is Trump trying to lose?

October 13th, 2016 at 11:23:05 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
I can say this with 100% certainty.... who Mr. Trump donated to is not relevant. The donations are the 'price to pay' for direct access to meet with the candidates or elected officials. If one of Trump's lobbyists wanted to meet with Senator Clinton to discuss a possible bill exempting golf courses from some environmental regulation, the ear of the candidate is more open after the donation has been sent. So as unfathomable as it may seem, some Liberal Democrat businessman has likely 'had' to make a donation to Ted Cruz! Of course the majority of donations are made to legislators and potential legislators that support your general philosophies, that is not always the case.
In statewide politics, you would be surprised at how low the figures could be; donations in the low hundreds are noticed.

Anyway, wouldn't it be just peachy if after Hillary gets elected she appoints a special prosecutor to investigate The Donald's businesses, donations, groping, Cuban dealings, Russian ties, etc......

On a personal note, liberal terapined and I will be golfing together this weekend in his native Tampa. I am very looking forward to meeting him, and after the round when he changes to a true conservative I will alert the forum.......
October 13th, 2016 at 12:04:24 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: terapined
I'm an atheist that believes in science
Which political party is appropriate for me?
I think the answer is easy
I think its deplorable to push religion on me. I support gay marriage.
I think its deplorable to ignore science and go with a fantasy instead. Global warming.

That was not the point at all, Terp!! You (and I assume all here) do not meet the definition of a "deplorable" in any sense. The point was that there ARE deplorable people in each party not that being in a party made you a deplorable. Some people on these boards do live in a fantasy land where everything in their party is just fine and the other party only includes turdballs. That is far, far from the truth and is unacceptable as a position because it okays your particular party doing things wrong without repercussions.
October 13th, 2016 at 12:43:57 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: SOOPOO

On a personal note, liberal terapined and I will be golfing together this weekend in his native Tampa. I am very looking forward to meeting him, and after the round when he changes to a true conservative I will alert the forum.......

Still a registered republican that never voted for Bill :-)
I did vote for Obama 2 times
Monetary conservative but a social lib.
Reminds me, gotta some buy balls.
I generally don't hit far enough where I don't see where it drops so don't lose them that way
Water hazard, that's a different story :-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 13th, 2016 at 2:03:05 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
This list explains Team Hillary's diabolical campaign strategy (I mean that as a compliment). It was written by a former Republican Congressman.

Quote: Former Rep. John LeBoutillier (R-N.Y.)
23. Last winter, as Trump cut through the 17-person GOP field with alacrity, Team Clinton learned a valuable lesson: Do not take Trump lightly.

24. They proceeded to vacuum up everything they could find — and then, instead of revealing what they had, they held it.

25. And waited.

26. First, they waited for Trump to be officially nominated.

27. And then they waited again.

28. Until late September and the first debate, when they unveiled Machado and backed Trump off from attacking the Clinton Foundation by having the Trump Foundation card ready to throw in his face.

29. Then they doled out the income tax returns.

30. If I'm right, then Team Clinton has been diabolically clever.

31. They waited and waited and waited before unveiling all of this.

32. Why?

33. Because they wanted to make sure that state filing deadlines had passed and thus the GOP could not replace Trump with a better candidate who could defeat Clinton.

I'm beginning to think they're not done yet. The next few weeks should be devastating for Trump.
October 13th, 2016 at 2:24:33 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: reno
This list explains Team Hillary's diabolical campaign strategy (I mean that as a compliment). It was written by a former Republican Congressman.

It makes sense from Clinton's perspective. It may be one of the best strategies ever. She was a troubled candidate with huge negatives and ended up against the absolutely perfect opponent...another troubled candidate (Before you "nothing is wrong with her" jabroni types get all juiced up, am not saying that they were troubled for the same reasons...both just had high negatives).

Had she run against a less troubled candidate, there would not be as much bad stuff to "drop" in at various times. That candidate would likely have started far behind and moved steadily closer. Beat her? Maybe, maybe not. There would just be a lot less negative to information coming out at this point with anyone else.

