Simple question?

Thread Rating:

January 24th, 2016 at 12:08:13 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Dalex64
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_atheism

"regarded the personality of atheists to be "less authoritarian and suggestible, less dogmatic, less prejudiced, more tolerant of others, law-abiding, compassionate, conscientious, and well educated. They are of high intelligence, and many are committed to the intellectual and scholarly life". "Secular group members tended to be... more open minded (e.g. more likely to consider new ideas) than members of religious groups."

Yup to all of it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 24th, 2016 at 5:12:44 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
http://rachelheldevans.com/blog/bible-clear

filing this under simple questions.

that website has quotes through the ages reflecting how society, at each point in time, used the bible to justify the rules and actions of society.

What I would like to point out is that the bible has not changed, the word of god has not changed, but people and society have changed, and have made it necessary to "reinterpret" the word of god and live by rules which are different than those in the examples of society given by the bible.

The rules that we live by now, and the changes from the rules that we lived by before, were made by all of us in society together, and laid down in accordance to what most of us consider to be moral and just behavior, despite what the bible "clearly" says on these various subjects.

This is one of the things I use for evidence when I claim that the rules of the bible, and the rules of any religion in general, of that time were made by men for other men, not by god.

We have changed the principles that we live by. They no longer agree with the words in the book, or the principles of society at various points in our own history. "universal truths" are just all that we still have in common with the principles of the past. they are the rules that we made that we all still agree with. some of them I would hope that we agree with forever, and think that we probably will.

some of them have got to go, though.

clinging to tradition can be just as bad for society as change.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 24th, 2016 at 5:50:50 PM permalink
Evenbob

We have changed the principles that we live by. They no longer agree with the words in the book, or the principles of society at various points in our own history

For instance, slavery was a very needed
part of society a couple thousand years ago,
for the owner and for the slaves. It was a way
of life understood by all, especially the totally
ignorant and uneducated, which was the bulk
of society. It was the grease that kept things
going, until it outlived it's usefulness.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 24th, 2016 at 9:44:57 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
I went back to where the digression began about what percentage of people throughout history believed or do believe there is a good and it was in response to Nareed's comment that "it is effingly obvious there is no God." This is certainly wrong because as I mentioned 99% of people or more throughout history have believed in some type of God or gods or great spirit or supreme being. Even when people deny the existence of a supreme being they recognize the supernatural. For example Evenbob believes in reincarnation and I think Nareed believes in a soul. We are religious beings by nature. Some on the forum seem to make science and by connection ourselves into a type of god that just needs time till we figure out all the mysteries of the universe.

At no time have I ever or am I now saying that because 99% of all human beings throughout history have believed in the supernatural are they correct. 99% of all people could be wrong. However, what this clearly shows is that is NOT effingly obvious that there is no God. And I do still think it is evidence that there is could be something to the idea of the supernatural. If say a couple billion people say they saw something then it is pretty good evidence (NOT proof) that there may be something.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 25th, 2016 at 5:30:14 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Are you saying it is against the rules of god to find the answers of the universe?

Are you saying that all of the people who believe or believed in something supernatural that isn't the christian/jewish/muslim god believe in something that is real?

It is against the teachings of those faiths that they believe(d) in something real. If a couple billion people think they saw something that isn't real, what does that say about using what they saw as evidence?

What I see is that a lot of people believe in something that they believed someone else saw and experienced, and was then written in a book, or on scrolls, or was passed down by word of mouth through the ages. Billions of people believe 3rd hand (at a minimum) that something happened to someone else.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 25th, 2016 at 6:31:01 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: FrGamble
This is certainly wrong because as I mentioned 99% of people or more throughout history have believed in some type of God or gods or great spirit or supreme being.

About the same number who thought the Earth was the center of the universe? That didn't turn out well.

Quote:
Even when people deny the existence of a supreme being they recognize the supernatural. For example Evenbob believes in reincarnation and I think Nareed believes in a soul.

I've no idea how many times already I've stated the soul is physical, finite and mortal. There is nothing supernatural about it.

Quote:
However, what this clearly shows is that is NOT effingly obvious that there is no God.

