No votes (0%)
1 vote (4.34%)

23 members have voted

July 28th, 2020 at 3:57:15 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: AZDuffman
Well, this was all after Bush had to clean up Clinton's dotcom bubble mess. Plus most of the immediate work was done before Obama took office. He still messed it up with the weakest recovery of our time.

How in the hell was Clinton responsible for the dot com bubble? How the hell would Bush have been responsible for the credit/housing bubble? Why does nothing about this conversation make any sense?
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
July 28th, 2020 at 4:02:45 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: SOOPOO
That's a separate argument. I was responding to Mission who did not understand that the mere election of Trump spurred the market on, because the market doesn't care about your perception of smog.

I really don’t understand why you would continue to insult someone with an economics degree by suggesting that the person does not understand that events can impact the market in the short-term. I’m not calling it an insult in the forum sense of the term and request no action be taken.

Yes, reduced taxes and regulation are generally good for the bottom-lines of companies. However, the markets are a wide-variety of interrelated things that encompass a LOT more than that. Otherwise, you could just have zero taxes and zero regulations and you would be guaranteed to have a great market...which isn’t at all true. More than that, POTUS would have to be unilaterally capable of putting these things in place, which he is not. Granted, having a POTUS who would not veto certain tax cuts makes such tax cuts more likely (for one oversimplified example), but it would still require Congress to pass a bill that entails such tax cuts.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
July 28th, 2020 at 4:06:35 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
If you do not like that kind of living leave China for crying out loud.

Well, that's the problem with many political arguments. You can't be impressed by someone's argument that their system brings you more of some specific reward, if you have a different balance of values.

For instance, I also see the 2nd amendment as problematic as practiced, I'm would not be impressed by the freedom of Tom, Dick, and Mary to carry guns. Especially Dick. Because he's a dick.

Btw, have you checked the signs? Maybe you're the one in China.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 28th, 2020 at 4:13:26 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine

Btw, have you checked the signs? Maybe you're the one in China.

ANTIFA, BLM, and the Democrats are trying to make us China. We are holding out at the moment. I have never been to China and have no desire to die saying I have been there.
The President is a fink.
July 28th, 2020 at 4:33:53 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
ANTIFA, BLM, and the Democrats are trying to make us China. We are holding out at the moment. I have never been to China and have no desire to die saying I have been there.

In China BLM and ANTIFA would not last one hour.....

They know how to deal with protests and riots in China.....
Many States here are weak, and push back against Federal influx of enforcment....
July 28th, 2020 at 4:37:55 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Gandler
In China BLM and ANTIFA would not last one hour.....

They know how to deal with protests and riots in China.....
Many States here are weak, and push back against Federal influx of enforcment....

Push back against Federal enforcement. While allowing thugs to terrorize the people that live there.
The President is a fink.
July 28th, 2020 at 4:39:58 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Push back against Federal enforcement. While allowing thugs to terrorize the people that live there.

Sadly, very true.
July 28th, 2020 at 5:33:29 PM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: Mission146
What the hell does the 2007 high have to do with anything? He did not inherit the 2007 high, did he? I believe, and you can correct me if I am wrong, that he took office in 2009.

This is, you know, EXACTLY MY POINT about wanting people to use a consistent standard.

The DOW reached an all time high of 14,164 on Oct. 11, 2007. That became the recovery point.

There IS a consistent standard. The Dow recovery is measured by how long it takes the Dow to return to it’s all time high. That is how the durations of bear markets and corrections are measured. Not how many points the Dow recovered from its low. It typically takes two years to recover from a bear market. It took five and a half years for the Dow to recover its losses after 2007.

The economy continued to grow, but even after the Fed injected $4 trillion into the money supply, not counting the multiplier effect, it remains the slowest economic recovery since WW2.

Gold Medal

Slowest Recovery Since Truman

Worst Economic Recovery Ever
July 28th, 2020 at 5:56:03 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: Tanko
The DOW reached an all time high of 14,164 on Oct. 11, 2007. That became the recovery point.

There IS a consistent standard. The Dow recovery is measured by how long it takes the Dow to return to it’s all time high. That is how the durations of bear markets and corrections are measured. Not how many points the Dow recovered from its low. It typically takes two years to recover from a bear market. It took five and a half years for the Dow to recover its losses after 2007.

The economy continued to grow, but even after the Fed injected $4 trillion into the money supply, not counting the multiplier effect, it remains the slowest economic recovery since WW2.

Gold Medal

Slowest Recovery Since Truman

Worst Economic Recovery Ever

It became what? How the hell is that not arbitrary? It didn’t even begin to fall from that point under Obama and Obama was not in office during most of the fall.

Obama inherited a DOW that was lower than when Bush took office in the first place, what prevents that from being your capricious, “Recovery point?” You could say that the recovery point began when Bush took office and that would be an improvement for Obama, though still worse than the DOW he actually inherited.

Okay, so by the same standard, the DOW is currently down relative to its all-time high, and therefore, we actually have a bad economy under President Trump. Do you see why this fails to make any sense?

Also, the President has very little to do with how the markets perform!!! That’s true regardless of who is President. Unless Trump personally created COVID-19, he’s mainly not responsible for the fact that the markets are lower than they were to start the year.
July 28th, 2020 at 8:28:30 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189

If they're caught doing a crime, let justice take its course.

Unlike the President and AGBarr I'm not interested trying to keep people out of jail who do crimes like Flynn and Stone.
Unlike the President and AGBarr I'm not interested trying to keep people out of jail who do crimes like Flynn and Stone.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?