is Trump trying to lose?

October 11th, 2016 at 5:14:24 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: Pacomartin
I think to refer to that as a "conspiracy" is stretching the meaning of the word. Every candidate has someone they would prefer to run against.

Yes, I agree with you-- I was being sarcastic; there's no conspiracy. The emails released by Wikileaks simply showed that the Democrats viewed Trump, Cruz, & Carson as easier to beat in a general election than Kasich, Rubio, or Rand Paul. Not particularly scandalous or surprising.

That said, between 2002 and 2009 Trump made 7 donations to Hillary's Senate or Presidential campaigns. The man has been a Democrat most of his life. Every other politician has to pass a purity test with Rush Limbaugh to prove he's not a RINO, but for some reason Trump is exempt from having to prove his conservative bona fides.
October 11th, 2016 at 6:32:29 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: reno
That said, between 2002 and 2009 Trump made 7 donations to Hillary's Senate or Presidential campaigns. The man has been a Democrat most of his life. Every other politician has to pass a purity test with Rush Limbaugh to prove he's not a RINO, but for some reason Trump is exempt from having to prove his conservative bona fides.

I find both candidates contemptible.
October 12th, 2016 at 6:31:48 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
That said, between 2002 and 2009 Trump made 7 donations to Hillary's Senate or Presidential campaigns.

Maybe that's why he doesn't want to release his tax returns...

Did he ever give any money to W. Bush, McCain, Romney or Obama?

Quote:
Every other politician has to pass a purity test with Rush Limbaugh to prove he's not a RINO, but for some reason Trump is exempt from having to prove his conservative bona fides.

Oh, but Trump has proven that far better than any other GOP candidate in decades. He's openly a bigot, is he not? What more could anyone want to know?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 13th, 2016 at 1:58:07 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: Nareed
Oh, but Trump has proven that far better than any other GOP candidate in decades. He's openly a bigot, is he not? What more could anyone want to know?

Accepting the premise that he is a bigot, he is proof that there are bigots in both parties since he has been a member of both and it does not appear his stripes have changed over the years.

I know some think it convenient to think that all the "bad people" are in one party because it absolves one of any concern about your own favorite party...but it isn't true. There are "deplorables" on both sides, Hillary!
October 13th, 2016 at 6:57:56 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: RonC
Accepting the premise that he is a bigot, he is proof that there are bigots in both parties since he has been a member of both and it does not appear his stripes have changed over the years.

I know some think it convenient to think that all the "bad people" are in one party because it absolves one of any concern about your own favorite party...but it isn't true. There are "deplorables" on both sides, Hillary!

A "both sides are bad" post from RonC?

Shocking!

But no. There are many more deplorables on the right.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
October 13th, 2016 at 8:23:39 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: ams288
A "both sides are bad" post from RonC?

Shocking!

But no. There are many more deplorables on the right.

Only people under the spell of their respective party or political leaning believe that either side is chock full of good people only. Of course, since Hillary put the term "deplorable" into play, I am sure you are technically correct...she defined "deplorables" so she got to decide who is "deplorable"...but that doesn't mean diddly squat in real life.

You can keep living a life devoid of the reality of politics and our population and continue down the narrow little road of "They Republican, They Bad" type of thinking if you wish, but the total domination of our government by either party would be bad news. You'd have people like that fellow on the other board creating internment camps for anyone opposing their point of view.
October 13th, 2016 at 9:05:45 AM permalink
Nareed
Trump seems to have gone all Yoda on the campaign. "Lose or Lose not. There is no try." :)

IMO on present rends, he's now trying to wreck the GOP Congress for the next term. Other races not being fully under his control (unfair!), he cannot guarantee a massive loss there.
October 13th, 2016 at 10:07:29 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: RonC

I'm an atheist that believes in science
Which political party is appropriate for me?
I think the answer is easy
I think its deplorable to push religion on me. I support gay marriage.
I think its deplorable to ignore science and go with a fantasy instead. Global warming.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 13th, 2016 at 10:56:30 AM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: Pacomartin
I think it is going to go down in history as one of the most brilliant campaign maneuvers ever.

Some are arguing that a trap was set in the second debate as well: getting Trump to deny on camera that he had ever groped or sexually assaulted anyone. (Ben Shapiro's prediction at 8:40 Sunday night was eerily prescient.)

I'm a bit skeptical that the Clinton team could have maneuvered so many moving parts-- the timing of the Access Hollywood leak, Anderson Cooper's aggressive questioning, embargoing a story at the New York Times, People magazine, and the Palm Beach Post simultaneously. That's a lot to coordinate. My guess is that the Clintons got lucky: Trump set his own trap. He is a creep, after all.

Quote: Transcript
COOPER: Just for the record, though, are you saying that what you said on that bus 11 years ago that you did not actually kiss women without consent or grope women without consent?
TRUMP: I have great respect for women. Nobody has more respect for women than I do.
COOPER: So, for the record, you’re saying you never did that?
TRUMP: I’ve said things that, frankly, you hear these things I said. And I was embarrassed by it. But I have tremendous respect for women.
COOPER: Have you ever done those things?
TRUMP: And women have respect for me. And I will tell you: No, I have not.

I will say this much: in retrospect Trump's decision to trot out Clinton's accusers from 30 years ago (Juanita Broderick, Paula Jones, etc.) backfired spectacularly.
October 13th, 2016 at 11:12:08 AM permalink
Nareed
I will say this much: in retrospect Trump's decision to trot out Clinton's accusers from 30 years ago (Juanita Broderick, Paula Jones, etc.) backfired spectacularly.

Yesterday on CNN some Trump flunky (campaign manager? whatever) kept trying to change he subject to something like "Hillary Clinton did this or that to women involved with her husband," as though that would help the Orange Man.

What they don't see is what they're saying is something like "Hillary Clinton was pissed off at the women who slept with her husband and didn't treat them well." Shocker, isn't it, that a wife might despise the women her husband cheat on her with?

What also fails is comparing a few concrete instances involving Clinton, with a general attitude of Trump's.

I wonder if there is time for him to sue the NYT for defamation, and for the suit to be summarily dismissed before the election. Probably not.