Tires

Page 4 of 10<1234567>Last »
January 28th, 2019 at 2:11:12 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Been watching a lot of this guys videos. One of the reasons I went with the Ford 150
A lot of good advice from a long time mechanic

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 28th, 2019 at 5:23:08 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: AZDuffman
Shouldn't make a difference as the sensors measure psi not weight.

If you squeeze a balloon, there's the same amount of air but less volume for it to exist in. Doesn't that increase the pressure?

@Terps, damnable contraptions, the lot of them. Maybe it's NY roads and weather, but every gf I've had claims low pressure lights, and maybe one time in 20 is there an actual low pressure situation.

I suppose it's helpful in that you'll always be checking, but spend $5 on a regular ol gauge and toss it in the glove box.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
January 28th, 2019 at 5:26:45 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Face
I suppose it's helpful in that you'll always be checking, but spend $5 on a regular ol gauge and toss it in the glove box.

Next thing, you'll be suggesting people check the liquid level in their batteries. lol
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 28th, 2019 at 6:06:29 PM permalink
terapined

@Terps, damnable contraptions, the lot of them. Maybe it's NY roads and weather, but every gf I've had claims low pressure lights, and maybe one time in 20 is there an actual low pressure situation.

I generally walk around my car when I get gas just visually checking the tires.

If I am pulling the camper, I manually check all the tires with a digital gauge. Especially the camper tires and the spare camper tire. They make them real cheap. I've blown 2 tires pulling my camper. The tires are small and get pretty hot due to the high rotation rate due to small size. Every time I have to replace one, they take one look and are not sure they can find my size but eventually they do. No brand choice, just fortunate they have my size at the main warehouse. Its a 2005 Fleetwood Timberlake popup that I tow.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 28th, 2019 at 9:21:51 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: terapined
I generally walk around my car when I get gas just visually checking the tires.

If I am pulling the camper, I manually check all the tires with a digital gauge. Especially the camper tires and the spare camper tire. They make them real cheap. I've blown 2 tires pulling my camper. The tires are small and get pretty hot due to the high rotation rate due to small size. Every time I have to replace one, they take one look and are not sure they can find my size but eventually they do. No brand choice, just fortunate they have my size at the main warehouse. Its a 2005 Fleetwood Timberlake popup that I tow.
Do you have "bearing buddy's"?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 29th, 2019 at 2:27:05 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
If you squeeze a balloon, there's the same amount of air but less volume for it to exist in. Doesn't that increase the pressure?

The volume in the balloon is the same, the size of the balloon has changed, just the shape has changed.

More weight on axle means the sidewalls might bulge, but the bead is still on the wheel. Less tall, more wide. Same tire.

If there is any change I doubt it would be enough to even register.
The President is a fink.
January 29th, 2019 at 4:34:04 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
The pressure inside the tire does change with changing weight, but it is barely measurable within the allowed operating weight range of the car.

There are several webpages explaining it.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 29th, 2019 at 4:34:08 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: petroglyph
Do you have "bearing buddy's"?

What are "bearing buddy's"
January 29th, 2019 at 5:16:31 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Quote: DRich
I believe the sensor is in the hub, not the tire. If you are just replacing the rubber you should be fine.

The sensor is actually part of the valve stem (in cars that don’t use rotational velocity).

January 29th, 2019 at 5:35:26 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Dalex64
The pressure inside the tire does change with changing weight, but it is barely measurable within the allowed operating weight range of the car.

There are several webpages explaining it.

The way to check is check the pressure with the tire off the car then on. I've never seen a difference and that is what I am talking about.
The President is a fink.
Page 4 of 10<1234567>Last »