Did you ever notice?

November 19th, 2015 at 8:41:58 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: boymimbo
Fr, your religion is far from perfect and it, in my opinion, is not ordained from God, though it does come down through ancient tradition. Most protestants feel, for example that the translations, rituals, and routines that Catholics set up are not biblically based. The act of confessing to a priest, for example. The transformation of grape juice and cracker to blood and body of Christ, the existence of purgatory, the meaning of Mary, things that you strongly believe in but I do not. We can talk about how the 15th century Catholics treated dissenters such as Hus (executed) and Wycliffe (exhumed and burned after death). We can talk about the sale of indulgences, the Pope Alexander's fathering of many children. Because of this corruption and the creation of the Gutenberg press, Protestants were able to break away. By wrongfully accusing the Catholic church and its corruptness as being associated with the antichrist combined with the belief of salvation through faith alone, the Protestant church was allowed to be created and thrive, despite the Inquisition and 30 years War.

So my response to you, FrGamble, is that protestants came about because of an abuse of power by the popes of the time, and rightfully so. How can you possibly expect the Christian faith to "be one" when you had the popes of the time practice completely unbiblical practices. Even today, you have practices of hiding sexual abuse and other corruption which are not Christian practices but were covered up by the Catholic leadership of the day.

This is why there are flavors of Christianity: there had to be alternatives to the apparent corruption of the 15th century Catholic popes, a path to heaven that did not rely on the Catholic practices and beliefs. For me, that simple belief is that spoken of Him in John 3:16. All Christians hold that true. The difference between Christian faiths are not meaningful to God because it all comes down to that verse and what is in our hearts.

Good post and I agree that the protestant reformation came about because of the corruption of the Church leadership, pride, and evil practices such as the selling of indulgences. So what happens when the Popes are not contrary witnesses to the Gospel and the evil practices of those days have been driven away from the Church? What remains to separate us is the Eucharist, Purgatory, confession, and the role of Mary. I think if you look at these things you will find that not only are they Biblical, but they were consistently believed and practiced in Christianity from the beginning. I know we don't want to say that the early disciples of Jesus got it wrong from the beginning and it took Martin Luther, who did not want to start his own Church, to get us back to what Jesus always wanted us to believe but those closest to Him got it wrong as soon as He ascended to the Father.

I don't think we want to say Catholicism is wrong because of the mistakes of many of its members at a time of great corruption all over Europe. After all these are human beings, who were great sinners. It seems to me that for Protestantism to make sense it must rather address why and how the great Church fathers, the early disciples of Jesus, and some of the greatest saints in our shared history got it so wrong for 1500 years.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 19th, 2015 at 8:53:47 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
delete
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 19th, 2015 at 9:27:06 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
why and how the great Church fathers, the early disciples of Jesus, and some of the greatest saints in our shared history got it so wrong for 1500 years.

Better to ask, what did they get right.
So a bunch of superstitious nonsense
made it 1500 years, you act like that's
an accomplishment. It's never occurs
to you that it's all just a lot of urban
legends, that's why there are so
many interpretations of it. It only
lasted 1500 years intact because
the Church made the punishment
so harsh for heretics that nobody
dared question anything. Ah, you
sigh, the good old days.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 20th, 2015 at 5:01:39 AM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
Good post and I agree that the protestant reformation came about because of the corruption of the Church leadership, pride, and evil practices such as the selling of indulgences. So what happens when the Popes are not contrary witnesses to the Gospel and the evil practices of those days have been driven away from the Church? What remains to separate us is the Eucharist, Purgatory, confession, and the role of Mary. I think if you look at these things you will find that not only are they Biblical, but they were consistently believed and practiced in Christianity from the beginning. I know we don't want to say that the early disciples of Jesus got it wrong from the beginning and it took Martin Luther, who did not want to start his own Church, to get us back to what Jesus always wanted us to believe but those closest to Him got it wrong as soon as He ascended to the Father.

I don't think we want to say Catholicism is wrong because of the mistakes of many of its members at a time of great corruption all over Europe. After all these are human beings, who were great sinners. It seems to me that for Protestantism to make sense it must rather address why and how the great Church fathers, the early disciples of Jesus, and some of the greatest saints in our shared history got it so wrong for 1500 years.

I think you answered your own question, padre. The approach of having that absolute power (before the printing press) had the gradual effect of corrupting the church as generation after generation passed and the men in power turned some passages of the bible into their own personal gain.

