End of TV season (who gets axe)

Page 4 of 7<1234567>
May 12th, 2015 at 9:49:47 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Were there really 88 episodes of "Chico and the Man"? Whenever I happen to catch it, it seems like they are rotating the same five episodes.
May 12th, 2015 at 3:25:35 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Ayecarumba
Were there really 88 episodes of "Chico and the Man"? Whenever I happen to catch it, it seems like they are rotating the same five episodes.

Yes, but the last 26 episodes do not feature Freddie Prinze. Perhaps they leave those episodes out.

Out of the 57 NBC sitcoms on that list, 10 were mostly in Black and White, 5 were in the transition period from 1961 to 1978 (I Dream of Jeannie, Get Smart , Julia , Sanford and Son , and Chico and the Man). From 1978 to 1998 there are 36 sitcoms on the list (i.e. with an enough episodes to syndicate). Every year brought a new long lasting sitcom. After Will and Grace premiered in 1998 there were only another 6 sitcoms that reached syndication levels.

episodes - series - year premiered
182 Scrubs  2001
201 The Office  2005
96 My Name Is Earl  2005
138 30 Rock  2006
125 Parks and Recreation 2009
97 Community  2009

Since 2009 every sitcom has been cancelled before reaching very many episodes. Very few made it to a second year.
May 12th, 2015 at 4:42:35 PM permalink
boopsahoy
Threads: 1
Quote: Ayecarumba
I'm bummed that ABC cancelled "Forever". The "Highlander" meets "Quicy" crossover was fun and I enjoyed Alana De La Garza... Too bad.

My husband and I really liked Forever! Just when he was going to spill the beans its over! Very disappointed. They also cancelled The Following which was no where as good as last season this season. Not upset. They renewed iZombie which we also enjoy. Our favorite show, Supernatural, was renewed for its 11th season! As you can see we like horror and scifi kind of shows. Penny Dreadful is also pretty good.
May 12th, 2015 at 8:53:30 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: boopsahoy
They renewed iZombie which we also enjoy.

Very inventive show. I didn't think I would be able to say that aout a zombie show given the number of vampire and zombie shows out there. Last episode was very sad.
May 13th, 2015 at 6:35:56 AM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Quote: Evenbob
The show is beyond stupid. .....
It's on a par with Gilligans Island for plot
devices, but it's not funny, it's insulting.

Phil Miller was such a colossal d-bag, so unlikeable, I stopped watching after 5 episodes. Every episode he sank to a new low, while Carol started out annoying, but got more likeable as the series went on.

I watched all season of Madame Secretary which came on after 60 Minutes. Well written with brisk pacing similar to the old West Wing. Is it being renewed?
May 13th, 2015 at 8:21:31 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: zippyboy
I watched all season of Madame Secretary which came on after 60 Minutes. Well written with brisk pacing similar to the old West Wing. Is it being renewed?

CBS has the highest ratings and the most stable schedule of the Big four. Madame Secretary will be renewed.

Not returning from 2014–15:
The McCarthys, The Millers, Two and a Half Men - Three 30 minute shows
Battle Creek, The Mentalist, Stalker- Three 60 minute shows

New series:
Angel from Hell, Life in Pieces - Three 30 minute shows
Code Black, Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders, Limitless, Rush Hour, Supergirl - Five 60 minute shows

In contrast FOX ended five 60 minute shows and two 30 minute shows despite not having any programming at 10 PM
October 8th, 2015 at 8:01:03 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Network Renewed Predict Renew Predict Cancel
CBS
The Big Bang Theory Blue Bloods Battle Creek
Madam Secretary Criminal Minds CSI
Mike & Molly CSI: Cyber Hawaii Five-0
NCIS: New Orleans Elementary The McCarthys
Mom The Good Wife Stalker
Scorpion NCIS
2 Broke Girls NCIS: Los Angeles
The Odd Couple
Person Of Interest

Well it looks like CBS's gamble on (1)CSI: Cyber and (2)Hawaii Five-0 are not paying off. I think the writers of (3)"The Good Wife" understand that this 7th season will be their last. (4)NCIS: Los Angeles is also on it's 7th season and with ratings tumbling, they will probably give up the ghost there as well.

Program Status 18-49 rating
CSI: Cyber (O) 1.0
Hawaii Five-0 (Friday) (O) 1.05
NCIS: Los Angeles (O) 1.2
The Good Wife (O) 1.2
Blue Bloods (Friday) (O) 1.3
Madam Secretary (O) 1.4
Code Black (O) 1.5
NCIS: New Orleans (O) 1.7
Limitless (O) 1.9
Scorpion (O) 1.95
Criminal Minds (O) 2
Life in Pieces 2.25
NCIS (O) 2.35
The Big Bang Theory 4.25

CBS is pretty conservative, only cancelling 4 hour long dramas last year
Battle Creek
The Mentalist
Stalker
Under the Dome

Quote: zippyboy

Madame Secretary was renewed this year, and will probably be the cut off to be renewed next year. The viewership is relatively low, but it is a quality show, and the networks give a little.
October 9th, 2015 at 6:55:54 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
Well it looks like CBS's gamble on (1)CSI: Cyber and (2)Hawaii Five-0 are not paying off.

CSI Cyber is the kind of show they should have made instead of CSI Miami or CSI NY.

Of course, Patricia Arquette wasn't available then...

BTW now that Netflix, Amazon and soon others are all bringing out original programming, the business model is changing again.

Consider, a broadcast and/or cable show lives and dies by ratings. A streaming show does not. After all, the streaming service makes money from subscriptions, not from individual shows. So what determines whether a stream show continues or not?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 9th, 2015 at 9:41:11 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Nareed
BTW now that Netflix, Amazon and soon others are all bringing out original programming, the business model is changing again.

Too bad the vast majority of these shows
suck so badly. Good writing is very hard
to come by, no matter the venue. Reminds
me of the peak of movie making in the 40's.
Studios were churning out 2 films a week,
it was an assembly line. 98% of them sucked,
of course. It's just not easy to write quality
material, and it never will be.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 9th, 2015 at 11:37:36 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed

I'm still waiting for NFL to purchase Fox Network. They can squeeze in their one or two profitable nights of scripted shows around football games. Wouldn't that be a shock to Disney to lose MNF.
Page 4 of 7<1234567>