The Trump Impeachment Thread

Page 3 of 231<123456>Last »
May 25th, 2017 at 7:41:21 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Wizard
The vast majority of Republicans voted to remove Bill Clinton from office for lying about sex, which I think a very high percentage of married men do. Whatever you feel about that, the vote went down pretty much by party line, not the facts of the case or the will of the voters who voted him into office.

In the case of Golden Boy trump, the will of the majority of the voters, by a difference of 3 million votes, was for his rival, Hillary Clinton.

So suck it.

Also, it's amazing how his supporters are quick to bring up "he did nothing illegal!" when he reveals classified information, but when a legal process codified in the Constitution, Impeachment, is brought up, the reaction is to say "How dare you apply the law in defiance of the minority of voters who voted for him!"

As a wise woman once said "Suck it."
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
May 25th, 2017 at 8:27:40 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Legal, illegal, stupid.

Someone who can't properly handle classified information isn't fit to hold office. Trump said so himself.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2017/05/15/trump-leak-tweets/323905001/
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
May 26th, 2017 at 7:46:10 AM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: Dalex64
The Republicans turned on Nixon.

Exactly. And if during Watergate his approval rating had remained above 30%, the GOP never would have abandoned him.
May 26th, 2017 at 7:49:21 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Dalex64
The Republicans turned on Nixon.

Back then, there was a shred of principles left in politics.

Today it's all partisan.

But let's not forget one thing: Golden Boy trump is not a Republican. He's an opportunist and a parasite. The vast majority of the GOP establishment never wanted him on the White House, and most of them still don't.

Now, Mike Pence isn't on anyone's short list for the presidency, but compared to Trump he might as well be Abe Lincoln reborn. The main problem is he's as spineless as they come, so he should be easily intimidated by the divided GOP Congress in turn. But he's likely uninvolved in the Russia thing, he knows politics, he looks right, and as far as I know he doesn't fly off the handle at every perceived slight. He probably won't blurt out secrets to the Russians or the president of the Philippines, either, nor undercut his own staff when they are attempting to effect damage control.

There are only two problems facing the GOP:

1) Trumps continues to enjoy support among Republican voters, though this is eroding slowly.
2) Golden Boy has a level of passionate, hard core supporters. People for whom Trump cannot possibly do any wrong, no matter what wrong he does. Even so, approval among this sector is also eroding, albeit much more slowly.

It's hard to make predictions, especially about the future, but we can list two possibilities

1) If polling for next year's midterm elections indicate massive trouble for GOP candidates, the party establishment may turn against Trump.

2) If the Democrats win back the House and Senate (unlikely, but who can tell what a further 18 months of Trump's Horror Show may yield), Impeachment will be a given.

BTW, if the US intelligence agencies were anything like they're depicted in popular entertainment, especially the movies, I'm sure Golden Boy would have met an unfortunate "accident" already.
May 26th, 2017 at 8:30:12 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
If the Democrats win back the House and Senate (unlikely, but who can tell what a further 18 months of Trump's Horror Show may yield), Impeachment will be a given.

There are five Democratic senate seats which are vulnerable
There are two Republican senate seats that are not vulnerable, but are less than certain (Nevada and Arizona) .

The country would have to take a radical turn for the Democrats to take the Senate. It would have to be a true "Horror Show".

Last election (Republican seats up for election in 2018)
"(R) 46%" Nevada | Dean Heller
"(R) 49%" Arizona | Jeff Flake
"(R) 56%" Nebraska | Deb Fischer
"(R) 57%" Mississippi | Roger Wicker
"(R) 57%" Texas | Ted Cruz
"(R) 65%" Utah | Orrin Hatch
"(R) 65%" Tennessee | Bob Corker
"(R) 76%" Wyoming | John Barrasso

The Democrats have their hopes pinned on 2020.
May 26th, 2017 at 9:13:24 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
The country would have to take a radical turn for the Democrats to take the Senate.

Yeah, that's why I said "unlikely," even though the party in the White House usually losses seats in midterms.

Quote:
It would have to be a true "Horror Show".

I've a feeling Golden Boy is just getting warmed up. He doesn't seem to understand that a) "I felt like it," and b) "It benefits me," are not valid policy justifications, even in a corrupt government.

He's completely impervious to empathy, understanding, compassion and learning. In itself that's not too bad. In addition he's convinced he knows everything, or at least that he knows better than everyone else. That's a dangerous combination. Fortunately thus far he seems more dangerous to himself than to others.
May 26th, 2017 at 12:00:35 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: reno
Impeachment isn't about law, it's about politics.

Yup, and it never ever behooves you to
throw your own man out of office.
So far in our entire history, no president
has been thrown out of office by
impeachment, not even Andrew Johnson.
But the Left seriously think Trump will
be. It just boggles the mind.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 26th, 2017 at 1:06:21 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: reno
Did Nixon break any law? It's irrelevant, it doesn't matter. Impeachment isn't about law, it's about politics.

Not exactly.

Absent some plausible action that can be defined as "high crimes and misdemeanors," you won't get far in impeachment proceedings. The threat has often been used against Supreme Court Justices who issue unpopular opinions (it's not just the current president who can be impeached). I mean, the GOP had a majority in the House. They could have started impeachment proceedings against Obama, but they didn't. Not because they couldn't convict him in the Senate (that didn't stop the Clinton impeachment), but because the public wouldn't stand for it (past a few morons, the kind you find in all parties). Ditto with Bush the younger.
May 26th, 2017 at 1:39:30 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
I've been watching the retards on the news talk about "a source said this..." and "a source said that...." for a while now. Okay...saying that alone does not make them retards; it is the depth to which they lend full credence to every word that is said as if it was an actual sworn statement. Hopefully, these sources will come out of their cloak of anonymity and speak about the allegations they make to the Special Counsel. Of course, the Special Counsel has a close relationship with Comey...so who knows if he should have been chosen for the job in spite of his credentials. Probably should have been someone with little contact with anyone who may end up being investigated.

I'm not overly impressed with the President and his tweets so far; I am less impressed with the media and their ilk. I've never seen so many people try to imply actual criminal activity when, to date, none has been found. If they find it, I am fine with criminal charges and impeachment (if it involves a person subject to impeachment and removal). Until then, stop acting like paid shills for the Democrats. Report on what is going on, like the President's trip, and then have analysts analyse it. Too many reporters trying to be the news.

I can hardly watch CNN, MSNBC, or Fox...24 hour news has not done much for me lately. The same crap hour after hour...
May 26th, 2017 at 2:42:49 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: RonC
If they find it, I am fine with criminal charges and impeachment

Ever read Andrew Johnson's story? He was a
a Democrat who hated the idea of rebuilding
the South after the war. He stood against
all congress tried to do. He was finally accused
of some crime and even then they didn't get
rid of him. He was impeached by the House
but not convicted in the senate. He stayed
in office and ran for a 2nd term. They throw
impeachment around like it's a hum drum
deal, happens all the time. Sorry, it doesn't.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 3 of 231<123456>Last »