Do it yourself

Page 1 of 1381234>Last »
February 26th, 2015 at 12:11:43 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Was about to buy a air purifier, but I may just do this instead.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 26th, 2015 at 3:04:17 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
A filter and a fan. Big deal. Filter could even be turned around and placed behind the fan. Its how often you change the filter that counts and whether you want to add ozone or not.
February 26th, 2015 at 6:15:40 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Fleastiff
A filter and a fan. Big deal. Filter could even be turned around and placed behind the fan. Its how often you change the filter that counts and whether you want to add ozone or not.

What is the deal on adding ozone? I always hear warning about it in the summer.
The President is a fink.
February 26th, 2015 at 7:53:44 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: AZDuffman
What is the deal on adding ozone? I always hear warning about it in the summer.
If you smell ozone in a home it usually means there is an electrical problem; if you smell ozone outdoors, it usually means lightening strikes. Its basically just an oxygen molecule with an extra oxygen atom added on to it. Its highly unstable and reactive; will react with just about anything especially small particulate matter in the air you breathe.
February 26th, 2015 at 8:46:56 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Fleastiff
Big deal.

The last purifier I bought was around $70 for the bedroom. I already have an unused box fan, practically new. This probably works better than the one I bought. I didn't have a fancy particulate tester like this guy.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 26th, 2015 at 10:31:56 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Speaking of do it yourself, has anyone here ever refinished a table or other furniture?

My wife wants me to refinish a dining room table with chairs and I have never done anything like that. I am also not what you would call the handy man type. The worst part is that she said that I can't sand it and that I need to use a chemical stripper because the wood grains all go in different directions, What I assumed would be an 8 hour project sounds like it is now going to be a 30 hour project. My worst fear is that I will screw it up and just end up having to buy a new one anyways.

If I was smart I would just buy the new one now and save myself many hours of frustration.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 26th, 2015 at 10:48:58 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: DRich
Speaking of do it yourself, has anyone here ever refinished a table or other furniture?

My wife wants me to refinish a dining room table with chairs and I have never done anything like that. I am also not what you would call the handy man type. The worst part is that she said that I can't sand it and that I need to use a chemical stripper because the wood grains all go in different directions, What I assumed would be an 8 hour project sounds like it is now going to be a 30 hour project. My worst fear is that I will screw it up and just end up having to buy a new one anyways.

If I was smart I would just buy the new one now and save myself many hours of frustration.

I did this for a living 20 years ago. Table and chairs
is a pain. Has to be done outdoors. The table is not
bad, the chairs are impossible if you don't have the
right equipment, and you don't. You will attempt
it and quit halfway through and get a new set.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 26th, 2015 at 10:54:27 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Yes, you would but that is not going to keep your wife happy.

You can choose several paint and varnish strippers from some really nasty stuff to orange oil .. whatever you choose wear APPROPRIATE gloves and "well ventilated" means a 300 per cent change of room air every two minutes.

I'd drop it off at Face's place along with a big canister of carbon dioxide. You lose 80 percent efficiency turning from gas to pellets and then you air gun the pellets at the wood and each pellet sublimates (turns to gas) with a teensy weensy sonic boom that is just enough to cause the air under the paint lift itself off the wood. If you take along a leather apron for Face, Angie would appreciate it since those pellets do bounce every which way including below the belt buckle.

Or you can use very fine baking soda and a low power air gun to blast paint and grease off the wood, but don't use hardware store or grocery store baking soda and don't use baking powder at all.
February 26th, 2015 at 11:16:18 AM permalink
AZDuffman

What exactly does she want done? Does she want it stripped and a new varnish done so you can see the grain? Or painted?

I don't see why you can't sand it. Wood grain does not "go in all different directions." If the wood is joined it does, but a small sander should be fine.

The big question is whether it is wood or just a veneer? Unless it is really old or really expensive it may not be worth it to go whole-hog on it.
The President is a fink.
February 26th, 2015 at 11:21:16 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Since this is already a splitting thread I will pile on.

Does anyone know the best product to fill smaller rust-holes in a vehicle? The body on the truck I recently bought is almost perfect except for two small holes about the size of your baby finger above the wheel wells. I probably have the skill to take some sheet metal and cover them then blend with filler but that will take three times the size as if there is a good fill product. They are just a touch too large for straight body filler. I need a filler material with "body" to it like fiberglass to build it up before I sand and blend it.

I haven't done any bodywork in near 25 years so is there something new since then that works well and can be done in the driveway?
The President is a fink.
Page 1 of 1381234>Last »