Do it yourself

Page 136 of 138« First<133134135136137138>
September 8th, 2023 at 2:24:33 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: DRich
Got a flat tire today. Probably my first one in 15 years. I haven't changed a tire since 1990. Fortunately my warranty covers roadside assistance so Triple A was out in about 45 minutes. Took him about 7 minutes to fill up the spare and swap it on. Hopefully it can be patched because I still like this car and it only has 21,000 miles on it, I am not ready to replace it yet.

I have Triple A also, but would probably change it myself except in certain conditions. Probably not going to change it out on I-75. but if I have a place to pull in like parking lot, would do it there. I keep a foot pump handy, so can handle a slow leak until i get somewhere.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 8th, 2023 at 2:31:00 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: rxwine
I have Triple A also, but would probably change it myself except in certain conditions. Probably not going to change it out on I-75. but if I have a place to pull in like parking lot, would do it there. I keep a foot pump handy, so can handle a slow leak until i get somewhere.

Mine was pretty handy as it was in my driveway. The most physical thing I do is take the garbage cans out on Monday and they are on wheels.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 8th, 2023 at 2:34:12 PM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: rxwine

Me too, in fact I changed one a couple of weeks ago and I didn’t have to wonder if my spare was full because it always is. Dropped AAA years ago. Typical wait times were 2 hours or so.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
September 9th, 2023 at 9:44:34 AM permalink
DRich
Quote: JimRockford
Me too, in fact I changed one a couple of weeks ago and I didn’t have to wonder if my spare was full because it always is. Dropped AAA years ago. Typical wait times were 2 hours or so.

How often do you check the pressure in your spare so that you are confident it will be fine? I wasn't even sure if mine had a spare as I had never seen it before as it is under the floor board in the back of the SUV.
September 9th, 2023 at 11:53:56 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
How often do you check the pressure in your spare so that you are confident it will be fine? I wasn't even sure if mine had a spare as I had never seen it before as it is under the floor board in the back of the SUV.

I adjust the pressure in my tires including the spare once a month. That’s probably a little anal but I have a compressor so it’s easy. If the temperature has been pretty consistent they often don’t require much adjustment. The critical time to check is when the seasons change. If it’s significantly warmer than the last time I checked, I sometimes need to let air out.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
September 9th, 2023 at 12:46:54 PM permalink
DRich
Quote: JimRockford
I adjust the pressure in my tires including the spare once a month. That’s probably a little anal but I have a compressor so it’s easy. If the temperature has been pretty consistent they often don’t require much adjustment. The critical time to check is when the seasons change. If it’s significantly warmer than the last time I checked, I sometimes need to let air out.

That is great that you pay so much attention to it. I only check my tire pressure if the dashboard starts yelling at me.
September 9th, 2023 at 12:51:04 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Got a flat tire today. Probably my first one in 15 years. I haven't changed a tire since 1990. Fortunately my warranty covers roadside assistance so Triple A was out in about 45 minutes. Took him about 7 minutes to fill up the spare and swap it on. Hopefully it can be patched because I still like this car and it only has 21,000 miles on it, I am not ready to replace it yet.
if the tire is ruined, it totaled the car, you'll have to get a new one

couldn't resist , sorry
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
September 9th, 2023 at 1:52:14 PM permalink
DRich
Quote: odiousgambit
if the tire is ruined, it totaled the car, you'll have to get a new one

couldn't resist , sorry

You don't need to apologize. That was a real consideration (replacing the car, not totaling it). Fortunately they were able to patch it so the $40 cost was considerably better than a $35,000 payment.
October 27th, 2023 at 6:14:18 AM permalink
rxwine
I was looking at a guy's "hamster wheel" device for charging one of those small portable cell phone type batteries that he put outside for squirrel power. He was baiting the wheel with peanut butter. It didn't work very well. I think a better idea would be something that wrapped around a bird feeder pole. It would work similar to q cuckoo clock. Make a lightweight piece of foam that slides up or down the pole. A small amount of counterweight would keep it pulled to the top of the poll. When a squirrel is either climbing up or down from the feeder the squirrel's weight on it would pull it downward turning the generator. Maybe use a longer pole than a normal bird feeder height. Instead of 6 ft, make it 10 or 15ft.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 31st, 2023 at 7:03:36 AM permalink
rxwine
OOh, if you have an iphone or ipad, I just noticed Blackmagic has released a free camera app. They've offered a free video editor comparable to pro versions for years now. They sell camera hardware, and offer software free.

I don't see any "in app" purchase message either. No android version though.
Page 136 of 138« First<133134135136137138>