Quote: Evenbob
I mean the tiny box of understanding that
all religions create. The outside world has
to be molded and changed to fit in the
tiny box. When the world was an ignorant
place, it was easy. But science has made
it impossible to ignore that most religions
are superstitious nonsense.

The superstitious nonsense that you talk about is simply faith, humbug. Science has likely debunked the world was created in six days and really you could probably discount most of the timelines and stories from Adam to the end of Deuteronomy.

However one cannot ignore the historical facts in the bible that are collaborated from the time of David (who existed) to the end of the New Testament. This history has been collaborated in other texts from other cultures and in the dead sea scrolls found in the last century.

For Christianity, it is simply the belief that Jesus died for our sins and was resurrected. That God is the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. And if you can believe in that, then you can believe in most of the other tales told in the new Testament, of the multiplying of food, the healings, the exorcism of demons, the resurrection of Lazarus and others.

For Christians, I don't see any physical evidence that our lives our any better quality or quantitatively than non-Christian or atheists. It is simply faith that guides us, that comforts us, and leads us to a heaven that we believe in yet have no evidence of.
November 17th, 2015 at 7:03:43 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: boymimbo
For Christians, I don't see any physical evidence that our lives our any better quality or quantitatively than non-Christian or atheists. It is simply faith that guides us, that comforts us,

One of the best descriptions of the
religion I've ever seen. It makes
you feel good, so you do it.

Mark Twain was an atheist and
he said pretty much the same thing.
Christianity gives people something
to 'fiddle with' here on earth, to
give them hope and make them feel
better. What does it matter that it's
pure bunkum, it works with some
people.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 17th, 2015 at 7:29:38 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Lots of historical facts in the bible have been corroborated. The miracles in the bible have not been corroborated.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
November 18th, 2015 at 4:22:18 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Evenbob
One of the best descriptions of the
religion I've ever seen. It makes
you feel good, so you do it.

boymimbo you should feel very uneasy about getting such high praise from Evenbob. Religion is the truth that is why "you do it". Not because it makes you feel good or is popular or is fun - it is all these things - but that is a direct result of it being the truth. There are other parts of religion that are hard and challenging that force you to remind yourself that the world is not about you, that you are not God and the judge of what is right and wrong. There are parts of religion that are mystery and above and beyond us. Christianity, specifically Catholicism, is true and that no matter what your emotions or fleeting feelings might tell you is the real reason to follow it.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 18th, 2015 at 4:45:36 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: FrGamble
There are parts of religion that are mystery

Actually, it's almost like hearing people talk about the Tolkien "Lord of the Rings" trilogy, or "Star War" Epic, and taking them far too seriously.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 18th, 2015 at 4:48:09 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: boymimbo
For Christianity, it is simply the belief that Jesus died for our sins and was resurrected.

I really, really fail to understand that idea.

See, suppose I'm having a rough time and you tell me something like "I faced something like that once. I felt terrible, I felt depressed, I kept eating too much, not getting enough sleep, but I got through it," just as an example, that would help in many ways. If instead you were to shoot yourself for my bad times, I'd think you're either criminally malicious or just plain crazy.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 18th, 2015 at 5:28:57 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: rxwine
Actually, it's almost like hearing people talk about the Tolkien "Lord of the Rings" trilogy, or "Star War" Epic, and taking them far too seriously.

You left out Star Trek.

Just for that, you'll spend eternity trapped in a malfunctioning holodeck :)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 18th, 2015 at 5:42:22 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
Religion is the truth that is why "you do it".

Once again, you don't get it. There are
3000+ variations of Christianity. There
are scores of major and non major
religions. They can't all be the truth,
so you're obviously wrong.

People go along with a specific religion
for many reasons, the truth can never
be one of them. Just the fact that there
are so many religions, and so many past
religions, shows the truth has nothing to
do with any of it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 18th, 2015 at 6:43:33 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: Nareed
You left out Star Trek.

Just for that, you'll spend eternity trapped in a malfunctioning holodeck :)

Such is my fate. "Just so it's not snakes. I hate snakes." *Indiana Jones.

Here's an idea for you, Nareed. A story about a writer who uses a Holodeck to work out storylines. (of course misadventures occur)

-Now, back you regularly scheduled discussion.-
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 18th, 2015 at 7:04:37 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
The emperor has no clothes.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan