phenomenal. I had never listened to Joni Mitchell in detail except for "Bobby McGee" and a couple of her other hits, but that songwriting and vocals on the album blew me away.

Thanks for bringing Joni to the table.

Big Yellow Taxi
Chelsea Morning
And yes, Send in the Clowns

Didn't know.she ever covered Bobby McGee.

She's an original for sure.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
February 28th, 2018 at 3:09:50 AM permalink
FallawayJumper
Threads: 4
Quote: JimRockford
I'm not comparing her to the legendary A listers

To me, that is the great joy I find in YouTube - finding great talents that are relatively unknown. I'm going to try your recommendation. Here's one more from me: A singer named Jacintha. I'm constantly shocked to find relatively unknown people with such a high level of talent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdalt-QkASE&list=PLa4wcs3yJTlOoVevHKAH58Zs8SmeXIWQf&index=2
The Truth is like Poetry. And everybody hates poetry.
March 30th, 2019 at 8:28:12 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
DR JECKYL AND MR HYDE. (has the range)

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 31st, 2019 at 7:29:17 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
For your consideration.

Direct: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW3gKKiTvjs
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 13th, 2019 at 1:23:53 PM permalink
FallawayJumper
Threads: 4
I enjoy finding the unknowns
this Romanian girl - Sanziana - did this stuff on Romania's version of American Idol several years age
I believe she was only 15 or 16 when she appeared - she totally blew me away - since then she's pretty much disappeared
I'd like to hear your opinion on her covers of the these 2 classic songs
maybe a little overly dramatic on "Cry" - that's okay - I forgive her for that - more straightforward in "Look of Love"

The Truth is like Poetry. And everybody hates poetry.
May 13th, 2019 at 1:51:14 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I saw this live. I was there
Alfreda Gerald guesting with the Warren Haynes band
At about 5 min, Alfreda is set loose and they go back and forth, Warren's guitar vs Alfreda's voice. wow
What a set of pipes
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 13th, 2019 at 9:33:40 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: FallawayJumper
I enjoy finding the unknowns this Romanian girl - Sanziana - did this stuff on Romania's version of American Idol several years age

Her blind audition was 5 Oct. 2013

She was runner up in the finals to this young man

Caruso is such an incredible song that her choice of a more popular number may have done her in with some classical lovers
Page 5 of 7« First<234567>