The constraints of being a Curmudgeon on health and welfare.

April 28th, 2017 at 6:37:39 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: petroglyph
Sounds like something they would hand out to soldiers.
Even Japanese civilians working in factories were given amphetamines to keep them going in the later part of WW2.

>I read recently an article about spec ops having a fondness for enhancing products.
Officially they have a fondness for dietary products that are enhancing to stamina, but I'm sure various other substances are indeed utilized for alertness and stamina. I don't know for sure though or how prevalent it is. Night exercises can get pretty tough.

>>>>"A mind sharpening anti-depressant" sounds great.
Particularly when it also suppresses appetite which is something I desperately need. The enhanced ability to focus on tasks would be great, but the appetite suppressant ability is vital for me.

Unfortunately, Medicare says 'no way'.
April 28th, 2017 at 7:41:05 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Fleastiff
the appetite suppressant ability is vital for me.

Unfortunately, Medicare says 'no way'.
Bummer, Flea. I lost so much weight last year, I was pretty desperate to put some back on. Now I kind of have that sling shot effect thing going on. Went right past my target weight and kept on sailing. I am not aging gracefully.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
May 13th, 2017 at 9:48:45 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Ok, engine wouldn't turn over, figured battery is dead. Fortunately this happened in my driveway and not at some shopping center where I''d be forced to go the tow truck routine. So I had to log onto Amazon and find the cheapest battery charger which is some made in China POS that charges at 1.5 amps per hour. Its been on for six hours straight... and its still just blinking at me instead of a steady light that indicates fully charged.

Its a toss up between letting it be as it is all night long (which risks a rainstorm casusing who knows what to happen with the extension cord, charging device and battery) or forcing myself to stay awake all night long to babysit the darned thing.

Anyone know how long it will take at 1.5 amps an hour? Its a device smaller than a dice bowl.

Its been real hard. No car means no trip to grocery store. Been out of milk, water, iced-tea for I can't remember how many days. Gotta get my podocytes stimulated but ain't got no curcimin to do it. Drank last bottle of pommegranate juice I had. My last resort is Aloe Vera juice but normally I'd dilute that with water at ratio of 50:50.

Was nice that Amazon came thru for me eventually but now that I have the device.... why is it taking forever to get the job done?
May 13th, 2017 at 10:49:14 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
How old is the battery Flea? I just fasten those things under the hood of my pick up and pretty much close the hood and leave it run.

Are you sure it isn't just loose terminals? That has happened more than once. Try twisting them, If they turn at all they are loose and probably corrosion between the terminal and the battery lug?

You did check to see how full the electrolite inside the battery is right? Probably should pop up the cell covers and let the battery breathe while charging? I hope you have jumper cables. This dead battery thing seems to always end up with a new battery, sooner or later.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
May 14th, 2017 at 1:45:59 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
1.5 is a joke. Mine is 12 amps, takes
24 hours to fully charge. Check
Craigslist for a used one, they
are everywhere. I still use the one
I got in the 80's all the time,
they never die.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 14th, 2017 at 4:58:54 AM permalink
Fleastiff
]How old is the battery Flea?
..... Beats me.

Are you sure it isn't just loose terminals?
........No. That false positive terminal does look a bit rusty.
Try twisting them,
.....Only thing I can twist is the truth.

You did check to see how full the electrolite inside the battery is right?
....No. Fust box sits atop the battery obscures it.
Probably should pop up the cell covers and let the battery breathe while charging?
....can't reach them.
I hope you have jumper cables.
.... don't got nuttin'.
This dead battery thing seems to always end up with a new battery, sooner or later.
.......Problem will be that trek to a battery place. Doubt Amazone ships batteries and if so only by slow land based transport all the way and then who is gonna install it anyway, some mobile mechanic that charges a fortune?
May 14th, 2017 at 6:31:50 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Some auto parts supply stores will install the battery for you.

If you can't get someone to jump-start your car, I am assuming that you were able to get to a place to buy that battery charger. You could go back and get a jump-starter. It should come fully charged, if not you can use the wall adapter that should come with it.

Use it to jump start your car then take your car to the auto parts store for a free battery and charging system test. Bring the jump starter with you in case for some reason you need to use it to get home.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
May 14th, 2017 at 8:18:57 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: Dalex64
I am assuming that you were able to get to a place to buy that battery charger.
NOPE. That is why I had to buy the "toy" battery charger on Amazon, they stuffed it into the mailbox in three or four days. It is still charging but not indicating full. I'll just keep it that way until my auto mechanic place opens on Monday morning. Then drive it to the mechanic and see if it re-starts on its own or not. I'll probably have to leave it there.

Might try instead to drive half way to the mechanics and stop at a grocery store but if it doesn't restart then it would be a tow charge.

Distances:

Grocery store: 6.3 miles
AutoParts store: 6.7 miles
Auto Mechanic: 12.0 miles but mechaic is slow and usually can't spare anyone to drive me home. However, its a hop, skip and a jump to an Old Fogey's Shot and Beer Bar with awful loud music but a sort of 'kitchen' serving salty bar food. Means I have to arrive at auto mechanic after noon though. Also means I'm a bit too sloshed to drive and total tab will run high.

Had I thought this thing through first, I'd not have purchased the 'toy' at all. Just paid the towing charges from here to mechanic.

Didn't even think until just now to check my GEICO policy about jump starts, particularly jump starts from home. Fool that I am. This might have all been over days ago and I wouldn't have had to eat two dollops of Nutella chocolate sauce for dinner last night.

Heck,,, its STILL just blinking and never getting to fully charged. I do not know if it will be sufficient to start but see no reason to try to start it until Monday morning when its 'start it or tow it' time. Starting it but not driving it to the mechanic is probably not wise but would certainly be cheapest.

I'll just have another two dollops of that Nutella chocolate sugar sauce for dinner again.
May 14th, 2017 at 10:34:00 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Well, with a 1.5 amp trickle/top-off charger, it is going to take a very long time, and depending on how bad the battery is, you might never be able to get enough juice in it for a start no matter how powerful the charger is.

It will cost you a lot less if the tow truck that comes out only has to jump your car instead of towing it.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
May 14th, 2017 at 11:45:27 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Geico doesn't use tow trucks to jump
cars. It's a guy in a regular sedan
that has a high amp unit and it takes
about 3 min and you're on the road.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.