Tires

Page 1 of 101234>Last »
May 23rd, 2016 at 7:38:30 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
My five-year old Corolla has, coincidentally, five-year old tires. Today one of them blew and needs to be replaced.

Should I replace the other four as well? Or can they wait a while?

There's no question if I replace them all I'll wait a few months for cash flow considerations. But above for "a while" I meant at least another year or two.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
May 23rd, 2016 at 8:04:21 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Beats me, but if you fail to pay attention to proper inflation of tires, they will wear faster than if properly inflated. One of the cheapest ways to make tires last is to buy one of those 32 inch tire gauges that allow you to check the pressure without stooping or squatting.
May 23rd, 2016 at 8:06:14 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
You forgot a very important consideration. How any miles on them and how much tread depth is left?

They always recommend that you change them all but if you are not going to, I recommend you buy a used tire for the blown one and then buy four new tires when you can.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
May 23rd, 2016 at 8:11:35 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: DRich
You forgot a very important consideration. How any miles on them and how much tread depth is left?

No idea on the miles. I know here to look, but I haven't looked yet.

The thread depth is worn, naturally, but not eroded too much yet. They work well enough in wet pavement, which is after all the whole purpose of threading.

Thanks!
May 23rd, 2016 at 11:51:24 AM permalink
Nareed
About 56,000 kilometers. 35,000 miles.
May 23rd, 2016 at 12:26:23 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Not sure what the requirements are in Mexico, but in the US there is a manufacture date on the tires. This is important as well.

Even buying tires new, they could have been manufactured years before. The age of the tire and what kind of conditions it has been under can factor into it.

Yeah, and proper inflation figures big time if you don't keep the inflation pressure up.

Not saying what you should do but other things to consider.

Quote:
In February 2008, the owner of a 1998 Ford Explorer in Georgia needed a new tire for his SUV and ended up buying a used one. When he was driving two weeks later, the tread suddenly separated from the tire. The Explorer went out of control and hit a motorcycle, killing its rider. An analysis of the used tire revealed that it was nearly 10 years old

More recently, an investigation into the cause of the accident that killed the actor Paul Walker revealed that the Porsche Carrera GT in which he was riding had nine-year-old tires. The California Highway Patrol noted that the tires' age might have compromised their drivability and handling characteristics, according to the Los Angeles Times.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/how-old-and-dangerous-are-your-tires.html
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 23rd, 2016 at 12:49:35 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Nareed
My five-year old Corolla has, coincidentally, five-year old tires. Today one of them blew and needs to be replaced.
What blew? Was it the side wall or the tread?

Like was said, laws are being passed here nation wide that bars tire shops from working on 6 year old tires. The quality has sunk to low lows. My truck up north has tires at least 10-15 years old, no problem.

Do you park in the sun? I have just installed my 4th set of 10ply radials on my truck in 65k miles. If you have the ability to let the air out of your tire and refill it, let the air out and look at the side walls. Any cracks become evident when they collapse a little. If they are weather checked, look for new tires immediately. If not, how fast do you usually drive and how much to you dislike changing flats? A blow out, especially in the rear, hasn't been dangerous for me, just pull over and change. The front tires blowing, are worse than the rears.

If the blow out was through the tread, it might just have been road hazard? How are your roads, : ).
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
May 23rd, 2016 at 1:23:42 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: rxwine
Not sure what the requirements are in Mexico, but in the US there is a manufacture date on the tires.

No idea.

Quote:
This is important as well.

No idea as well :)

Quote:
Yeah, and proper inflation figures big time if you don't keep the inflation pressure up.

Always. The Corolla has a low tire indicator. I check the pressure every time I fill up (abt once a week), or sooner if the indicator lights up.

I got the new tire already, at Costco. They sell the tires and do the installation as well. For the money they took from me, it had better be a good tire. I'll shop around for the other three.
May 23rd, 2016 at 1:28:03 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: petroglyph
What blew? Was it the side wall or the tread?

It was about on both. It would inflate, but you'd hear the air going out a tad slower than it was coming in.

The mechanic at Costco said it wasn't worth fixing. I believed him because they charge like $6 to fix tires and expect to get tipped.

Like was said, laws are being passed here nation wide that bars tire shops from working on 6 year old tires. The quality has sunk to low lows. My truck up north has tires at least 10-15 years old, no problem.

Quote:
Do you park in the sun?

Never. It's 150 million kilometers away. have you any idea how long it takes to walk back from there??

I do, however, park in direct sunlight all the time.

Quote:
If the blow out was through the tread, it might just have been road hazard? How are your roads, : ).

Convinced, as I am, that the city doesn't fill in potholes, they just move them around.
May 23rd, 2016 at 1:41:56 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I'm not an expert, but I think you're okay to just get the one new tire. I think there are some minor risks to having wheels with unevenly worn tires, but I've driven that way my whole life.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
Page 1 of 101234>Last »