Neo-monophysitism

December 21st, 2015 at 9:03:58 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Nareed
Consequences Jehovah set up.

Look, in a universe made up of impersonal matter and forces, there are natural consequences to everything. But these are also impersonal, not directed or aimed at a set moral system. Yet if a deity did create the whole universe, then it also set up things so that the consequences fit a moral system, Therefore a number of things set your god off and he deals with them at his whim.

I think I understand what you are saying. Haven't we seen for a very long time that these so called impersonal and natural forces are directed or aimed at something, whether it is harmony, peace, or evolution to become more adaptable to the environment. I think natural laws teach us about our world and about ourselves and you are right there are consequences that are not at a whim, but very well known and predictable.

Quote:
According to the book of Job, a loving parent would say "Where were you when I spent 12 years earning my degree? What do you know of my profession and how hard I work to feed you, you ungrateful brat?"

Something like that but a lot more loving.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 21st, 2015 at 9:28:04 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: FrGamble
Haven't we seen for a very long time that these so called impersonal and natural forces are directed or aimed at something, whether it is harmony, peace, or evolution to become more adaptable to the environment.

We've seen nothing like that.

You like to say it's so, but your preferences don't make it so.

Quote:
Something like that but a lot more loving.

I expected a rather strong denial.

What's loving about ignoring someone's concerns and making them feel like crap?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 21st, 2015 at 9:52:53 AM permalink
FrGamble

What's loving about ignoring someone's concerns and making them feel like crap?

I don't know if the purpose is to make someone feel like crap, but it is important that children respect what good parents have done for them in regards to their food, shelter, clothing, upbringing, care, and love.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 21st, 2015 at 9:58:45 AM permalink
Nareed
I don't know if the purpose is to make someone feel like crap, but it is important that children respect what good parents have done for them in regards to their food, shelter, clothing, upbringing, care, and love.

If you were a parent and your child came crying they were being bullied, you'd lecture them on how much you work to support them?

What is wrong with you?
December 21st, 2015 at 10:41:35 AM permalink
FrGamble
Of course not. I don't know what you are saying anymore. If they are being bullied you take care of that problem for sure. I thought you were saying if the child is not recognizing or respecting all that you have done and continue to do for them, even when they are going through their difficulties.
December 21st, 2015 at 10:50:16 AM permalink
Nareed
Of course not. I don't know what you are saying anymore.

We're talking about the book of Job.

Quote:
If they are being bullied you take care of that problem for sure. I thought you were saying if the child is not recognizing or respecting all that you have done and continue to do for them, even when they are going through their difficulties.

Well, Job was being bullied by Jehovah and Satan. When he asked why, Jehovah made him feel small and insignificant, and offered not a micro-milligram worth of sympathy or support. I still fail to see what's "loving" in Jehovah's response to Job's pleas, especially as the soi-disant god ought to be apologizing to Job and begging Job's forgiveness.
December 21st, 2015 at 11:46:28 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
That you're even discussing Job is ridiculous.
God and the devil are hanging out one day
and discussing a human? It's a child's story,
they say it's probably the oldest story in the
Bible.

It's a story about man's obsession with himself.
He thinks he's so important that two extremely
powerful beings sit around worrying about him.
The ego, the hubris humans have about themselves.
They have to invent supernatural beings who
fuss over them, so they can feel important.

That's what the Yahweh religions have done.
They invent the god, then make themselves
the most important thing in the gods universe.
It's pure worship of the self, nothing more.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 21st, 2015 at 1:36:43 PM permalink
FrGamble
We're talking about the book of Job.

Well, Job was being bullied by Jehovah and Satan. When he asked why, Jehovah made him feel small and insignificant, and offered not a micro-milligram worth of sympathy or support. I still fail to see what's "loving" in Jehovah's response to Job's pleas,

God helps Job to see that he cannot understands the depth of the mysteries of life. Ultimately we are in the same boat. We only comprehend so little about life. By God speaking to Job He is lovingly showing Him that even though he is dust and only a small part of creation He is surprisingly loved and cared for. This is all Job needs to hear and all he can understand. The facts are that there is a God and Job is not God. The other truth in the book of Job is that even when we don't understand why we face hardships and suffering it does not mean that God is not still caring for us, loving us, and that our suffering is never final and without hope. God always makes things right in the end.
December 21st, 2015 at 1:40:31 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob

It's a story about man's obsession with himself.
He thinks he's so important that two extremely
powerful beings sit around worrying about him.

Job has no idea that God or Satan are concerned about him for very different reasons. The end of the story of Job shows pretty clearly, as Nareed has pointed out, that YHWH shows Job that He is not the most important thing in the universe. He pretty clearly debunks any hubris in Job and puts him in his place. Yet at the same time God shows His deep love for Job.
December 21st, 2015 at 1:57:47 PM permalink
Nareed
God helps Job to see that he cannot understands the depth of the mysteries of life.

If you were responsible for action A and I asked you about it, telling me I'm nothing compared to you is not helpful at all.

Quote:
By God speaking to Job He is lovingly showing Him that even though he is dust and only a small part of creation He is surprisingly loved and cared for.

"You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means."