Streaming Recommendations (Netflix, HBO, Amazon, etc.)

January 21st, 2019 at 7:25:32 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
AT&T has three main streaming services, four alternative ones, and two to launch soon.

These services include three mainstream: AT&T Watch TV, DIRECTV NOW and HBO NOW.

Four alternative services: Crunchyroll, VRV, FullScreen, Rooster Teeth.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/freetrial/anime?utm_source=paid_cr&utm_medium=google_sem&utm_campaign=brand_US&referrer=GoogleSEM&gclid=Cj0KCQiA-JXiBRCpARIsAGqF8wU9TxHzwrq52MOn_twUKMF0zq7MtDKY9D5ddPIdZcyoCcnGuYsbkboaAvNdEALw_wcB

https://vrv.co/gopremium?utm_source=paid_vrv&utm_medium=google_sem&utm_campaign=brand&gclid=Cj0KCQiA-JXiBRCpARIsAGqF8wWmjOJNHVjF0xqBwMacLhSDsdnqqc1Jan_CrAQFiOoja_7CdHhqt7QaAi5tEALw_wcB

https://fullscreenmedia.co/

https://roosterteeth.com/

To make things even more confusing AT&T is launching even more streaming services. These services include a streaming version of DIRECTV and an on-demand service built around HBO and Turner content.
AT&T also owns 10% of Hulu.

The viewing landscape is going to be so fractured that you will not even know what your grandchildren are talking about. In 1960 you would have a show like "Hong Kong" on from 7:30-8:30, the "Ozzie and Harriet from 8:30-9:00, followed by Hawaiian Eye from 9:00-10:00 and "Naked City" from 10:00 -11:00. You may not watch the earlier shows with your grandkids, but you probably heard of the series. Nowadays you won't even recognize the network.

January 21st, 2019 at 2:28:55 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
January 21st, 2019 at 5:32:23 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: aceofspades
And another challenger appears

Netflix is $9 for SD, $13 for HD, and $16 for UHD.

The CEO promises that Disney+ will be cheaper than Netflix. That leaves a lot of wiggle room. It might include UHD movies and sell for $13.
January 21st, 2019 at 5:56:23 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Pacomartin
Netflix is $9 for SD, $13 for HD, and $16 for UHD.

The CEO promises that Disney+ will be cheaper than Netflix. That leaves a lot of wiggle room. It might include UHD movies and sell for $13.

Too me
Its all about must see TV
Right now I am on Netflix to watch their must see TV shows
Prior to Netflix, I was on Hulu to watch the Hand maids tale. Wow was that a tough watch but did the whole season. It was good but dark and depressing.
I consider Game of Thrones must see Tv
I am simply waiting for the new season to leave Netflix and sign up for HBO
I will try any service that offers must see TV
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 22nd, 2019 at 3:55:33 AM permalink
aceofspades
Quote: terapined
Too me
Prior to Netflix, I was on Hulu to watch the Hand maids tale. Wow was that a tough watch but did the whole season. It was good but dark and depressing.

I like the cut of your jib
January 22nd, 2019 at 6:39:34 AM permalink
Pacomartin

Why not! A huge percentage of the movie audience does not say, I want to go to the theater tonight, let's see what's on. That was more common in the 1970s. Today people only go to the movies if there is something that appeals to them.

Why shouldn't people rotate through streaming services to look for a different show.
January 22nd, 2019 at 6:51:54 AM permalink
aceofspades
I watched this last night
The girl is oddly hot - the story did not make much sense (although loosely loosely loosely based on a true story per the screen text before the credits)

Girl applying for college (have to assume she was 18 although she is shown drinking so maybe a late bloomer) meets the new cop in town with a checkered past - of course, she falls head over heels for him while ignoring the "beta male" nice guy cook who works at the diner with her

Usual stalker-type activity occurs

The story is told in a "true crime" style with post-event interviews interspersed with the story

Thumbs down from me

Trailer:

January 22nd, 2019 at 8:17:21 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Too me
I believe that the first 8 seasons of G O T will rotate off of the que, before the new season comes on?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 22nd, 2019 at 8:46:09 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: petroglyph
I believe that the first 8 seasons of G O T will rotate off of the que, before the new season comes on?

I don't think so
When GOT season 6 started, I signed up for HBO and started on ep 1 season 1 and binged 6 seasons
The business is to get people to binge on multiple seasons
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 22nd, 2019 at 9:17:56 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
I don't think so
When GOT season 6 started, I signed up for HBO and started on ep 1 season 1 and binged 6 seasons
The business is to get people to binge on multiple seasons

I wonder about Netflix's business model. What is their goal? More subscribers? Higher revenue from each subscriber?

In addition to access subscription fees, and rent or buy new releases, are there other sustainable sources of income? Other streaming services have content with ads cut into them, allowing customers to watch for free. Unless they go the ad route, their main source of income will be subscription fees. As the field continues to crowd, Netflix will lose content to studios going their own way (like Disney or CBS), and lose subscribers to lower cost competitors. Are they too big for their own good?

My guess is income is coming from:
- Access subscription fees
- Pay per view rentals
- Pay to own
- Referral fees from other subscription channels (e.g. HBO or CBS All Access)
- Merchandising (Stranger Things T-shirts, etc.)
- Data mining

Producing original content is expensive. I don't see them continuing to load up at their current pace. Eventually, every old movie and TV show, even the international ones, will have a home.

Is there that much money in selling data?