2 votes (8.69%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (4.34%)

23 members have voted

July 28th, 2020 at 2:10:28 PM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: Mission146
....when he took office and Obama left the DOW 148.3% higher than it was when he took office. Those are just facts.

Under the Obama administration, the Dow added 43% to its 2007 high by Election Day Nov. 2016.

That was only after the Fed inflated the money supply by $4 trillion imaginary dollars.

Between the 2016 election and Dec. 2019, the Dow added another 53% to the previous high, in only three years, with no multi trillion dollar monopoly money injections to drive the market. It would have gained 63% by now, if not for Covid-19.
July 28th, 2020 at 2:20:05 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: Tanko
Under the Obama administration, the Dow added 43% to its 2007 high by Election Day Nov. 2016.

That was only after the Fed inflated the money supply by $4 trillion imaginary dollars.

Between the 2016 election and Dec. 2019, the Dow added another 53% to the previous high, in only three years, with no multi trillion dollar monopoly money injections to drive the market. It would have gained 63% by now, if not for Covid-19.

What the hell does the 2007 high have to do with anything? He did not inherit the 2007 high, did he? I believe, and you can correct me if I am wrong, that he took office in 2009.

This is, you know, EXACTLY MY POINT about wanting people to use a consistent standard. The day people take office seems reasonable enough to me, even though I still think the POTUS doesn't have a ton of influence over overall market movement, in any case.

Also, the POTUS does not control the Fed, by design.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
July 28th, 2020 at 2:44:25 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Mission146

This is, you know, EXACTLY MY POINT about wanting people to use a consistent standard. The day people take office seems reasonable enough to me, even though I still think the POTUS doesn't have a ton of influence over overall market movement, in any case.

I'm hoping you don't do a lot of investing, because you have no idea how the stock market works! You think after Trump was elected but before he was inaugurated the market was responding to Obama's policies and ideas, and not Trump's future plans? THIS president, for all his flaws, was a boon to 'the market'. Less regulation, less taxes, ..... The market knew what it was getting....
July 28th, 2020 at 2:57:54 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: SOOPOO
Less regulation, less taxes, ..... The market knew what it was getting....

You don't get a race car with emissions control.

But 'unlike many republicans, my values value are more than living in a chemical dump, smoggy air, climate change with a pocketful of cash.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 28th, 2020 at 2:58:47 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: petroglyph

On the BA thing. Boeing already is union in the PNW, and Chicago and just wanted to jump states so they could have a non union assembly plant to use as leverage in labor contracts against workers that are already organized. Why should unions have to organize the same jobs in every state? The agreements have already been negotiated long and hard. How can you support BA management when they have run the company into the ground? They have bankrupted the company with poor management and taking billions of loans just for share buybacks and golden parachutes for bad management. Then they decide to knowingly build this 737 with crash problems built in. Boeing has set American plane manufacturing back in America single handedly, possibly forever with bad management. You can't even compare that with what union labor or non union labor would cost shareholders. BS.

And to have a non-union plant as "leverage" as you term it is just smart business! Very few unionized companies are world leaders. In the 1990s the UAW would strike "chokepoint" plats at GM to get leverage. It is clearly a tactic both sides use.

As to share buybacks, not a thing in the world wrong with them. Tax advantages compared to dividends. So a better way to return money to shareholders.

It is a new plant so should not be subject to union rules at the other plant. The workers should not have to be forced under this system. I am not an expert on 737 or any other plane design so cannot comment there.
The President is a fink.
July 28th, 2020 at 3:05:05 PM permalink
Tripdufan
Threads: 0
Quote: Tanko

lmao

Just ignore the LAST republican administration that turned the country to s**t before a Democrat had to clean it up.

Here we are again...rinse/repeat.
July 28th, 2020 at 3:19:31 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: SOOPOO
I'm hoping you don't do a lot of investing, because you have no idea how the stock market works! You think after Trump was elected but before he was inaugurated the market was responding to Obama's policies and ideas, and not Trump's future plans? THIS president, for all his flaws, was a boon to 'the market'. Less regulation, less taxes, ..... The market knew what it was getting....

That's short-term market movement, of course these sorts of things can impact short-term market movement. I'm talking about responsibility for the market at one point in time as opposed to where it is four years later. I'm also saying that Presidential policies do not have ZERO impact, just that the POTUS is far from solely responsible as relates what happens to the market during his tenure.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
July 28th, 2020 at 3:34:22 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Tripdufan
lmao

Just ignore the LAST republican administration that turned the country to s**t before a Democrat had to clean it up.

Here we are again...rinse/repeat.

Well, this was all after Bush had to clean up Clinton's dotcom bubble mess. Plus most of the immediate work was done before Obama took office. He still messed it up with the weakest recovery of our time.
The President is a fink.
July 28th, 2020 at 3:54:41 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: rxwine

But 'unlike many republicans, my values value are more than living in a chemical dump, smoggy air, climate change with a pocketful of cash.

That's a separate argument. I was responding to Mission who did not understand that the mere election of Trump spurred the market on, because the market doesn't care about your perception of smog.
July 28th, 2020 at 3:56:59 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine

If you do not like that kind of living leave China for crying out loud.
The President is a fink.