The ability to have access to Heaven via God's grace alone allowed people to have a personal relationship to God without the reliance on the Catholic hierarchy having to be layered in to that access. Now you may say to yourself, "a relationship to God shouldn't be easy", but the problem with relying on a Catholic hierarchy and its belief is that they rely on a leadership that history shows to be not infallible. I think you see alot of people turning back to the Catholic church because of Francis' liberalish ways.

My relationship to God isn't perfect either, but it's personal and between me and Him, and for a true Christian of any faith, being a Christian is never easy.
November 20th, 2015 at 5:02:12 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
What question is not allowed to be asked? All questions are important, it is how we discover the truth.

When "have faith" is given as the answer to a question about how or why something happens, it means "stop asking questions"

You aren't allowed to question that Jesus was the son of god, that your god created the universe, that the catholic version of religion is the true one and all others are shadows or from the unrevealed times.

There are many things like this that the church does not want questioned, because they believe they are right, and don't want that to change. They don't want the next big religion to say that catholocism just didn't have all of the truth revealed to them yet. They are convinced that they have the final version of the truth.

Something you said recently hit me as a "stop asking questions" sort of answer, but I couldn't find it.

There are many things that the church doesn't want you to question.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
November 20th, 2015 at 8:29:57 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Dalex64
You aren't allowed to question that Jesus was the son of god, that your god created the universe, that the catholic version of religion is the true one and all others are shadows or from the unrevealed times.

Those who questioned or, worse, believed Jesus to be human, or Jesus to be god, but not both, were not treated by the early church in a way we'd considered civilized. They found relief from prosecution only when Muslims conquered Egypt, Persia and Mesopotamia.

In effect, Christianity enjoyed a greater measure of religious freedom under Muslim rule rather than under Christian rule.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 20th, 2015 at 10:22:42 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: boymimbo

The ability to have access to Heaven via God's grace alone allowed people to have a personal relationship to God without the reliance on the Catholic hierarchy having to be layered in to that access.

It should always be as you say and it is today. The Catholic Church was established by Jesus Himself to be a help not a hindrance to our personal relationship with Jesus Christ. The fact that sinful men thwarted its divine purpose at times does not mean that it is untrue or not universally for all.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 20th, 2015 at 10:28:42 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Dalex64
When "have faith" is given as the answer to a question about how or why something happens, it means "stop asking questions"

There are many things like this that the church does not want questioned, because they believe they are right, and don't want that to change. They don't want the next big religion to say that catholocism just didn't have all of the truth revealed to them yet. They are convinced that they have the final version of the truth.

Something you said recently hit me as a "stop asking questions" sort of answer, but I couldn't find it.

There are many things that the church doesn't want you to question.

You are totally underestimating my passion and desire for truth and to follow it wherever it leads. It was asking serious questions about all the things you mentioned that led me to the Catholic Church. If you check out the video I posted earlier about an atheist who became a Christian it talks about how when she began to truly ask questions she was led to God. When you are willing to ask the hard questions with a truly open mind and allow truth to speak it will inevitable led one to God, Christ, and the Church He established. The Church therefore encourages questions. One of, if not our greatest theologian, St. Thomas Aquinas took asking hard questions as the basis for his Summa Theologica. I greatly encourage you to read a little bit of it and see his method, it is all about asking if Jesus was the Son of God, If God created the universe, is the Catholic religion the one true Church. He goes so far as to not only ask the questions but even present the best arguments he can find against his position and then answer them.

You will NEVER find me saying, "stop asking questions" and there is no question the Church does not want us to ask.
November 20th, 2015 at 10:36:18 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Let me open by saying I've formally declared war on the Catholic church. This isn't personal.

You will NEVER find me saying, "stop asking questions" and there is no question the Church does not want us to ask.

Why has the church covered up child abuse committed by priests? What do you think Jesus would think about it if he were still alive?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 20th, 2015 at 11:33:47 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
When you are willing to ask the hard questions with a truly open mind and allow truth to speak it will inevitable led one to God,

Wrong again. You don't ask the hard questions,
you have to ask the right questions. Is there
evidence of gods existence. Is sin real. Those
are the only two questions you need. If you
think you see evidence for a god, and then
for sin, the rest is easy. If not, you need look
no further, move on to something else.

There are no hard questions, just logical ones.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.