Did you ever notice?

November 19th, 2015 at 6:49:42 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: rxwine
If belief in the TRUE god or religion is so obvious why is it people crossed oceans to corrupt and poison the minds of people who already had supernatural beliefs, either in gods, idols, nature or whatever?

If it is was so obvious people wouldn't need to be persuaded or even forced to abandon their own beliefs.

You should leave people alone if it is so obvious. This last point is irrefutable, at least if you believe people can come to obvious conclusions on their own.

Everyone believed in God on both sides of the ocean. The point of was to tell them of Jesus Christ who is the revelation of God who became one of us, died for us to set us free from our sin (and yes everyone believed in sin too). While simple logic will bring us to believe in God the gift of God's revelation in the person of Jesus Christ needs revelation and missionary work.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 19th, 2015 at 6:56:07 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
These people,
all having the same belief, WERE
fools and idiots. This shoots your
theory right out of the sky..

Not at all. Everyone used to believe the sun orbited the Earth until evidence became available to show us we were wrong. Not many people believe in witches and such anymore because there is not evidence to think such things. All I am saying is that mostly everyone believes in God until there is evidence to not believe in such. I'm still waiting for your evidence as to why you don't believe.

Quote:
There is zero evidence the universe hasn't
been here forever. You're making an
assumption, and setting your argument
around it. Quit doing that.

There is ample evidence that about 13.7 billion years ago the universe came into existence and is expanding. Besides that there is the fact that contingent matter cannot create itself. There is no assumption at all. It seems like you are the one making the assumption that the universe has been here forever without a beginning, stop doing that, it is silly.

Quote:
I never made a decision not to believe
in god, I just realized one day that I
didn't. No evidence, there was never
a decision to make. Not believing in
god is still not a decision, I don't believe
because the argument is a nonstarter.

Can you explain this a little bit?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 19th, 2015 at 6:57:23 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Dalex64
No problem with questioning things, except for the things that you aren't allowed to question.

No problem.

What question is not allowed to be asked? All questions are important, it is how we discover the truth.
November 19th, 2015 at 6:58:30 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: FrGamble
Everyone believed in God on both sides of the ocean.

Even the Bible mentions idol worship. Plus, voodoo, worship of nature, practice of human sacrifice for favors, polytheism, humans as gods (pharaohs). No people don't come to universal conclusions.

Disproved.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 19th, 2015 at 7:08:51 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: rxwine
Even the Bible mentions idol worship. Plus, voodoo, worship of nature, practice of human sacrifice for favors, polytheism, humans as gods (pharaohs). No people don't come to universal conclusions.

Disproved.

Surely it was an inadequate conception of God, but they did believe in "God" in their error filled ways. Again this is why we need revelation to take our universal raw conception of God and bring it into perfection.
November 19th, 2015 at 7:30:34 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Surely it was an inadequate conception of God, but they did believe in "God" in their error filled ways. Again this is why we need revelation to take our universal raw conception of God and bring it into perfection.

Might as well worship the moon and call it Catholicism.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 19th, 2015 at 7:49:34 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I'm still waiting for your evidence as to why you don't believe.

The source of my non belief is a
total lack of evidence.

Quote:
There is ample evidence that about 13.7 billion years ago the universe came into existence and is expanding.

The universe has been here forever in
one form or another. So what. You
and I have been here forever in one
form or another. Live with it.

Quote:
Can you explain this a little bit?

I never made a conscious decision not
to believe in lots of things. Unicorns,
fairies, cave trolls, Roman or Greek
gods, Bigfoot, on and on. You seem
to think a atheist weighs all the
'evidence' and makes a 'decision'
on god. There is no evidence, so
there is no decision to make on god
or cave trolls or Santa.

What's fascinating is people who are
high up in a religion, an evangelist
or a priest, and they slowly come to
the conclusion there is no god. The
work they have to go thru to see
all the lies and the illusions, just to
get to where atheists are already. It's
no wonder some them go the rest
of their lives pissed off at the religion
that duped them. My friend Ed, the
ex priest, says he's still embarrassed and
humiliated he actually believed all that
crap they taught him is seminary 60
years ago.

It starts to get interesting about 4min
into this video.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 19th, 2015 at 8:02:03 PM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
If I have to explain this again I am going to scream. Just because the overwhelming majority of people believe in something, like the existence of God, does NOT make it true. However, it is something that should be reasonably looked at and not just brushed aside as meaningless. You could conclude that they are all idiots or that people are gullible, but I think you would be hard pressed to have that much arrogance and hubris.

