Is Satan Real

Page 24 of 25« First<2122232425>
February 5th, 2015 at 7:49:00 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
Their claim would be nonsense if you could prove the Resurrection didn't happen. .

It would be even better if you could prove
it did happen. A bunch of spurious
accounts written decades after it happened
2000 years ago is not proof, it's not anything
but a curious story. You want and need for
it to be true, so it is.

Christians frighten me when I'm around them
and they're talking about their religion. They
sound like crazy people, talking about fairy
tale stuff like it actually happened. I treat them
like they're very fragile, like they might come
unglued at any minute. The same way I treat
people who make wild claims about aliens
being in out midst.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 5th, 2015 at 2:16:44 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Nareed

So, do you believe Isis resurrected Osiris?

I've never even heard of them before and if it is anything related to the crazy story you shared a little bit ago, then no I don't believe it.

Quote:
Sense not making are you, as that annoying little Jedi would say.

I love Yoda.

Quote:

There are a number of well-documented cases of missing bodies and empty tombs. I suppose all these people resurrected?

Why would you think that?

Quote:
There is not one single account of the alleged resurrection by any source other than the followers of Jesus. You'd think after all the scandal this man caused, allegedly, the Israelites of the time, the Romans of the time and the bystanders of the time would have noted something so remarkable as a dead man walking the streets of Judea as if nothing had happened.

What is remarkable is that could do nothing to stop this truth from spreading. It is pretty easy to prove someone is not resurrected. However, they were helpless and reduced to lies, made up stories, and the threat of force. All of which did nothing to dissuade the early followers of Jesus and many others to come to believe and experience that indeed He has been raised.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
February 5th, 2015 at 2:35:46 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I've never even heard of them before and if it is anything related to the crazy story you shared a little bit ago, then no I don't believe it.

You've never heard of the parent gods of Egypt before?

Osiris brought civilization to Egypt, teaching the people to farm among other things. when he was done, he went all over the world to spread civilization. Isis, or Ist, was his wife. The Goddess of Magic, She Who Knows All Names.

When Osiris returned to Egypt, his brother, Seth, trapped him in a coffin built to his exact measurements, poured molten lead in it and threw it down the Nile. Osiris died then. The rest of the myth goes on along the outline in my previous post, including that missing 13th piece.

You don't believe any of that?

Quote:
I love Yoda.

Annoying little green moron. Really. You have two (that's t-w-o) Jedi left alive, one enemy of consequence (the emperor) and one sorry little bastard who's not a threat to anyone at the moment. What does Yoda do? He splits his forces to ensure defeat.

A noble sacrifice on his part.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 5th, 2015 at 2:56:13 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Uhm, one enemy of consequence and an army loyal to him.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
February 5th, 2015 at 3:32:18 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Dalex64
Uhm, one enemy of consequence and an army loyal to him.

The prissy little muppet had no trouble arranging a face-to-face one-time-only duel with the Laughing Maniac. Maybe the Dark Lord of the Sith (that sounds better, right?) could have beaten the hell out of both Kenobi and the CGI creature, but if so then he certainly could take only one of them easily.

Not, mind you, that the bad guys were any smarter. Anakin swallows the Emperor's lies whole and chases them with further lies. The Emperor knows two powerful Jedi survived, also that Padme would give birth, and he proceeds to ignore all three for the next 20-odd years, rather than sending an army of clone cannon-fodder to deal with them.

Really, a five-year old would have come up with a better script.

And don't get me started on Padme dying of absolutely nothing at all.
February 5th, 2015 at 9:35:49 PM permalink
Evenbob
accident
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 5th, 2015 at 10:39:49 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Nareed
You've never heard of the parent gods of Egypt before?

Osiris brought civilization to Egypt, teaching the people to farm among other things. when he was done, he went all over the world to spread civilization. Isis, or Ist, was his wife. The Goddess of Magic, She Who Knows All Names.

When Osiris returned to Egypt, his brother, Seth, trapped him in a coffin built to his exact measurements, poured molten lead in it and threw it down the Nile. Osiris died then. The rest of the myth goes on along the outline in my previous post, including that missing 13th piece.

You don't believe any of that?

Does anyone today believe that?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
February 5th, 2015 at 11:21:10 PM permalink
Evenbob
"Why does Jesus have to be man or divine.
Maybe man is divine." The DaVinci Code.

I love this movie. It has a much more plausible
explanation of who Jesus was than what we
get in the Bible. He was a married man and
had a pregnant wife. That I can believe.

The Gospel of Philip says:

There were three who always walked with the Lord: Mary, his mother, and her sister, and Magdalene, the one who was called his companion. His sister and his mother and his companion were each a Mary.

It says Jesus liked to kiss Mary a lot and she
was his favorite and it drove the other
disciples crazy with jealousy. Sounds pretty
human to me, has a ring of truth to it.
February 6th, 2015 at 6:19:33 AM permalink
Nareed
Does anyone today believe that?

The early Christians believed enough of it to borrow it.

And not only the myth, but the lessons in it. This myth is the root of the belief that everyone will resurrect, provided they take the appropriate measures. Where have we heard that later on?

Oh, and Osiris gets killed by his evil brother, Seth, who works tirelessly to undo Osiris' work. Sound familiar? Naturally this is a myth component often repeated all over the place. Why not? Life is pretty good sometimes, and rather horrible at other times. Surely there's a reason for that?

I don't condemn any group for borrowing myths, legends and other things from earlier groups. These things are hard to come up with. Writing originated in only a few places, everywhere else it was borrowed. Agriculture originated in even fewer places, but everyone else borrowed it.
February 6th, 2015 at 7:26:02 AM permalink
Nareed
Oh, another thing about Egypt's early myths:

They were believed by the Egyptians for over 3,000 years. That's why they kept embalming corpses, that's why they kept making corpses complete (remember that missing piece of Osiris and the Prosthesis Ist gave him?), and that's why they expected to resurrect in the next world. (*)

That's not a bad track record for a made up story containing impossible miracles at its heart.

Christianity may run for as long, or it may fizzle out earlier. Time will tell, as it always does. As we've discussed earlier, some splinters of Christianity are trying to keep up with modern science. That's a hard thing to do while clinging to impossible miracles.

For one thing many questions are raised for which there are no good answers. here's one: why would God wait billions of years to create plants and animals, and why hundreds of millions more to create humanity? You can resort to the historical trick of throwing maybes at the wall and see which ones stick, but that's not an answer. And that's just the least of it. Cosmological questions become personal if a creator is involved.

(*) If I ever get religion, I would go with the Egyptian cults. They had some decidedly odd ideas, but their myths make more sense and contain few contradictions as compared to other religions. On the downside their gods are ugly. All of them are pretty much human bodies with animal heads. That's hard to take seriously, especially after having watched Stargate SG-1.

But most important, the Egyptians came very close to worshipping something that actually deserves worship. they didn't quite get there, and that's too bad.
Page 24 of 25« First<2122232425>