Streaming Recommendations (Netflix, HBO, Amazon, etc.)

April 6th, 2015 at 4:45:23 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: terapined
All the back and forth on this show just sold me.
Just signed up for Netflix.
Watched episode 1 Breaking Bad last nite.
Enjoyed it.
Looks like a fun ride, will be watching episode 2 tonight :-)

When do they give me my free month? Lol

Bb will hook you though it does take a few episodes to get moving. I am glad I didn't start watching until it was over. Binge watching is the only way to watch.
The President is a fink.
April 6th, 2015 at 5:38:13 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: AZDuffman
Binge watching is the only way to watch.

Perhaps the "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt" is the future of television shows. You have to release 300 minutes of a TV show all at once and hope that people get attached enough so that you can make more.
April 6th, 2015 at 6:02:31 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Pacomartin
Perhaps the "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt" is the future of television shows. You have to release 300 minutes of a TV show all at once and hope that people get attached enough so that you can make more.

Don't know that one, but binge-watching is not the future but the present. When I am in the mood to "watch" TV as opposed to just half-watch I want to watch something for a few hours. Or daily after work. I want to watch lots of a series on m own terms. I don't have time to "tune in next week" or even tomorrow. Fewer and fewer people will put up with that. I think m dad is the only person I know who will watch "whatever is on" and that is mainly because he refuses to learn how to work the DVR feature of cable.
The President is a fink.
April 6th, 2015 at 6:26:14 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
But it is still light years from the 84 million that watched the finale of Cheers or the over 100 million viewers of the final of MASH.

Yes, but if we cling to past standards when the market was widely different, we'd have no new TV shows at all.

Next get used to movies having smaller audiences, too. Between much lower costs for decent HD video options, lower costs for decent sounds and visuals, large screens and more sophisticated sound systems at home, a plethora of distribution options, not to mention a bigger population with a bigger talent pool, soon movies will go the way of TV.

In a way this is good. Smaller, independent producers may turn out films that today can't get made because they wouldn't get the kind of audiences a big budget film requires. The studios will have to come up with something new, maybe holography?

You know 100 years ago most people in the world had never seen a movie? Now the motion picture business model is all but played out. It's strange when change happens faster and faster all the time. Movies and TV and music are but parts of one industry. Soon 3-D printing may revolutionize manufacturing along the same lines as well.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 6th, 2015 at 7:49:39 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
The studios will have to come up with something new, maybe holography?

Daniel Smalley of Brigham Young University, in Utah, and his colleagues have made a gizmo which they hope will eventually be able to project screen-sized moving holograms for not much more than the cost of a high-end television set.Their story began when Smalley, was a student at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. In 2013 he published the design of a chip that costs roughly $10 to produce and which is capable of making a small, simple hologram. The chip is a crystal of lithium niobate that has a light-carrying channel called a waveguide carved into it. Lithium niobate is piezoelectric—meaning that when a voltage is applied to it, it contracts or expands, becoming more or less dense as it does so. If the voltage varies, this makes moving patterns of more- and less-dense material. Changing the frequency with which the voltage varies changes the pattern.
April 10th, 2015 at 8:20:39 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
American Hustle. Good acting, boring story. It's
hard to believe people in real life are this lame.
I did appreciate the fear and horror on Christian
Bale's face when he realized he was conning a
mob boss. He knew it was the kiss of death.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 11th, 2015 at 12:31:04 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Warning, strong language and adult content. Other than that, it opened my eyes somewhat after having grown up watching "Gunsmoke, Bonanza, Paledin" etc. I once rented the dvd collection and binge watched it. Very loyal fan base. Outstanding writing, directing, acting etc.

If you can handle vulgar language [probably more accurate than "miss Kitty], you will probably recommend this series and be sad about HBO taking it off the air.

It may change the way you think about the wild west. Based on true story, and researched some.

Deadwood, http://www.hbo.com/deadwood/about/#/
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
April 11th, 2015 at 12:41:35 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: petroglyph

One of the top 5 shows ever on TV.
The first season is a classic, seen
it at least 20 times. Never gets old.
Sometimes something is just that
damn good.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 11th, 2015 at 12:50:02 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Evenbob
One of the top 5 shows ever on TV.
The first season is a classic, seen
it at least 20 times. Never gets old.
Sometimes something is just that
damn good.

It was kind of a forehead slapper going along in my "Mayberry" mindset where the dufus cops get one bullet.

I've got it loaded and am ready to start at least my forth time through the series.

It is definitely in my top ten, probably top five. Other than that I'm a documentary, history or comedy fan.

edit; I was sort of waiting for someone else to post it? Somebody needed to.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
April 11th, 2015 at 9:14:39 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Evenbob
American Hustle. Good acting, boring story. It's
hard to believe people in real life are this lame.
I did appreciate the fear and horror on Christian
Bale's face when he realized he was conning a
mob boss. He knew it was the kiss of death.

One of the worse movies I have seen recently.
Hated everybody.
How can you have a con man movie without an interesting type of con.

Struggling trough Breaking Bad. Only seen 4 episodes so I'm still giving it a chance.
Like American Hustle, just don't care for any of the characters.
Its had good moments, Rigging the battery to make the car explode, wife visiting partner accusing him of selling pot to husband, DEA agt giving Walts son the pot gateway talk in car outside hooker motel, tub falling from 2nd floor.
Getting ready to view episode 5, not hooked yet but still watching.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"