Simple question?

Thread Rating:

January 24th, 2016 at 5:50:14 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: FrGamble
It is obvious and that is why only a microscopic sliver of humanity through the ages has denied the existence of God.

This is what you said. God with a capital G. Not God or gods or Great Spirit. The bible and the Jewish, Catholic, and Muslim faiths makes it clear that anyone worshiping any god or gods who is not God with a capital G is worshiping a false god who is not real, or is simply 'false' because it is not God with a capital G.

So I am saying that your statement that only a microscopic sliver of humanity through the ages has denied the existence of God with a capital G is false, depending on what you meant by a microscopic sliver of humanity. I guess I was assuming I knew what you meant when you said God with a capital G.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 24th, 2016 at 6:03:32 AM permalink
Dalex64
Quote: Nareed
About the same percentage at one time thought the Earth was the center of the universe, the stars could foretell the future, comets were omens, time is always constant, and much more that was plain wrong.

The existence of deities is just one more wrong belief which will wind up in the dustbin of history.

It is also "Argumentum ad populum" - Aka appeal to the people,
Quote: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum
appeal to the masses, appeal to belief, appeal to the majority, appeal to democracy, appeal to popularity, argument by consensus, consensus fallacy, authority of the many, and bandwagon fallacy (also known as a vox populi), and in Latin as argumentum ad numerum ("appeal to the number"), and consensus gentium
again.
Quote:
In argumentation theory, an argumentum ad populum (Latin for "appeal to the people") is a fallacious argument that concludes that a proposition is true because many or most people believe it: "If many believe so, it is so."
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 24th, 2016 at 6:41:05 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Dalex64
It is also "Argumentum ad populum" - Aka appeal to the people, again.

I like stating it as "truth is not a popularity contest."
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 24th, 2016 at 7:56:32 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote:
is a fallacious argument that concludes that a proposition is true because
many or most people believe it: "If many believe so, it is so."

FrG used this argument a lot when we
first started talking. "Can a billion
Christians all be wrong" and variations
of it. He still sneaks it in with the 'sliver'
comment. He's obviously convinced
that if the mob believes something, it
must be right and he should believe
it too. Zero tolerance for original
thinking in his closed in world.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 24th, 2016 at 9:43:24 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Flag on the play, Hochuli with the call...

Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
January 24th, 2016 at 9:46:46 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: Dalex64
This is what you said. God with a capital G. Not God or gods or Great Spirit. The bible and the Jewish, Catholic, and Muslim faiths makes it clear that anyone worshiping any god or gods who is not God with a capital G is worshiping a false god who is not real, or is simply 'false' because it is not God with a capital G.

So I am saying that your statement that only a microscopic sliver of humanity through the ages has denied the existence of God with a capital G is false, depending on what you meant by a microscopic sliver of humanity. I guess I was assuming I knew what you meant when you said God with a capital G.

Not to mention the millions of non-believers killed for not believing in the Religion-O-The-Day. A little hard to be fruitful and multiply beyond "a sliver" when you're a Godless Infidel and it's open season.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
January 24th, 2016 at 10:22:49 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: beachbumbabs
Not to mention the millions of non-believers killed for not believing in the Religion-O-The-Day. A little hard to be fruitful and multiply beyond "a sliver" when you're a Godless Infidel and it's open season.
I'm sure even some of the yes votes were faking it.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 24th, 2016 at 11:35:35 AM permalink
Dalex64
http://www.christianpost.com/news/barnas-2015-state-of-atheism-report-finds-one-in-four-americans-dont-believe-god-exists-136327/

you can see from the link the headline claims that 25% of americans don't believe got exists, but that number is not so clearly expressed in the story, and one of the first thing the story says is the study focused on people who hadn't attended church in over 6 months.

Also, the website is heavy on popus and simultaneous playing videos, so be warned. Not very christian of christianpost.com.

they present a lot of stats on what sorts of people (category) believe in (or not believe in) what sorts of things. It repeats the very low self-reported athiest number of 2-3%, which is of course contradictory with the headline.
January 24th, 2016 at 11:43:21 AM permalink
Dalex64
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_atheism

20% of europeans believe in any sort of spirit, God, or life force.

90% of americans said yes when asked "Do you believe in god?"

in malta, if you add up the percent of people who believe in god and the percent who believe in some sort of spirit or life force, you get... 98%. This is the highest level of belief in europe.
January 24th, 2016 at 11:49:42 AM permalink
Dalex64
for everyone's enjoyment, quotes about evidence: http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/evidence