Better Call Saul

October 13th, 2019 at 8:03:31 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard
Can you remind me what number they gave him? I could see on a TV show or movie it beginning with a 6, for the same reason everybody's phone number begins with 5-5-5. No real Social Security number begins with a 6. Nor an 8 or 9. 7's are railroad or "non-work" numbers.

This is getting out of my area, but I hear when somebody assumes a new clean identity, they look for a number given to a child who died at a young age.

141-18-6941. Have they not cracked the "6" yet? I knew that Railroad Employees had something in the "7s" Presumably because when issued they figured we would never need numbers that high. In college they would post grades by SS # and a girl I knew hated it because she was from MO and had a 500 number and many people knew she was from there and at least the smarter students knew that one was her number.

I have noticed from dealing with them that those born after the early 1980s do not fall into that old pattern, I assume numbers got used up. When I did loans we did some sort of check that said when a series had to be issued and it cross checked the DOB for a fraud alert.

Some number was used for ads because some guy ran an ad and needed a card, asked his secretary and she was like, "sure, use mine." This was way back. But even then it was causing her issues so much that she got a new number and her number became the "555" of numbers to be used in ads.

Why on earth do I know so much of this?

As to the child, that used to be a thing, today I do not think as much because they are better at killing numbers of dead people and what you are talking about is they would find the child and hope that a number was never issued. Not as sure there, I do know when my dad died they called us before we could call them.
The President is a fink.
October 13th, 2019 at 4:38:22 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Can you remind me what number they gave him? I could see on a TV show or movie it beginning with a 6, for the same reason everybody's phone number begins with 5-5-5. No real Social Security number begins with a 6. Nor an 8 or 9. 7's are railroad or "non-work" numbers.

This is getting out of my area, but I hear when somebody assumes a new clean identity, they look for a number given to a child who died at a young age.

A friend of mine was on the lam from the police in Montana. He was captured when trying to get a SS# that belonged to a child that died that was his same age.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
October 13th, 2019 at 8:35:24 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: DRich
A friend of mine was on the lam from the police in Montana. He was captured when trying to get a SS# that belonged to a child that died that was his same age.

The best way to get fake ID
is pay somebody who does
it for a living. But it ain't
cheap.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 14th, 2019 at 4:27:30 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Evenbob
The best way to get fake ID
is pay somebody who does
it for a living. But it ain't
cheap.

It is $125,000 for the deluxe package.
The President is a fink.
October 14th, 2019 at 5:26:53 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I watched El Camino last night.

I agree with what has already been said. Kind of pointless, not as good as Breaking Bad. But still worth watching if you're a fan.

Good to see they brought Robert Forster's character back, and it was released on Netflix the very day he died.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
October 14th, 2019 at 6:28:21 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
A while back, I think 40's or 50's, somebody mass produced a wallet and put a fake Social Security card in it, as a way to show it had a convenient place to put them. Remember, the cards don't have your name on them. A lot of people kept it in there and eventually just thought it was their own number. Wages reported from all over the country started to be reported earned on this number. When anyone noticed their error, it was a major headache for Social Security trying to straighten it out.

The story about it is in the Social Security museum.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
October 14th, 2019 at 6:38:54 AM permalink
AZDuffman
A while back, I think 40's or 50's, somebody mass produced a wallet and put a fake Social Security card in it, as a way to show it had a convenient place to put them. Remember, the cards don't have your name on them. A lot of people kept it in there and eventually just thought it was their own number. Wages reported from all over the country started to be reported earned on this number. When anyone noticed their error, it was a major headache for Social Security trying to straighten it out.

The story about it is in the Social Security museum.

I can believe that what with how.........wait a minute, Social Security Museum?!?!?!
The President is a fink.
October 14th, 2019 at 7:35:45 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: AZDuffman
.........wait a minute, Social Security Museum?!?!?!

Wow, and I thought the Corning Glass museum was the most boring museum.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
October 14th, 2019 at 8:18:20 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: DRich
Wow, and I thought the Corning Glass museum was the most boring museum.

I liked that one. Still upset I broke my measure glass a few years ago, up to 5 oz shots IIRC.

What you do not want to see is the "Joe Hardy Display" sort of a mini-museum.
The President is a fink.
October 14th, 2019 at 11:02:55 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
I can believe that what with how.........wait a minute, Social Security Museum?!?!?!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fdrlibrary/9068527585/in/photostream/
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.