Streaming Recommendations (Netflix, HBO, Amazon, etc.)

April 24th, 2015 at 2:41:36 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: terapined
Watched 1st season Breaking Bad.
It was entertaining but still has not hooked me.
Might watch season 2, on the fence.
The last TV series to hook me was Lost. Loved it until the crappy ending.
I was totally hooked.
I haven't found a series since Lost to get hooked on.
Thinking about cancelling Netflix when my free month is over.

Keep pushing through, the transformation of Walter is just starting. At the least you have to watch until Mike becomes a character. If you do not yet hate Skylar you have not watched long enough.
The President is a fink.
April 24th, 2015 at 3:11:47 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Thinking about cancelling Netflix when my free month is over.

I am sure they don't hear that very often. I think they are up to 60 million subscribers now.
April 24th, 2015 at 3:23:48 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Pacomartin
I am sure they don't hear that very often. I think they are up to 60 million subscribers now.

All the TV you could want for $8 a month, and a month less than a year with cable. It's a dream for a frugal SOB like me.
The President is a fink.
April 24th, 2015 at 5:55:25 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Evenbob
If you can't find something worthwhile
to watch on Netflix, you have a serious
problem. Thousands of things to choose
from, just the documentary section blows
me away. For 26 cents a day? Unbelievable.

Watched a few movies, "3 days to kill" and sci fi "the machine" - review - meh
Watched 2 documentaries, one on Atari and the burried ET game at the dump and a doc on pacific ocean plastic garbage patch- review- meh
Watched season 1 Breaking Bad. Still giving it a chance, taking AZ advice and gonna start on season 2 this weekend.
Looking for a serries to hook me like Lost did.

A lot of why I may quit is due to time.
I work.
Off work, have lots of interests. Like to watch sports. Like to read. Like to listen to music. Like to surf the internet. Like to bike and Kayak.
I also like surfing cable, sometimes I give a show a few min and then find I am hooked. Cable has sports, netflix does not.
Sports is keeping me from cutting the cable cord.
My favorite movies not on netflix Rings and Hobbit movies.
The Anime selection on netflix is poor.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 24th, 2015 at 6:20:25 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Watched a few movies, "3 days to kill" and sci fi "the machine" - review - meh
Watched 2 documentaries, one on Atari and the burried ET game at the dump and a doc on pacific ocean plastic garbage patch- review- meh
Watched season 1 Breaking Bad. Still giving it a chance, taking AZ advice and gonna start on season 2 this weekend.
Looking for a serries to hook me like Lost did.

A lot of why I may quit is due to time.
I work.
Off work, have lots of interests. Like to watch sports. Like to read. Like to listen to music. Like to surf the internet. Like to bike and Kayak.
I also like surfing cable, sometimes I give a show a few min and then find I am hooked. Cable has sports, netflix does not.
Sports is keeping me from cutting the cable cord.
My favorite movies not on netflix Rings and Hobbit movies.
The Anime selection on netflix is poor.

I was very underwhelmed by the Atari thing. Always heard the rumor of the buried games, it was even in a college textbook. I hoped for more of a "rise and fall" thing, instead it was too much time getting landfill permits and went nowhere. Trying to watch new things or things I have not seen. Saw some movie about a chick became a stripper to care for her dad the other night. Total one-time watch. A good idea for a plot but not done well.

Cut the cord! There is free sports to watch. Or get a Roku box and pay for streaming as it comes available. Life is so nice when you get off of "TV Time" and watch what you want when on your own terms. Mine is also better just not caring about sports. I can enjoy a game, but I no longer give myself over to it. Can't name 10 players locally. So much more to do. Getting a beehive next week. Maybe I will post here on that.
The President is a fink.
April 24th, 2015 at 7:16:19 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin

I cancelled it just like that on my first go round. At the time, I had no interest on watching movies or TV on my PC. I resubscribed when I got a tablet, and even then I wasn't impressed. had it not been for the Chromecast, I'd have dropped it like a hot potato.

As it is, I don't get much use off it. I'd say 90% of their content is of no interest to me (including 100% of the Spanish content). And even things I like it turns out I don't like that much. For instance, they have all the TNG eps. Nice. But when I browse that list, I'm only interested in a few of the better eps, not in all of them or even a sizable majority.

I've watched a few movies. I streamed all the Mythbusters episodes they have. I'm currently doing a few eps of Smash, season 2, per week. But overall I don't think I watch it weekly on average.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 24th, 2015 at 9:13:35 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: Evenbob
Big Fish. What a great movie. What a great
cast. Had me entranced for 2 hours. Of course
anything that has Helena Bonham Carter
does that to me. This movie is very close
to being a masterpiece, it's that good.

Big Fish is a great movie. Watched it years ago.
Lots of great movies on netflix, problem is I've allready seen them such as Big Fish.
Looking for compelling viewing that I have not seen before.
What few things I have checked out on netflix has not been compelling yet.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 24th, 2015 at 12:37:49 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Between Netflix and On Demand from
Comcast, I never watch real TV anymore.
I can watch what I want when I want.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 6th, 2015 at 6:49:13 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I finished watching "Smash" season 2, and last, last Saturday.

I don't know what the show intended to be given a long run, but wrapping it all up in one season was amazing. The stories were rushed, with one major flaw, but gripping. The characters got good development. The songs for "Hit List" are amazing. There was a lot of conflict without much nastiness involved. Amazingly when people do or say something mean or nasty, they try to apologize and they get a fair hearing most times.

I need to re-watch the full two seasons.

As an aside, I don't much care for musicals. But if someone did "Hit List," I'd be eager to see it.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
May 6th, 2015 at 11:56:20 AM permalink
terapined
Got my free month then discontinued. I'm cheap.
Watched season 1 and a few episodes season 2 Breaking Bad, never hooked me. Lost interest.
Watched some movies and documentaries.
Nothing compelling.
Anything compelling on Netflix, I've allready watched.
No rings or hobbit movies. No dubbed anime.
I have cable for sports such as the NBA playoffs.
There is so mamy options of what to do with my free time.
Can find plenty on cable to watch when bored.
Trying to be more active outside and read more.