A math professor is lecturing his students. He covers half the blackboard in equations and says ""From this we can see it is obvious that," and proceeds to cover the other half of the board with equations. As he's writing the last ones, he suddenly stops and says "I think I made a mistake." he looks the board over, tracing each line of calculations and squiggles carefully. He pulls out a notepad and starts scribbling furiously. After collecting a pile of pages scribbled on both sides, he says "No, I was right. It is obvious."

The moral is: the truth of an idea doesn't depend on whether it's obvious or not.

Quote:
And I do still think it is evidence that there is could be something to the idea of the supernatural. If say a couple billion people say they saw something then it is pretty good evidence (NOT proof) that there may be something.

I don't think you'll claim 2 billion people have seen the one true god Seth.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 25th, 2016 at 8:56:29 AM permalink
FrGamble
Are you saying it is against the rules of god to find the answers of the universe?

Nope, pretty much the opposite. Because we know there is God then we can trust that the universe He created is pretty awesome and is consistent and orderly and can teach us stuff. God also gave us this amazing intellect unlike anything else in the universe and seems to be saying to us, "Go for it! Explore learn and go where no man ha gone before!"

Quote:
Are you saying that all of the people who believe or believed in something supernatural that isn't the christian/jewish/muslim god believe in something that is real?

Surely. The reality of God does not fit in any box, even the nice big Catholic one. God is constantly reaching out to people in strange and varied ways to lead them to the truth or at least point them in the right direction. These people are far more closer to the truth than those who with no evidence or reason decide there is absolutely no "something supernatural".

Quote:
If a couple billion people think they saw something that isn't real, what does that say about using what they saw as evidence?

Why would you even ask this question? If a couple of billion of people are wrong about something I think we have to first ask the question why? What was there about the evidence that led so many people to come to a conclusion that you obviously have proof that is not real or correct?

Quote:
What I see is that a lot of people believe in something that they believed someone else saw and experienced, and was then written in a book, or on scrolls, or was passed down by word of mouth through the ages. Billions of people believe 3rd hand (at a minimum) that something happened to someone else.

I don't think this third hand knowledge can explain the belief of individuals. If all I had was stories of other people's experiences of God and no personal experiences myself I would at best be able to say that other people have believed in God and it sounds pretty cool. Instead people who believe in God do so not because they have heard stories from someone else but because they have experience the divine, the supernatural, and ultimately the love of God intimately in their lives.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 25th, 2016 at 8:59:43 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Nareed
About the same number who thought the Earth was the center of the universe? That didn't turn out well.

Your mixing up your science with metaphysics again.

Quote:
I've no idea how many times already I've stated the soul is physical, finite and mortal. There is nothing supernatural about it.

Finite, mortal, and also unobservable and spiritual?

Quote:
The moral is: the truth of an idea doesn't depend on whether it's obvious or not.

Okay so are you saying that atheism is not "effingly obvious", because then I would agree.
January 25th, 2016 at 10:02:35 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Finite, mortal, and also unobservable and spiritual?

Yes.

Can you see it? Can you measure everything that goes into a thought, a personality, an interest, an act of creation? Does the death of Imhotep erase the Step Pyramid he designed? Does the death of Einstein erase the two theories of relativity he discovered? We've been through this before.

Quote:
Okay so are you saying that atheism is not "effingly obvious", because then I would agree.

I'm saying you're an atheist as regards Demeter, Athena, Ist, Thoth, Venus, Marduk, Amun, Nut (pronounced Noot), Fortuna, Hathor and all the other cool gods.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 25th, 2016 at 11:19:11 AM permalink
Evenbob
If all I had was stories of other people's experiences of God and no personal experiences myself.

But all these so called 'experiences' people
have with god always end up being next
to nothing coincidences that they think are
evidence of god interacting with them. Or
'feelings' they have that god is guiding them.
Cherry picking events and ignoring others
and giving god the credit.

Famous atheist and former evangelical minister
Dan Barker has said he thought he was having
a minute to minute personal experience with
Jesus for years and years, and it slowly occurred
to him that he was just talking to himself, guiding
himself. In the end he realized he was there was
no god and he wisely became an atheist.