Where is FrG?

Page 2 of 27<12345>Last »
January 5th, 2016 at 10:28:13 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
how profoundly Biblical the Catholic Church is. .

Avoid my brother in law, who's church is
in Canada. He says the Catholic Church
is profoundly non Biblical. His father is
also a Baptist minister and in the 60's
he railed against the 'godless Catholic
Church' in sermons all the time. He's
90 now and doesn't seem to care.
He just dismisses them with a wave
of his hand.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 5th, 2016 at 11:05:53 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
It is never too late to learn the truth. Just share with him the quotes I gave you or ask him to look in a concordance. I'm sure as a minister of the Gospel he cares very much about what it says and learning about his mistaken ideas of the Catholic Church. Don't deprive him of this chance to learn and repent at least of this mistaken idea about the Church's traditional and Biblical use of the title father.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 6th, 2016 at 12:14:15 AM permalink
Evenbob
It is never too late to learn the truth. Just share with him the quotes I gave you

You're joking. He made up his mind
about your church in the 50's. He's
as stubborn as you are, even more so.
His Jesus isn't your Jesus, his Mary isn't
your Mary, not by a long shot. He hated
JFK because he was was a Catholic, and
made no efforts to hide it. He says
your Church is run by the Devil, but he's
90, he doesn't know that's not PC..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 6th, 2016 at 5:14:13 AM permalink
FrGamble
Again I don't think you give him enough credit, but at least I take some solace in the fact that you now understand things a little better.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 6th, 2016 at 10:35:21 AM permalink
Evenbob
Again I don't think you give him enough credit, but at least I take some solace in the fact that you now understand things a little better.

So your Church is run by the devil?
What are you talking about. I don't
give him credit for anything. Before
he turned senile he was a loud mouthed
know-it-all. His word was the last word
in every conversation. Go against him
in a argument and he'd not speak to
you for 5 years. I avoided him as much
as possible, his kids were terrified of him
well into adulthood.
January 6th, 2016 at 10:56:10 AM permalink
FrGamble
Yeah, it sounds like he would be a difficult person to talk to about these things - you obviously would know much better than me. However I still take solace that at the very least you now understand a little better the Church's teaching of the issue of the title of "father".
January 6th, 2016 at 11:18:52 AM permalink
Evenbob
you now understand a little better the Church's teaching of the issue of the title of "father".

When did that happen, I missed it. The NT
says address no man as father, the only
father is god. And you can't point to the OT
because the NT erased the OT, even you have
admitted that. The Church chose to have
priests called father because to an uneducated
rube, a father was the ultimate authority figure
in their lives. Making a priest their substitute
parental dad was a brilliant move, it locks the
priest in their minds as somebody they have to
obey.
January 6th, 2016 at 1:17:49 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
The NT
says address no man as father, the only
father is god.

I think I pointed out to you the context and the addresses to this statement and the reason why Jesus used the example of not calling anyone Rabbi or Father. Please go back and read my earlier post.

Quote:
And you can't point to the OT
because the NT erased the OT, even you have
admitted that.

When did that happen? The quote to remember about the OT is that the NT is hidden in the OT and the OT is revealed in the NT. You can't have one without the other. The heresy of Marcionism addresses this issue.

Quote:
The Church chose to have
priests called father because to an uneducated
rube, a father was the ultimate authority figure
in their lives.

Not in the slightest. It is a Biblical term Jesus used to refer to Abraham and Paul uses for himself and others that lead Church communities.
January 6th, 2016 at 1:29:42 PM permalink
Evenbob

Not in the slightest. It is a Biblical term Jesus used to refer to Abraham and Paul uses for himself and others that lead Church communities.

So why are the Baptists and others dead set
against it. Why don't they see the 'truth' of
what you're saying and start addressing
ministers as father.

The real 'truth' is, you can make the NT say
anything you want it to say with the right amount
of spin on it. That's why there are 3000 versions
of Christianity and not just one. It's the foggiest
book on religion ever compiled. You cannot
read it without an interpreter, and there are
3000 different ones who will gladly help you out.
January 6th, 2016 at 1:44:48 PM permalink
FrGamble
You know there is a lot of misinformation out there and some of the Baptists have just been taught this without really looking at the other parts of Scripture that clearly point out the use of Father is a traditional term used by Christ and others for the first 1500 or more years of the Church.

You are proof that you can indeed make the Scriptures say anything you want and that is why you do need an authority, preferably the one who put the Scriptures together and the one that Jesus promised would receive the Holy Spirit, the same Spirit that inspired the Word of God in the first place to guide you. You are pointing out the sad reality that occurs once you break from the Church, everyone comes up with their own desired interpretation according to them without looking at the Bible as a whole along with the tradition and history of hermeneutics. You do know there was not always 3000 different versions and you also know that those 3000 versions agree with probably around 90% of everything.
Page 2 of 27<12345>Last »