Streaming Recommendations (Netflix, HBO, Amazon, etc.)

April 9th, 2018 at 11:55:27 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
So Rick and Morty still hasn't made it to Netflix here. Nevertheless, I'm thinking about re-subscribing to Netflix in order to get "Troy Fall of a City."

The question, then, is: has anyone seen it? And was it any good?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 9th, 2018 at 2:31:22 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Nareed
So Rick and Morty still hasn't made it to Netflix here. Nevertheless, I'm thinking about re-subscribing to Netflix in order to get "Troy Fall of a City."

Is Annihilation on Netflix in your neck of the woods? I thought I read it was.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
April 9th, 2018 at 2:52:21 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: ams288
Is Annihilation on Netflix in your neck of the woods? I thought I read it was.

No clue. I haven't heard of it.

A hasty search in Google returned this from Wikipedia: "Annihilation is a 2018 psychological science fiction horror film, " and then I lost interest.
April 9th, 2018 at 2:52:38 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

Rick and Morty is on Hulu, not on Netflix in the US. Thanks for the recommendation about Troy. It look like an excellent production.

"Annihilation is a 2018 psychological science fiction horror film, "

It looks like some films come out in Netflix in Mexico while they are still in theaters in US (45 days in theaters, and only 3.5 million tickets sol).

US Theater Release Date: February 23, 2018
Mexico Netflix: March 12, 2018
That's only a 17 day delay.

April 14th, 2018 at 6:04:05 PM permalink
Pacomartin
I have to admit to getting sucked into "Lost and Space" (LIS) even though I have mixed feelings about what I am watching. it's fairly melodramatic.

The updated LIS robot clearly owes a lot to the Iron Giant 1999 (which is a brilliant movie).

April 18th, 2018 at 1:01:36 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Anybody else watching the 4th season of
Bosch on Prime? One of the best shows
on TV and this season is great. A huge
thing happens it ep 4 that stunned me,
changed the whole dynamic of the show
forever.

Great mostly Black cast this time, all
cops and lawyers. Some great acting
here, really good stuff.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 23rd, 2018 at 6:35:31 PM permalink
Pacomartin

Westworld season #2 is going to be more violent and darker than season #1.

How is that possible?

The show is both protesting and decrying the level of violence in modern society, but at the same time it is feeding that hunger.
April 23rd, 2018 at 6:59:12 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
Westworld season #2 is going to be more violent and darker than season #1.

is this based on a movie about killer robots in an amusement park, where Bart, Lisa, Homer, Marge and Maggie kill them with disposable cameras?
April 23rd, 2018 at 8:12:41 PM permalink
Pacomartin
is this based on a movie about killer robots in an amusement park, where Bart, Lisa, Homer, Marge and Maggie kill them with disposable cameras?

1. Much of Itchy & Scratchy Land parodies Disneyland.
  2. Euro Itchy & Scratchy Land is a parody of Disneyland Resort Paris, then known as EuroDisney, which at the time was failing.
  3. Several scenes, such as the helicopter ride, the logo visible on the helicopter's side, and certain story elements, parody the Michael Crichton book and film Jurassic Park.
  4. Other parts of the episode, such as the park's claim to be the "theme park of the future", and the plot of the robots at the park rebelling, are based on another Crichton story, Westworld.
  5. "Scratchtasia" is a reference to the Sorcerer's Apprentice segment of the Disney film Fantasia, with several shots and the music parodying it exactly.
  6. In addition, the area where the cartoon "Scratchtasia" is being shown and the documentary it is apart of is reminiscent of the Great Movie Ride pre-show in MGM Studios at the Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, Florida.
  7. "Pinnitchio" is a parody of the 1940 Disney film Pinocchio.
  8. Hans Moleman being attacked by predatory birds while in the phone booth is a spoof of the 1963 Alfred Hitchcock film The Birds.
  9. Walt Disney's alleged antisemitism is spoofed in the character of Roger Meyers, Sr. in his cartoon Nazi Supermen Are Our Superiors.
  10. The sound made by the vehicle which takes Bart to the detention facility resembles the one made by the ground shuttles carrying the fighter pilots inside the Rebel Base in the 1977 film Star Wars.
  11. Marge's Amish flashback recalls Peter Weir's 1985 film Witness.
April 23rd, 2018 at 8:20:34 PM permalink
Nareed
Nothing on the "BORT" vanity license plates? :)

Also, did you notice they have to take a very long drive, and yet the robot expert who delivers the exposition is Prof. Frink? That guy really gets around.