A vocation in a vocation

Page 2 of 16<12345>Last »
January 27th, 2018 at 2:20:56 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Yeah, not everyone's comments are helpful but I do believe it is always good to be challenged. There are some differences in the Benedictine order. The Trappists are the ones who keep the very early hours of prayer and generally keep silence more. This is not where I am feeling called. The singing of the prayers is indeed a beautiful part of every Benedictine tradition as is the work. It would be a smaller interaction with the people of God, but in active monasteries that is not always the case.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 27th, 2018 at 2:28:10 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: FrGamble
Probably not the best place to get spiritual direction or advice, but I have found the conversations and insights here at times very helpful. I am currently discerning the possibility of religious life and becoming a monk. This is a big change from a diocesan priest. A monk lives in community and gives up all worldly possessions and things to live a life of intense prayer. Right now I'm on the front lines so to speak as a parish priest and this new vocation in a vocation would be a kind of retreat into the monestary. I would miss the active life I live now but the call to be more radically committed to prayer is strong. I of course welcome any thoughts, questions, or comments it might be very helpful in my discernment. God bless!

Some background would help me give input.

1. Would being a monk mean you "demit" from the Priesthood?

2. What are you going to do all day as a monk? IOW, is it just praying all day or is it making wine or showing guests the monestary part of the day?

I ask #2 for a reason. While I have a lot of respect for the nuns and monks that live in prayer (e.g.: the group of nuns near Auschwitz) on the other level I kind of see them getting to heaven and getting a reception like the guy who buried his one talent of gold, afraid to lose it.

God: "I like that you prayed all day, but what did you do to help your fellow man as an able bodied man?"

From what I have seen and what you have outright said, I can see that you are the guy who wants to just help and needs to "team up" with the guy who would rather help by getting you the building permit for the mission and seeing that the kitchen passes the health department inspection.

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM if you like.
The President is a fink.
January 27th, 2018 at 2:35:32 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Dalex64
I agree with your assessment that this is not the best place to be asking for spiritual advice, and would go even further and suggest that it isn't even a good place for that sort of advice.
Perhaps asking Ploppies for BlackJack advice is unwise or asking asylum inmates is unwise, but I see no harm in receiving the responses, no one has to accept them. I recall one man who went to Yale for a masters in Drama on the advice of someone he briefly encountered at a NYC lunch counter. Not the best source for career guidance but it worked out well for him.
January 27th, 2018 at 3:13:59 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Youdon't want to know why I'm saying this: I think it's an excellent idea.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 27th, 2018 at 4:23:38 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
If you really want isolation where you can pray and contemplate just live in a big city where you don't know anyone. Monks have a community, however small.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 27th, 2018 at 5:10:52 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Probably not the best place to get spiritual direction or advice, but I have found the conversations and insights here at times very helpful. I am currently discerning the possibility of religious life and becoming a monk. This is a big change from a diocesan priest. A monk lives in community and gives up all worldly possessions and things to live a life of intense prayer. Right now I'm on the front lines so to speak as a parish priest and this new vocation in a vocation would be a kind of retreat into the monestary. I would miss the active life I live now but the call to be more radically committed to prayer is strong. I of course welcome any thoughts, questions, or comments it might be very helpful in my discernment. God bless!

Ok. You're asking honestly. I will give you an hones opinion.

5 reference points for me.

1. My undergrad is from a Jesuit university (Creighton )

2. I lived as a dormer in a secluded nunnery for 3 months in 1981.

3. Mother Teresa. The holiest woman of our lifetime.

4. Pope Francis. The holiest Pope of our lifetime.

5. The movie Sister Act. Bear with me on this last one.

1. The Jesuits are still humans ,but the most intelligent, thoughtful, generous group of people I've ever known. They do not live in contemplation. They live to inspire. Inspiration, the drawing of breath in the Latin derivation. They bring fresh thought, and more importantly, teach HOW to think, both logically and spiritually. They serve others to serve God.

