foreign policy

Page 2 of 4<1234>
November 20th, 2014 at 6:24:17 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Pacomartin
Quote:
Anti-semitism goes back to the 3rd century before Christ. But Anti semitism among the Christian church started in the 3rd century AD.
Anti-semitism seems particularly strange in Christianity, as Jesus was not only Jewish, but he regarded the Jews as the chosen people, and spent his entire life in Judea except for one brief journey to Tyre and Sidon that lasted only days. These towns are in Southern Lebanon about 100 miles from Tel-Aviv. He is approached by a non-Jew who he initially dismisses because she is not a Jew, but later relents and performs a miracle for her daughter.

If I am able to take this statement the way I perceive things. I see Jesus coming around the corner and he sees the woman isn't hebrew. My mind says the only way he can tell without talking to one another is she is maybe a different color. Guessing maybe caucasian , Jesus being Semitic or "Olive skinned"?

When people use the term so often "anti-semitic", my thoughts take me to the understanding that the term Jew and Semite are in no way synonymous. My understanding is in this day and age the Palestinians are more Semitic than the majority of Jews. Which makes me think it is the cruelest of irony's. The term is used in reverse. imo
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 21st, 2014 at 4:37:07 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: petroglyph
I'm not a hundred percent sure of what people mean when they say Jew?

I have had this conversation a few various times with jews and gentiles alike. I get a few common threads. One is that Jewish traditions are different enough to set them apart. Another is that as Jews are "klannish" to a certain extent. Of course part of this is because like Gypsies, so few places would have them. In pre-1990s USA when people did not get offended if someone said, "what are you" people would say Irish, German, whatever. Nobody said "Catholic" but Jews would say "Jewish." Might have been Polish, but they would say Jewish. So you can say the Jews were both set apart and set themselves apart.

Quote:
Some say you have to be born to a Jewish mother, some say you can join up later on, see Sammy Davis Jr.?

Sammy and Henry Hill are two famous converts, but I think neither they nor their kids could claim the title "Jewish." I think there is a common bond where you have to grow up Jewish. Similar to those of us who went to a Catholic school. I can meet a person went to one in another city but in many ways we might as well have went to the same one. (Those who did know what I mean, those who did not will never know.) Similar thing in growing up in a Jewish family. So Mr. Davis can convert, but he would always be an outsider on some level.
The President is a fink.
November 21st, 2014 at 5:48:03 AM permalink
chickenman
Threads: 0
Some say you have to be born to a Jewish mother
Many of my Jewish friends say that. Some with a look down the nose attitude as in, "Well, she's not really a Jew, she wasn't born of a Jewish womb."
He's everywhere, he's everywhere...!
November 21st, 2014 at 9:58:18 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
For thou [art] an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that [are] upon the earth.

ב כי עם קדוש אתה ליהוה אלהיך ובך בחר יהוה להיות לו לעם סגלה מכל העמים אשר על פני האדמה {ס}

By most religious standards Jews are hated because of jealousy, as they are the chosen people.
November 23rd, 2014 at 8:22:35 AM permalink
petroglyph
Cuba must be stopped before they overthrow the United States and her allies,

http://www.counterpunch.org/2014/11/21/the-punishment-of-cuba/
November 23rd, 2014 at 3:54:40 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Cuba must be stopped before they overthrow the United States and her allies,

Cuba is a mess because of an evil, repressive system, not because the USA will not trade with her. Cuba is the key to the Gulf of Mexico. The Gulf of Mexico is the key to the prosperity of everything between the Rockies and the Mississippi. That area is the USA industrial and agricultural heartland.

IOW, the embargo will stay until the return of a friendly government we can do business with there.
The President is a fink.
November 23rd, 2014 at 5:08:31 PM permalink
petroglyph
Click on the link.

Besides the US, at the United Nations when votes are taken the only countries that vote with"us" and against Cuba are vassal states receiving a portion of their GNP from the US, as foreign aid.

No one, or next to no one else is believing Cuba is a threat, especially since they were first and sent the most doctors to not only Haiti, after their Tsunami, but to Africa to fight this Ebola.

Canada trades with Cuba and has direct flights, as does Mexico. Now China is drilling for oil off the coast of Cuba. I have read of a "super giant " field between Cuba and Haiti, but haven't gotten enough confirmation of it. The last I heard company's wanting to drill off the coast of Florida had to be out 125 miles.

The day after Fidel and Raul pass away the embargo will be lifted. I think it is purely business, but with America losing its clout worldwide, with every opportunity wasted, China steps in. It is about who controls the oil that controls the direction of the world.

We could have owned Cuba. http://www.jfklibrary.org/JFK/JFK-in-History/The-Bay-of-Pigs.aspx Instead we lose the WRC to global over reach.
November 23rd, 2014 at 5:23:10 PM permalink
petroglyph
With Nato continuing to poke the Bear like this: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-11-23/nato-jets-surrounding-russia-and-after#comments it may not be too long before Putin parks migs in Cuba.

The bankers and the mic are salivating for war, cold or hot. That may be because they don't have "skin" in the game ala, Clinton, Bush, Cheney or Obama?

Putin makes our president look like a tool, repeatedly. He did do a work-around in Syria however.
November 24th, 2014 at 12:43:20 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin
By most religious standards Jews are hated because of jealousy, as they are the chosen people.

They seem to be. They are successful at everything
they try. But that's because of Jews marrying Jews
and getting great offspring, not because they're
'chosen'. Other 'races' have not fared so well. If
you can call Jewish people a race.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 24th, 2014 at 2:56:06 AM permalink
AZDuffman

Canada trades with Cuba and has direct flights, as does Mexico. Now China is drilling for oil off the coast of Cuba. I have read of a "super giant " field between Cuba and Haiti, but haven't gotten enough confirmation of it. The last I heard company's wanting to drill off the coast of Florida had to be out 125 miles.

There is what they call a "doughnut hole" between the USA and Cuba. Both places claim x far out and the contours overlap so they have to negotiate mineral rights. These holes happen but when there are no relations then that hole just kind of sits.

I will repeat, Cuba is not a threat but it is strategic and as such nothing is going to change.
The President is a fink.
Page 2 of 4<1234>