Also I find it interesting that as you pointed out in the midst of all these scientific advances the constant is our belief in God. The God of the gaps used to explain away the things you mention is gone and good riddance. The God of truth and love is alive and well and is only supported by the continuing discoveries of the world He has created.

It is a technically unprovable belief but it is not unreasonable, blind, or without credible evidence. For example you know the Bible is far and away the most attested to ancient document in existence. You do have to believe in it for sure but I hope and pray you don't do so without thinking about it.

I also am glad you do not discount other people's beliefs however you should challenge them. When you do you will find for example that Evenbob has some glaring holes in his belief system and that Catholicism does not. You will find that most of the discounting of the Catholic belief system is based on misunderstandings and errors about what we believe.

I have no quarrel with you fine sir and fellow brother Christian, however I must say herein lies my major problem with Protestants. If you notice closely you mention that your congregational leaders have their beliefs based on their interpretation of the Bible. They are in doing this making themselves the arbiter of what the Bible says based solely on their interpretation. Are they taking into account the historical interpretation of the Scriptures, the Church Fathers, the Tradition of Christianity? What about when they are uncomfortable with a text, do they ignore it, change it, or find a way to interpret it again to their own liking? You also admit that your beliefs may not appeal to other Christians and you are fine with that. Aren't we all supposed to be one? Why would God want us all believing in different things? Surely there will be different emphasis on certain teachings and different ways to worship but it is against the will of God who wants us all to be one (Catholic means universal) and believe the same fundamental truths.

Fr, your religion is far from perfect and it, in my opinion, is not ordained from God, though it does come down through ancient tradition. Most protestants feel, for example that the translations, rituals, and routines that Catholics set up are not biblically based. The act of confessing to a priest, for example. The transformation of grape juice and cracker to blood and body of Christ, the existence of purgatory, the meaning of Mary, things that you strongly believe in but I do not. We can talk about how the 15th century Catholics treated dissenters such as Hus (executed) and Wycliffe (exhumed and burned after death). We can talk about the sale of indulgences, the Pope Alexander's fathering of many children. Because of this corruption and the creation of the Gutenberg press, Protestants were able to break away. By wrongfully accusing the Catholic church and its corruptness as being associated with the antichrist combined with the belief of salvation through faith alone, the Protestant church was allowed to be created and thrive, despite the Inquisition and 30 years War.

So my response to you, FrGamble, is that protestants came about because of an abuse of power by the popes of the time, and rightfully so. How can you possibly expect the Christian faith to "be one" when you had the popes of the time practice completely unbiblical practices. Even today, you have practices of hiding sexual abuse and other corruption which are not Christian practices but were covered up by the Catholic leadership of the day.

This is why there are flavors of Christianity: there had to be alternatives to the apparent corruption of the 15th century Catholic popes, a path to heaven that did not rely on the Catholic practices and beliefs. For me, that simple belief is that spoken of Him in John 3:16. All Christians hold that true. The difference between Christian faiths are not meaningful to God because it all comes down to that verse and what is in our hearts.
November 19th, 2015 at 8:29:08 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
The universe has been here forever in
one form or another.

Why do you say this? What evidence do you have?

Quote:
You seem
to think a atheist weighs all the
'evidence' and makes a 'decision'
on god.

I think and hope that most atheists do weigh the evidence and make a decision, at least the ones I respect. It is painfully obvious you do not. I really think before you make any decision to believe or not believe in something you should weigh the arguments and look into it so you can make an informed decision. I imagine you do this in lots of areas, like who you plan to vote for and when you ask someone to marry you. Why don't you do it when we discuss the existence of God?

Quote:
What's fascinating is people who are
high up in a religion, an evangelist
or a priest, and they slowly come to
the conclusion there is no god.

I think it is equally fascinating when atheists slowly come to the conclusion there is a God.

November 19th, 2015 at 8:32:18 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: boymimbo

So my response to you, FrGamble, is that protestants came about because of an abuse of power by the popes of the time, and rightfully so..

The biggest abuse was keeping the whole NT
out of the hands of ordinary people. Even
you average priest running a church in an
average town only knew the parts of the NT
the Church let him memorize. Wycliffe was
constantly amazed at how ignorant the
average priest was about scripture. All they
knew were the parts the Church wanted them
to know. Insidious behavior, to say the least.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.