2. The nuns of St. Marys. They give up all worldly goods and live in a bare cell, eat plain food. Nothing to distract from their communication with God, though a few interact with the community as teachers, church workers, or through medicine. I did not speak much with those who were withdrawn. But they did not seem to be in religious ecstasy or even have the spiritual energy of others who interacted. They were simply blank and lifeless.

3. Mother Teresa. There is no one who ever lived closer to God, and she was never alone. I know EB has poohpoohed her before, but there are months of video documentation and thousands of witnesses who felt her presence and benefitted thereby. She had many setbacks, and many difficult days, but she kept her God with her and persevered. I don't believe as she did, but I respect her enormously.

4. Pope Francis. He has lived the simple, straightforward life in a poor community, poor nation, poor continent all his life. He brings his way forward; rather than being changed by suddenly having every possible bit of power, richness, and authority thrown at him, he has changed the Church and the world with clear thinking, simple ways, and unshakable faith. Again, I am not Catholic, but Pope Francis could get me to the font. And he does that by being a man of, and for, and with, his people.

5. Sister Act. Skip the silliness, the musical numbers. Listen with your heart to the parts of the movie with dialogue between Maggie Smith (Mother Abbess), Whoopi Goldberg, the two young nuns, and the old choir director nun. It's a conversation/argument that runs throughout the movie about what they are nuns FOR, (slightly different from why) and echoes many of your thoughts. See who you agree with, from your perspective and life service so far.

If all 5 of those examples of serving God through serving your fellow man leave you uninspired (in the Latin sense of drawing spiritus into yourself and radiating it outward in multiples) then yes, you should withdraw, because the spirit of fellowship has left you. And the world will be the lesser place for it.

I went to a funeral for a close family friend today. She was my mother's best friend. My mother made herself well enough to leave the hospital so I could take her. She was not religious, but she was an inspiration. She was a city councilman for more than 2 decades, got a US Congressman elected, started our town's library (which they named after her), did so many things for others. Her love for her community was infectious as her laugh.

She was not a priest. But she inspired. You have that talent for communication. You did come to the right place, because you will never have a sharper group of Devils advocates to test your faith.

Pass the test.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
January 27th, 2018 at 5:13:19 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Fleastiff
It is not a life I would ever choose or contemplate choosing.

I went on a couple of meditation retreats
in the 70's. It's OK at first but gets very
old very fast. It's a lifestyle that appeals
to many, only because they've never
actually done it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 27th, 2018 at 5:16:03 PM permalink
FrGamble
I would remain always a priest. I love the priesthood with all my heart.

It is true what some are picking up on in that it is a smaller more isolated life. The idea is that you have less distractions to focus on loving the Lord more deeply and personally. This means that you also aren't able to serve the Church and the world in the same way. You certainly aren't just praying all day. Some monks work in a parish, or give retreats, or are counselors, etc. Other monks might work apart from the world making things like the best beer in the world (look it up). However, one of the first big questions anyone thinking about the religious life has to ask is, "Am I doing this because it is an escape or retreat from the world? Or am I doing this because I feel God is calling me to this unique and intense relationship with Him?" One question I keep thinking about is perhaps there is a way to live this life of pursuing holiness all out in the world instead of in a monastery?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 27th, 2018 at 5:37:16 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
The idea is that you have less distractions to focus on loving the Lord more deeply and personally.

The translation of this is, you get
to have more 'me' time, to focus
on what you want and need. But
religious people can't say stuff
like that, so they blame it on god,
as usual. I understand completely..

An atheist would say he's selling
his business and making his life
simpler so he can find his direction
at this point in his life. He doesn't
have to make excuses for being
selfish because nobody expects
him to be selfless, like they do
with religious leaders.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 27th, 2018 at 7:03:51 PM permalink
FrGamble
This is a good challenge. It takes some time for this to happen and one of the biggest questions that need to be asked is this for God or is it selfish. That is why you need spiritual direction and lots of prayer. Of course if God calls me to the monastery you then have a year novitate, followed by a 3 year trial, followed finally by solemn vows.
Page 2 of 16<12345>Last »