Pot Legalized

November 12th, 2014 at 2:45:43 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Legalizing weed may violate international conventions.

I doubt it much matters to most people, but an interesting bit on what happens when you give away sovereignty to international bodies.
The President is a fink.
November 12th, 2014 at 3:36:56 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Apropos of this:

"You mean a non-sequitur," Gladia said. "You said 'nonsense quitter'."
"Very well," D.G. smiled genially, "let's quit the nonsense."

From "Robots and Empire" by Isaac Asimov.

1) Whenever you eat, drink, breathe or even have a thought, you're altering your brain's chemistry. All brain activity, all life, is a series of chemical reactions. If this upsets you, then know that killing yourself won't stop your brain's chemistry from changing, it will just change in a different way ;)

2) While excessive sugar can be damaging, in and of itself "sugar," meaning glucose, is not just harmless but necessary for your continued existence. Your cells, each and everyone of them, run on a molecule called ATP, which is made by mitochondria largely from glucose. Every sugar you ingest can become glucose inside the body. This includes things like fructose, sucrose, lactose and many other carbohydrates (most of which qualify as sugars to begin with).
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 12th, 2014 at 8:48:30 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: reno

What these and other studies strongly suggest is that most of us are seriously damaging ourselves with processed foods high in added sugar, and the damage begins with our brains. Seen in this light, chronic added-sugar consumption is no less a problem than smoking or alcoholism.

I stopped eating sugar in 1973 after a mishap
with it. As a result, I eat no processed food at
all. I make everything from scratch, even sausage
and ground beef. People can't imagine going
40 years without candy or dessert. Humans did
fine for our entire existence without sugar, it's a very
new addition to our diets. I'm convinced it's at
the core of most modern maladies, it provides
no nutrients yet is in everything now. I marvel at
the grocery aisles with all the frozen processed foods,
all loaded with sugar.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 12th, 2014 at 9:53:30 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: Evenbob
all.

I applaud this. But I'm astonished you've had the restraint. Have you eaten at a restaurant since 1973? Have you eaten at a family member's house or been to a wedding since 1973? How do you travel? Do you celebrate Thanksgiving? Not a single bag of potato chips since 1973? Unless you make every meal yourself 365 days per year, it's impossible to avoid processed food.

Back in college I knew a lot of Earth Firster hippie-types who would occasionally make a pronouncement about swearing off dairy or gluten or processessed sugar. It typically lasted a week or two.
November 13th, 2014 at 12:25:41 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: reno
I applaud this. But I'm astonished you've had the restraint. Have you eaten at a restaurant since 1973? .

I only eat at buffets where I get meat and
veggies. At T-giving it's turkey and veggies
and I used to eat bread which has a small
amount of sugar, so I would eat stuffing.

I have cooked all my life and went to the
Cordon Bleu cooking school for 6 months
in San Francisco 30 years ago. I have always
cooked, use crock pots and pressure cookers
a lot. I had a horrible event happen in 1973.

I quit eating sugar for 3 months and then
powered down a bunch of sugar donuts
and it knocked me out cold. My pancreas
dumped so much insulin into my blood
that I went into shock. I realized how bad
sugar was and never looked back. It's
responsible for all the obesity and stress
and a myriad of other things. It really is
an insidious substance.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 13th, 2014 at 6:37:59 AM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Quote: Evenbob
all. I make everything from scratch, even sausage
and ground beef. People can't imagine going
40 years without candy or dessert. Humans did
fine for our entire existence without sugar, it's a very
new addition to our diets. I'm convinced it's at
the core of most modern maladies, it provides
no nutrients yet is in everything now. I marvel at
the grocery aisles with all the frozen processed foods,
all loaded with sugar.

Don't kid yourself. Your sugar delivery system is liquor, which turns to sugar in your gut. I've found people who drink a lot prefer salty snacks, while those who don't, eat pastries for breakfast.
November 13th, 2014 at 9:10:18 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: zippyboy
Don't kid yourself. Your sugar delivery system is liquor, which turns to sugar in your gut. I've found people who drink a lot prefer salty snacks, while those who don't, eat pastries for breakfast.

Good call on all the sugar in liquor.

I've found that many who drink a lot prefer to cook with crock pots or pressure cookers.

I know way back when I drank a lot I only ate 2-3 times per week.

Now it is difficult as we know to keep sugar out of the diet, and as Bob said it is the source of much disease, way worse than cannabis if we are telling the truth without stigma.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 15th, 2014 at 8:12:23 PM permalink
zippyboy
Even here in Washington, campgrounds warn that smoking in public is forbidden. The law here states that up to one ounce is okay for personal consumption in the privacy of your own home, and I consider a tent in a campsite to be an extension of your own home. But the sign says "in view of general public". Some campgrounds say the same thing about alcohol to dissuade frat parties and unruly family reunions, I guess. These signs went up back in July when the legal weed law took effect.

November 15th, 2014 at 11:45:40 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: zippyboy
Even here in Washington, campgrounds warn that smoking in public is forbidden. The law here states that up to one ounce is okay for personal consumption in the privacy of your own home, and I consider a tent in a campsite to be an extension of your own home. But the sign says "in view of general public". Some campgrounds say the same thing about alcohol to dissuade frat parties and unruly family reunions, I guess. These signs went up back in July when the legal weed law took effect.

How do you feel about it? There are good users and well, those that would screw up anything if they touch it. The ability to have a little freedom with this wonderful herb I don't want taken away by some idiot, by abusing the publics trust when they voted it in. The "dopers" getting kids high and losing control with the medibles is going to hurt the cause. These requests seem reasonable to me.

It seems camping at night by a warm fire and good friends would be a perfect time to pass it along.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 16th, 2014 at 7:50:05 AM permalink
zippyboy
Quote: petroglyph
How do you feel about it?

I'm certainly glad it's legal! I went camping nearly every weekend this summer, saw only a few of these signs, but smoked (or vaped rather) whether there was a sign forbidding it or not. I drink out there whether there's a sign forbidding it or not. I don't call attention to myself. I don't understand all the kids who light up in front of cops at Hempfest and wave it around shrieking "It's legal now...can't arrest me!" Idiots.

A brand new pot shop just opened in a nearby town this week, making the total here on the Olympic Peninsula three stores. I'm heading out there today to check out their offerings.

Sure were a lot of weed jokes/skits on SNL last night, with Woody Harrelson hosting, as you might imagine.