Pot Legalized

May 20th, 2017 at 1:34:32 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: petroglyph
Mj can definitely be a medicine with many uses.
http://theantimedia.org/scientists-28k-medicinal-plants/
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 3rd, 2017 at 7:36:48 AM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Some tax numbers to think about:

Quote: Bloomberg
Alaska’s first year brought in $1.2 million in tax revenue, short of a projected $2 million. Colorado and Washington both took in less tax revenue than expected in their first year, but revenue has grown every year since and now exceeds projections. Colorado’s effective tax rate is around 30 percent, and Washington has a flat rate of 37 percent. Joseph Bishop-Henchman of the Tax Foundation says these relatively high taxes have allowed a significant black market to persist by making legal pot expensive. States that have legalized more recently have set the rate lower. In Oregon, it’s 17 percent. Maine and Massachusetts have proposed rates of about 20 percent, while California is planning for a 15 percent levy. There isn’t enough data to measure the impact of lower taxes, but Maine state Senator Teresa Pierce believes that Maine will “hit a sweet spot” and be able to undercut black market prices.

A daily heavy user who's burning through an ounce a month will be tempted to turn to the black market if taxes are excessive.

But if you're a light user who only buys a 1/4 ounce every couple months, I think the peace of mind buying pot that's been tested for mold, labelled for THC content, and sold at a storefront with predictable hours (as opposed to waiting for your unreliable stoner dealer to return your text) outweighs the extra couple bucks in taxes.

California is smart to keep taxes at a low 15%. California grows 13.5 million pounds of marijuana annually; less than 20 percent of it is consumed there.
November 3rd, 2017 at 8:03:04 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: reno
Some tax numbers to think about:

Quote: Bloomberg
Alaska’s first year brought in $1.2 million in tax revenue, short of a projected $2 million. Colorado and Washington both took in less tax revenue than expected in their first year, but revenue has grown every year since and now exceeds projections. Colorado’s effective tax rate is around 30 percent, and Washington has a flat rate of 37 percent. Joseph Bishop-Henchman of the Tax Foundation says these relatively high taxes have allowed a significant black market to persist by making legal pot expensive. States that have legalized more recently have set the rate lower. In Oregon, it’s 17 percent. Maine and Massachusetts have proposed rates of about 20 percent, while California is planning for a 15 percent levy. There isn’t enough data to measure the impact of lower taxes, but Maine state Senator Teresa Pierce believes that Maine will “hit a sweet spot” and be able to undercut black market prices.

A daily heavy user who's burning through an ounce a month will be tempted to turn to the black market if taxes are excessive.

But if you're a light user who only buys a 1/4 ounce every couple months, I think the peace of mind buying pot that's been tested for mold, labelled for THC content, and sold at a storefront with predictable hours (as opposed to waiting for your unreliable stoner dealer to return your text) outweighs the extra couple bucks in taxes.

California is smart to keep taxes at a low 15%. California grows 13.5 million pounds of marijuana annually; less than 20 percent of it is consumed there.

What amazes me is the amount of business these pot places do
I was just in Denver last week
The pot shops are everywhere.
Every single neighborhood has at least 1 or more shops
They are everywhere in Denver
Every single one busy.
9 or 10 in the morning on a week day and they are busy
Cash business, credit cards not accepted
The amount of revenue states are losing by not legalizing is stupendous
Picked up some "Afghan jet fuel" shatter to take home :-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 3rd, 2017 at 9:06:10 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: terapined

What amazes me is the amount of business these pot places do
I was just in Denver last week
The pot shops are everywhere.
Every single neighborhood has at least 1 or more shops
They are everywhere in Denver

I look for that to eventually shake out. Demand should level after the general public finds the stuff is not all it is cracked up to be and stoners will keep going to the places they like.
The President is a fink.
November 3rd, 2017 at 9:48:20 AM permalink
reno
Quote: AZDuffman
I look for that to eventually shake out. Demand should level after the general public finds the stuff is not all it is cracked up to be and stoners will keep going to the places they like.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, and if you think the stuff is overrated, more power to you. But consider its popularity...

McDonalds Corporation total revenue, 2016: $24.6 billion
Starbucks Corporation total revenue, 2016: $21.3 billion
Marijuana sales 2016 (U.S. + Canada): $53.3 billion

That statistic is from Fortune magazine, but who the hell knows how accurate that estimate is. Even if the real number is 1/8 of that, it's a huge number.
November 3rd, 2017 at 10:00:05 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: reno

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, and if you think the stuff is overrated, more power to you. But consider its popularity...

McDonalds Corporation total revenue, 2016: $24.6 billion
Starbucks Corporation total revenue, 2016: $21.3 billion
Marijuana sales 2016 (U.S. + Canada): $53.3 billion

That statistic is from Fortune magazine, but who the hell knows how accurate that estimate is. Even if the real number is 1/8 of that, it's a huge number.

I do think wrecking your brain is overrated. This number would be about $200 spent for every man, woman, and child in Amerada. I spend $0. EB presumable spends $0. Children spend $0. What is the pothead population spending?
The President is a fink.
November 3rd, 2017 at 10:26:09 AM permalink
terapined

ROTFL
You have no vision when it comes to a growing business

Here’s a look at Colorado’s previous cumulative yearly sales totals:
2014: $699,198,805
2015: $996,184,788
2016: $1,313,156,545
2017; reached a billion in 8 months

Growth is very very stong
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 3rd, 2017 at 10:44:57 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: terapined
ROTFL
You have no vision when it comes to a growing business

Here’s a look at Colorado’s previous cumulative yearly sales totals:
2014: $699,198,805
2015: $996,184,788
2016: $1,313,156,545
2017; reached a billion in 8 months

Growth is very very stong

I still expect a peak when people realize how much he stuff slows them down in everyday life.
The President is a fink.
November 3rd, 2017 at 11:10:57 AM permalink
terapined
I still expect a peak when people realize how much he stuff slows them down in everyday life.

Gee
its only been easily available my whole life
Over 50 years
I've had no problem buying
Even EB was buying

Its a growing industry
50 years and its growing exponentially
April 11th, 2018 at 10:41:50 AM permalink
reno
There's a company called Acreage Holdings which grows, processes, and distributes marijuana in 11 states. If you had told me 5 years ago that someday Speaker of the House John Boehner would be on their Board of Directors, I never would have believed you.

It's kind of messed up that a kid like Gary Howard will spend 18 years in prison for possession of 1/2 ounce, while the retired Speaker of the House now works for a company that operates over 300,000 sq ft of grow rooms for a product that's still illegal under federal law!