The constraints of being a Curmudgeon on health and welfare.

February 11th, 2017 at 8:53:02 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
We have a firm rule in our family--don't just ask for antibiotics for every little thing and take the prescribed dose the entire time.

For example, too many parents want antibiotics every time Junior says that his ear hurts. That is the wrong approach. It may seem to "work" (because the kid recovers) but you really end up knowing whether or not antibiotics were necessary. It could have just cleared up without them.
February 11th, 2017 at 10:35:13 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: RonC

For example, too many parents want antibiotics every time Junior says that his ear hurts.

I avoid them unless I think I'm dying.
The new ones, like Cipro, from Bayer,
are very dangerous. Google 'Cipro
lawsuits' and there are thousands suing
Bayer for everything under the sun. There
are class action lawsuits. Ask your doctor
about Cipro, all he'll know is he gets
incentives to dole it out. I told him last
year that it's the most prescribed and
most sued med in the world. He knew
nothing about it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 11th, 2017 at 3:20:00 PM permalink
stinkingliberal
Threads: 17
Quote: RonC
We have a firm rule in our family--don't just ask for antibiotics for every little thing and take the prescribed dose the entire time.

For example, too many parents want antibiotics every time Junior says that his ear hurts. That is the wrong approach. It may seem to "work" (because the kid recovers) but you really end up knowing whether or not antibiotics were necessary. It could have just cleared up without them.

True enough, but I see a LOT of objections to antibiotics that are firmly grounded in pseudoscience. I also would ask, well, if you don't want to take antibiotics for an infection, what do you plan to do instead? Are you a medical professional and can truly say what's best for you or your child? I find it amazing that so many people extrapolate the fact that modern medicine doesn't have all the answers to mean that they should ignore it completely.

It's odd the way people think. I wouldn't ignore my mechanic (and common sense) by filling my car's crankcase with green tea instead of motor oil, and neither would anyone else, but those same people act as if the fact that a doctor has to go to school for eight years in order to practice means nothing and they should go with what they just read on the internet instead.

The way those parents react is understandable. They'd rather do too much than too little. Their default setting is surely to take the kid to the doctor rather than letting her sit there and scream in the knowledge that the ear infection will probably go away in a couple of days. Call it an overabundance of caution.
February 11th, 2017 at 4:43:10 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
February 12th, 2017 at 5:00:00 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: stinkingliberal
The way those parents react is understandable. They'd rather do too much than too little. Their default setting is surely to take the kid to the doctor rather than letting her sit there and scream in the knowledge that the ear infection will probably go away in a couple of days. Call it an overabundance of caution.

That is where the medical professional has to be the medical educator--going over different things that are indications whether or not antibiotics should be given. Some doctors just find it easier to dispense the antibiotics, of course. Actually helping the patient understand the reason antibiotics aren't prescribed isn't as easy as just writing for it...
February 12th, 2017 at 5:17:44 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Evenbob

The new ones, like Cipro, .

We have been using "Cipro" for what seems to be decades. I started practicing in 1990 and apparently it started being used in 1991. If you call a drug that has been out since 1991 new, what do you call an 'old' drug?

By the way, I generally agree with antibiotic avoidance. I have to be REALLY sick before I take them.
February 13th, 2017 at 6:12:52 PM permalink
buzzardknot
Threads: 7
Ciprofloxacin was introduced in 1987. It is on the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines, the most effective and safe medicines needed in a health system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciprofloxacin
March 16th, 2017 at 6:05:05 AM permalink
Fleastiff
I just had several slices of PepperJack cheese, this time with no paper, and woke up about two hours later feeling as if I've been drugged rather than merely sleeping. Blood sugar? Beats me.

Gonna do the 'scales' thing tomorrow and see if I've made any progress with weight loss.
March 19th, 2017 at 1:34:02 PM permalink
Fleastiff
These are the times that try men's soles .... and ankles, shin bones, knees, etc.
The Gout has reared its ugly head, perhaps aided by ingestion of corned beef and cabbage.

At six miles each way to a grocery store, you bet I'm limited to remedies presently on hand.

Unfortunately, ain't much.

No pain killers. Had an Rx for inthramicin but it expired eons ago and really shouldn't be taken by males past 40 anyway.
No cherry turnovers or cherry pies but I did have one can of dark red cherries in heavy syrup hidden at the back of the pantry.
Three Frappacinos.
No boooze to knock me out.
Some vitamin C tablets but they are a bit old and aged vitamin C is really nasty stuff. (Journal of Chemical Education:1946).
Some difurolynol methane but it doesn't really help gout.
No allopurinol... gave up quacks remember.. so no Rx's for allopurinol.
Some pepper, grape seeds, sesame seeds, chia seeds, Brazil nuts, almonds, but as far as I know not one of those are any good for relief of gout pain.
Peanut butter, mayonaise, oatmeal, quinoa, sprouted black stuff,

Not much of a medicine chest.
March 19th, 2017 at 1:38:33 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Fleastiff

No allopurinol... .

That's insane. I have taken it every
day for 20 years. It's super cheap
and really works to keep most of
the gout at bay.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.