It does lead me wonder if it will backfire on her in the end. She gets elected; someone confirms a few of these stories. She is already not popular...could some of these things cause her to be wildly unpopular and hurt in the 2018 and 2020 elections? Could the "basket of deplorables" get larger as in more people deploring her? Fire is a funny thing. Sometimes it burns the very people who start it.
October 13th, 2016 at 2:39:28 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Similar to wikileaks strategy, except they claimed that they had stuff but weren't releasing it yet.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
October 13th, 2016 at 3:19:56 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
I think the Republicans actually had the ability to find information and hit Trump hard before he got the nomination. I think they miscalculated terribly.

Or maybe I'm giving them too much credit.

In truth, the GOP had to worry about damaging their brand with too much garbage, but maybe succeeded anyway. Hillary didn't really have to worry about how much crap to dump on trump because it had no effect on her party.

It's mostly consisted of playing Trump words back at him.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 13th, 2016 at 3:45:37 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: rxwine
I think the Republicans actually had the ability to find information and hit Trump hard before he got the nomination. I think they miscalculated terribly.

Maybe and maybe not.

Suppose Cruz, Rubio or Kasich, or for that matter some anonymous source, had released the infamous Access Hollywood video (that's the one where the Orange Man boasts about abusing women) during the primaries. Suppose the establishment turns on him, as well as the media. Then suppose Trump still gets the GOP nomination.

What happens to the GOP then?

Whatever they do, it's messy. if they do nothing, it's messy as well.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 13th, 2016 at 8:43:17 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Because they wanted to make sure that state filing deadlines had passed and thus the GOP could not replace Trump with a better candidate who could defeat Clinton.

I think it is a given that all this stuff which is 10 or 20 years old has been in storage for months or possibly even years. The shock value wears off quickly, so why waste it early in the game.

As I understand it, there are seven republican held seats in the senate that are vulnerable. If Trump brings down five of them, then the Democrats have control of the Senate with the 2 Independents. If Trump brings down all 7 then the Democrats control without the Independents.

114th Congress (2015-2017) Senate
Majority Party: Republican (54 seats)
Minority Party: Democrat (44 seats)
Other Parties: 2 Independents (both caucus with the Democrats)

1) Mark Kirk United States Senator kirk.senate.gov
Mark Steven Kirk is the junior United States Senator from Illinois and a member of the Republican Party. Previously, Kirk was a member of the U.S. House of Representatives, representing Illinois's 10th congressional district.
Born: September 15, 1959 (age 57), Champaign, IL
Candidate for: United States Senator, IL

2) Ron Johnson United States Senator ronjohnson.senate.gov
Ronald Harold "Ron" Johnson is the senior United States Senator for Wisconsin and a member of the Republican Party. Prior to his election to the Senate, he was chief executive officer of PACUR, LLC, a polyester and plastics manufacturer.
Born: April 8, 1955 (age 61), Mankato, MN
Candidate for: United States Senator, WI

3) Coats (IN) Dan Coats, 16, 1943
4) Blunt (MO) Roy Blunt January 10, 1950 (age 66)
5) Burr (NC) Richard Burr, November 30, 1955 (age 60),
6) Toomey (PA) Patrick Joseph "Pat" Toomey (born November 17, 1961)
7) Ayotte (NH) Kelly Ayotte, June 27, 1968 (age 48)

Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid is the only Democratic seat likely to flip. Republicans have a strong candidate in Rep. Joe Heck, whose district covers southern Las Vegas and Henderson — a swing portion of the state.
Less vulnerable Republican positions are:
8) John McCain
9) Marco Rubio
October 14th, 2016 at 7:03:08 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I'm beginning to think they're not done yet. The next few weeks should be devastating for Trump.

Well, there is no question that there is more footage out there of Trump saying bad things. His campaign has practically admitted it.

But who has it? The Clinton campaign? Some journalist somewhere? I have a hard time believing that any journalist would sit on some potential election "game changer" without worrying that they'd get scooped by someone else.

I think if the Clinton campaign is sitting on anything - it will get released a day or two before the next debate on 10/19.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman